Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yup.

I think they do not separate the price for peak/off peak in the the "summary screen", and it looks like they show the most expensive tariff all the time.. However if you look at the "current usage" tab, it will actually show you the current consumption and price per hour, which is accurate.

I do not know why it is the case.
On my E7 tariff it added up the different rates fine, showing cheap usage for filling the various batteries then adding full price units through the day if used. But I agree - I am (was?) lucky - many in house displays aren't worth the transistors they are made from.

Now that I have finally moved into my new place, I will look into Solar panels with battery storage.
Thankfully I have quite a bit of roof space on both my house and garage for me to have a big setup (I hope)

Any recommendations of installers in the Kent area?

bah used 29kwh grid electric last month vs 13kwh in June. although estimated thats £12 vs £11 last month so I assume the mix of peak/off peak was different.

I’ve hopefully now moved my octopus billing to the 1st (was mid-month) which makes it neater for comparing dashboards/reports with bills. Also means this first one will be a 2-week read but my DD will still go out today and finally clear my debit from last year - £100 debit still, £200 payment (ouch) and hopefully £25 electric, £12 gas will get me positive.

Now I’m curious if I can drop the direct debit a bit or stick it out until we get through a winter first and then using autumn to estimate spring electric should be able to get a reasonable read on a stable DD amount

But I agree - I am (was?) lucky - many in house displays aren't worth the transistors they are made from.
Ain't that the truth. Ours failed completely two weeks after the smart meter was installed. So I made my own...

IMG_3769.jpg

Custom board with an ARM Cortex-M7 SoC, plus 7" touchscreen display. Connects via WiFi to an MQTT broker and InfluxDB server, both of which are populated from the Powerwall's local API.

One of these days I might open-source it.

it *might be* that due to IO being dynamic rate (so - different from E7), so it shows the "average" rate
Now that I have finally moved into my new place, I will look into Solar panels with battery storage.
Thankfully I have quite a bit of roof space on both my house and garage for me to have a big setup (I hope)

Any recommendations of installers in the Kent area?
Try to contact Otovo - they are very competitive

I have referal if you interested - you will save few quid

Reactions: Avendit and bainsy
Its an interesting issues as having a EV gives access to the cheapest overnight power

Although, if car is at home during the day, and does a reasonable mileage (bit of an oxymoron, unless you work nights! or have two cars - one-in-the-wash, so to speak) then spilling excess PV to car, instead of using Off Peak (for around 8 months of the year) can help the maths.

Due to roof orientation, shading etc

The shading bothers me, because that can have a big impact. Cut the trees down? (I suppose if that is "demolish the house next door" that's a bit more tricky!)

Orientation would bother me less. East West (IMO) is far better than South. Twice the roof area to put panels on, and East starts up in the morning maybe an hour before South, and West finishes an hour later - both at times when you are more likely to be at home, and can use the generated power. Whereas if you are out-to-work then the bigger spike, on South, at midday might just wind up as Export. If you have a battery you can shove the South-spike into that, but East /West still preferable IMO. In the morning battery may be border-line for empty, and the earlier sun from East will power the house and in the evening the West will keep the house running later, meaning battery takes over later, and has fewer overnight-hours to support the house (than South-only)

Two roof panels is 2x the number of PV panels, of course, but nothing like 2x the total cost.

Even doing North is worthwhile (provided that the North roof is not too steeply sloping). In Summer North will give you around 75% of South, but because, in mid Summer, the sun rises a long way North-of-East, and sets North-of-West, the North PV gets the benefit of Early / Late generation (similar to East & West orientated roof) and lengthen the "solar generating day"

If you've not already found it have a go with PVWatts - do a simulation for each roof area / orientation / slope. I recommend looking at the generation for each month (rather than just "annual")

Reactions: Pete UK
Apologies in advance if this is already covered (life is to short to read this thread) but to the question of is solar worth it in UK

Going through this exercise now. Due to roof orientation, shading etc the best I can hope for is 3000kWh annually. Now with intelligent Octopus peak rate this would equate to approx £900 savings a year assuming I used it all. But once I stick a battery in the mix and have the ability to power house using off peak, which suddenly makes the so-called savings approx £250 annually, which for a £4-8K PV investment is a payback period of decades.

Outcome: Sod the solar, Slap in a GivEnergy All In One battery and payback in under 7-8 years even taking into consideration the VAT I need to pay for a battery only install

I was investigating the difficult to use roof problem for my parents, so generated this pretty picture:
1690886376834.png

This is for really quite far north in Scotland btw, angles of where it starts mattering would change as you head south. As you can see, North east facing on a 25 degree roof is actually still quite productive. In my parent's case they have a multitue of weird shapes, veluxes and so on on the SW roof, but the NE roof is almost completely free of obstructions and sticking 7-10kw on there looks pretty viable.

Other option would be some ground mounted ones somewhere on the field that surrounds the house, but that might run into planning problems that you get a pass on when fitting to the house.

Finally getting my solar installed (20x415 panels, 2 PW2's, 5KW & 3KW solar edge inverters & optimisers) & just like my MWP, the two Powerwalls have been "mislaid in transit" So the installation is stalled.. Why is Tesla so bad at logistics?

Now I’m curious if I can drop the direct debit a bit or stick it out until we get through a winter first and then using autumn to estimate spring electric should be able to get a reasonable read on a stable DD amount

I gave up on expecting accurate DD estimates from energy companies ... and then it was pointed out to me that you can simply ask your supplier to use a Variable DD and then you pay your actual bill amount each month automatically. Brilliant, problem solved ... no build up of money sitting in energy company account and also no build up of debt. Highly recommended!

Reactions: Pete UK and ringi
Yes, I used to be on variable DD with my previous supplier and the same with Octopus since joining four years ago.

With Solar & batteries, usage varies so wildly through the seasons it suits us to just pay what we have consumed each month (June-July was £3.28 plus the standing charge, May-June even less because we were overseas for much of it).

that is mistake. they will not show your rate correctly (at least in my case it is allways BS).

actual bill is correct though.. therefore I always look at the kw of actual consumption
Nah, it was correct from the smart meter and IHD. I paid about £800+ for electricity in December and Jan ~ when I was with OVO !
Unfortunately.

Hence investigating and installing solar + batteries ASAP !

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 10.32.58.png

This is cheating as its only 2 weeks worth - moving my billing date from mid-month to end of month. So the electric is quite high. But importantly for me, that'll be +£80 when my DD goes out tomorrow. Thats a relief after being £500 in debit around this time last year (although technically correct, octpus just didn't read my meter for 6 months and I carried on paying way too little at £80 a month at the time)

As for variable DD - i'd prefer a stable amount and then do corrections at the end of the year. We do that across as much as possible to have stable outgoings. But I'll do the math myself and not rely on the energy company. Then any corrections are on me.

even yearly expenses like insurance, amazon prime etc we work out as a monthly amount and put that in a 'yearly' pot to avoid too many surprises. We also have some buffer in there which is our 'white goods' rainy day so we can afford to replace eg a fridge/dishwasher each year if it goes kaput - then sweep into savings if we dont use it. Although I'm trying to use that to update our kit - like moving to induction hob even though technically the gas isn't broken.