Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All "hand coded", and it's a couple of tesla powerwalls as the battery. Here's an example of the Solcast rule in YAML:

trigger is the times it runs.
action kicks off a solcast update, then waits 1 minute.
Then calls the number set service, value being that formula I mentioned. The device being the device ID of the powerwall.

Happy to share any others, but I suspect with different batteries and the like you may need to tailor to suit your needs.
does this automation comes in the form of coding or there is a template or some sort plug and play thing?

does this automation comes in the form of coding or there is a template or some sort plug and play thing?
You have a visual view of it... but can also view (and so copy and paste) the code behind it, which is that yaml. That said, some things like the above you can't create entirely in the nice view, you have to use the YAML.

I'm not aware of any templates, and I'd say it's pretty straight forward once you've figured out how to get and set all the things you need to. eg. how to get the solar prediction, how to set the battery reserve. Some use different methods.

The whole HA thing can be installed and setup without any of the coding stuff, things get added, dashboard tabs are visually created etc. And clicking things turns them off/on without any code or complexity. But once you get into automation and across multiple APIs and devices, and want to do maths and like it all starts to get a lot more complicated.

I wouldn't go near that unless you've either a -lot- of time, or you've a good IT development background.

You have a visual view of it... but can also view (and so copy and paste) the code behind it, which is that yaml. That said, some things like the above you can't create entirely in the nice view, you have to use the YAML.

I'm not aware of any templates, and I'd say it's pretty straight forward once you've figured out how to get and set all the things you need to. eg. how to get the solar prediction, how to set the battery reserve. Some use different methods.

The whole HA thing can be installed and setup without any of the coding stuff, things get added, dashboard tabs are visually created etc. And clicking things turns them off/on without any code or complexity. But once you get into automation and across multiple APIs and devices, and want to do maths and like it all starts to get a lot more complicated.

I wouldn't go near that unless you've either a -lot- of time, or you've a good IT development background.
I already have HA running, have Growatt and IO integrations running.

just did not have time to set the automation.

I already have HA running, have Growatt and IO integrations running.

just did not have time to set the automation.
That's great,

in which case find out how to set your Growatt settings. Here's an IO automation:
alias: Intelligent Octopus, Charge PW
description: ""
trigger:
- platform: time_pattern
seconds: "15"
condition:
- condition: time
after: "05:35:00"
before: "23:25:00"
weekday:
- mon
- tue
- wed
- thu
- fri
- sat
- sun
- condition: state
entity_id: binary_sensor.octopus_intelligent_slot
state: "on"
action:
- device_id: 60e4b5f3e9834f5eac44bdab9b14eace
domain: select
entity_id: bbf1498fbacb81d3e3307a40598300cc
type: select_option
option: Fast
- service: number.set_value
data:
value: "{{100-((states('sensor.forecast_today') | float)*1.5)|int }}"
target:
device_id: d8411b6adba0fec69752749ff56cec72
mode: single
So first bit runs it every 15 seconds.

The condition checks it's between 05:35 and 23:25.
And that the IO integration says it's an Intelligent slot.

For the actions then, we change the Zappi to Fast mode.
We set the batteries charge to today's forecast, so if it needs more it can take it. Otherwise it'll float.

If you want to set it to it's target to it's current charge use something like this:
alias: One off set PW target to its current charge
description: ""
trigger:
- platform: time
at: "20:00:02"
condition: []
action:
- service: number.set_value
data:
value: "{{(states('sensor.powerwall_charge') | int) }}"
target:
device_id: d8411b6adba0fec69752749ff56cec72
mode: single

As you can see it runs once at 20:00:02, ie. the start of the random IO slot I was given.

Then set the battery target to it's current charge.

Last edited:
This has come up before, so I'm just recapping.

I have a Zappi, but I (now) think this is the wrong approach (of charging car when Export is detected ... and having a mode for "Keep charging at low AMPs when sun goes in - which might be lunchtime, and for the rest of the day ...)

My preference is for "something" to detect that export is occurring and start charging the car.

That can take into account the rate at which the battery is filling - my PV will generate more power than the car can take, so if battery fills and then export to car starts there will still be export. So I need battery to fill and car to charge at same time (when PV is generating those sorts of high numbers, and Solcast is predicting good sun)

I want car to charge when battery gets to, say, 95% and then keep the battery in the 95% - 100% zone (by altering AMPs), rather than (potentially) toggling charging on/off - which is not great for the contactor.

This approach also just needs a dumb charger, and any flexibility / customisation that is required is in the API APP. More upgradable if the Author / customer-feedback has any additional brainwaves

yes this needs eyeballing but it works for me - I check solcast and if its 25kwh or more predicted I should be comfortable doing that. I'll also check the expected ramp down - like when it gets below 1.5kw generated.

I'll kick it in around 80% battery because the battery will only take 3kw (often more like 2.8 towards full) so if its sunny I can both charge the battery and still put 1.4kw into the car, which then ramps up automatically once the battery doesn't need it anymore. The point of Eco mode on the zappi is it *doesnt* pause charging, it'll just reduce amps but if its a good day thats fine, i'll let the clouds come over and nick 5% off the battery if needed and then it'll get paid back before the zappi ramps up again.

its as automated as it could be without me digging into home assistant stuff which I'm not fussed about honestly - it does what I need.

@WannabeOwner, I can see where you are coming from but my setup is relatively simple and the Zappi handles it well.

The main hybrid system only charges a car once the linked batteries are full (after the car is satisfied, all excess is sent to grid). Export payment is 'irrelevant' as I still have 18y remaining with the FIT scheme.

The newer set of panels/batteries have no connection to the car so carry on doing their thing regardless and the DNO in my area will not permit export from these for some inexplicable reason so an export limiter is fitted to that inverter.

Worth noting that you can save quite a few unnecessary triggers by only running these automations when new data becomes available.

To do that your Trigger is a State and then you leave the above/below boxes empty.

For example, run when new solar data becomes available.

• Helpful
Reactions: phil4
I have a 9.5 and its been a gamechanger for me. My only tiny gripe is slightly slow reaction to import/export so I use a little more grid than I‘d hoped - but that might be my system as others with givenergy have not shown the same.

dashboard is fantastic, solar integration to see ahead expected generation to help determine how much to charge teh battery overnight. Super simple to set charge levels during an off peak period etc.

Reactions: Chimpy McChimp

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_171533_644.jpg
    IMG_20230901_171533_644.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 55
Will try and take advantage of a late summer flourish by putting some in the car but I also want to get the AC on. Solar dripping off pretty quickly after 6pm these days so better to keep the temps down inside and then maybe a little blip before bed

Did you get asked for the DNO confirmation reference number (starting ENQ or NC?) When you applied?
Just coming back to this. I contacted my DNO to ask what this number was. They referred me to their "connections department" who seem to be Scottish power who basically said. They don't provide any info with that number reference on it!!! And yet they are the ones asking for it????

Maybe I'd be best just going with British gas.

Further update. I just put the MCS number in that field to enter something. Got to the end of the process and when I click submit nothing happens. Checked all my details and that I clicked the check boxes etc. I'm starting to think they don't want me to sign up.

💩

Last edited:
i got letter from GTC (which is my DNO) which is is just 4 digits. which I have provided.

However I went with Octopus and I got my Export account set up literally net day... applied on Friday, got all set up on Saturday.

glad I did not play with SP...

Yeah. As it stands I've done all the work to apply but still have no idea if I have applied or not.
Other problem is that after successful application they sent through a link to add bank details to facilitate payments but it's the worst, tortuous process ever. Seems to be Spanish..... tried it twice and each time it gave an error. Reported this to Scottish Power and lo and behold, nothing back.