Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solar_18May2022.gif

most representative image I could find (18-May). My morning ramp-up, from East panels, is much more dramatic than the evening slow-down (from South)

Bit broad brush, but I'm thinking that East and West arrays would provide most flexibility than South

Reactions: spon88
and 11 West facing

I'll be interested to see how your ramp-up and ramp-down looks, once you have enough data for a graph of a perfect-sun morning / evening :)

I've had a number of clear-sky mornings and they all start almost vertical for a bit (06:30 - 07:00), and then a sharp angle (80 degress-ish) forming a straight line 07:30 - 09:00, and then a bell curve after that

I'll be interested to see how your ramp-up and ramp-down looks, once you have enough data for a graph of a perfect-sun morning / evening :)

I've had a number of clear-sky mornings and they all start almost vertical for a bit (06:30 - 07:00), and then a sharp angle (80 degress-ish) forming a straight line 07:30 - 09:00, and then a bell curve after that
I'm keen to get going but perhaps I was a bit optimistic when I said installed "soon". I'm waiting for some new GivEnergy gear to arrive and it looks like it may be August. So if my kit is in by mid Sept I'll have done well. Just in time for winter :(

A solar installer tells me that my plan of 4 x 545W panels and 4 x 400W panels (as separate strings) won't work and all the panels have to be the same type/wattage. (although we could have been at cross purposes and he thought I wanted to put all the panels as one string)

I'm not convinced of this so I found a manual for the GivEnergy Hybrid inverter (albeit an old one) and found this...

Snag_7bbe72fb.png

The diagram and "... you can connect two independent MPPT channels." sound promising but the section below seems contradictory and ambiguous to me - especially where it says "Same quantity of PV modules...." which implies referring to the 'other' string.

I can't think of any reason why the two strings need to have any reference to each other and the inverter will just deal with whatever power it sees on each channel.
What do you think?

A solar installer tells me that my plan of 4 x 545W panels and 4 x 400W panels (as separate strings) won't work and all the panels have to be the same type/wattage. (although we could have been at cross purposes and he thought I wanted to put all the panels as one string)

I'm not convinced of this so I found a manual for the GivEnergy Hybrid inverter (albeit an old one) and found this...

View attachment 814078

The diagram and "... you can connect two independent MPPT channels." sound promising but the section below seems contradictory and ambiguous to me - especially where it says "Same quantity of PV modules...." which implies referring to the 'other' string.

I can't think of any reason why the two strings need to have any reference to each other and the inverter will just deal with whatever power it sees on each channel.
What do you think?
Could go 2 totally separate smaller inverters? Or edge Inverter per panel?

What do you think?

Where the logic of what you're being told falls down for me, isn't panel type or number... but actual power input. While the installer can match the number and type if they wanted to, there's no way they'd be able to ensure both string output the same Volts/Amps.

So logically I can't see how that restriction works. I wonder if the "same type" is saying not to mix them on a string (which makes sense), not sure about the quantity in series bit though, as above.

What have people done about Planning permission before installing solar in a non conservation area. I know that solar is allowed under the "Permitted Development" rules, but I have seen one installer's contract that says it is my responsibility to to ensure that I have permission.

I assume that the installer will meet all the building regulations requirements.

What have people done about Planning permission before installing solar in a non conservation area. I know that solar is allowed under the "Permitted Development" rules, but I have seen one installer's contract that says it is my responsibility to to ensure that I have permission.

I assume that the installer will meet all the building regulations requirements.
I'm guessing that's a general/generic response to cover them in their terms and conditions -as you say, certain conditions such as conservation areas may require it - just check with your local planning department if you've any doubt/concerns.

Reactions: john19951

Pretty sure it just means that you have to be confident that the permitted development rules apply to you, or if you are in a conservation area you have done whatever you need to do.

Reactions: john19951
Just got a reply back from GivEnergy re. my different panels on different strings plan - he confirmed there is no problem with that but he said a 4 panel string "...may struggle to reach the required 150V for the system to start generating".

I had no idea there was a minimum!
What would cause that - dark winter days?
How likely not to reach 150v?
Do other hybrid converters have a minimum working voltage?
Do micro-inverters also have a minimum voltage to work? (I know that would make it an ac-coupled system)

Just got a reply back from GivEnergy re. my different panels on different strings plan - he confirmed there is no problem with that but he said a 4 panel string "...may struggle to reach the required 150V for the system to start generating".

I had no idea there was a minimum!
What would cause that - dark winter days?
How likely not to reach 150v?
Do other hybrid converters have a minimum working voltage?
Do micro-inverters also have a minimum voltage to work? (I know that would make it an ac-coupled system)
I didn't realise this was an issue myself until it was pointed out to me, I'm probably going to have to leave one input redundant on each Inverter and put 9 panels east and 9 panels west on each string.

Might be of interest to those considering buying batteries. I just had an email from ITS Technologies who import the Pylontech batteries. They're having to raise prices on current orders.

"
We’re having to send out a very difficult update from Pylontech. Unfortunately, we've been losing an ongoing battle with Pylontech and with crazy inflation hitting all products globally we are having to pay current prices on all supplies even on orders placed months ago or we can not receive more stock.

We hoped to make progress but they have enforced this across the board with all distributors and there's nothing we can do. The best we can offer to you as an existing customer is £30+vat/battery discount off the current prices.

We fully appreciate the increase in Pylontech’s prices will lead to some cancellations and for this we sincerely apologise. If you do wish to cancel your order then please send an email to [email protected] and the refund will be processed accordingly. If you’re able to keep your order then there isn’t anything to do at the moment and please don’t complete the balance payment yet, only when stock is confirmed. This link is just to show the current price that we are able to offer with the discount. The Current date that Pylontech have provided for this shipment is towards the end July however if there’s an opportunity to supply from an earlier delivery we will let you know immediately.

Thank you for your understanding

Jonathan Stross

Director"

Just had a call from my supplier, it wasn't on my quote, but apparently I need some Tigo optimisers. Annnd everywhere had run out. They were expecting some in this week, but now its Aug before any come.

Weirdly they say I need optimisers for all the panels on one side - not just the 4 on different slopes? My (superficial) reading of the Tigo marketing blurb is you just need 1 per off angle panel? Anyone have any more experience?

Still in discussions about what compromises we make but thought I should let others know of the shortage.

Just had a call from my supplier, it wasn't on my quote, but apparently I need some Tigo optimisers. Annnd everywhere had run out. They were expecting some in this week, but now its Aug before any come.

Weirdly they say I need optimisers for all the panels on one side - not just the 4 on different slopes? My (superficial) reading of the Tigo marketing blurb is you just need 1 per off angle panel? Anyone have any more experience?

Still in discussions about what compromises we make but thought I should let others know of the shortage.
I'm having them on all panels just so I can monitor them, it makes it easier to identify a faulty panel. My understanding is you don't need them on all, just as you said, or shaded panels etc