Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my research on the Growatt kit is not filling me with confidence. They appear to be a budget brand and there is a lot of ‘you get what you pay for’ type of feedback out there

I’ve just had a good chat with Octopus and they’ve given me a very detailed quote for 16 x JASolar panels, a Givenergy Hybrid 5kw inverter and a 9.5kWh Givenergy battery, all fitted for just over £16k. It’s about £3.5k more than the quote I got for the equivalent size Growatt setup but from what I gather, Givenergy is superior in every way (plus the fitting backed by a company the size of Octopus). The detailed Octopus quote is great and includes estimates on how shading from some nearby trees would affect generation. Payback is estimated at 8 - 9 years. I could even double up the batteries for just an extra £3.5k but that would increase payback to around 11 years.

I’ve got another installer coming to tomorrow to do a quote to include a Solaredge inverter and Tesla Powerwall 2, so will be interesting to see how much more that will come in at.

At the moment I’m leaning towards the Givenergy kit fitted by Octopus, unless the Powerwall quote surprises me!
Apparently Octopus will be offering the GivEnergy all in one 'soon', which is a cheaper powerwall 2 alternative (mine is being installed as I write this though not via Octopus as could not be arsed waiting). Main advantage it has over PW2 is LFP and not NMC batteries which are 'safer' and 6 kW constant/7.2 kW peak output means have full house backup.

Reactions: notmeguv
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. A single 9.5kWh is probably only slightly too small but should allow me to charge the battery and top up the car in the 6 hour IO window (I think). The almost 3 years faster payoff is more attractive and as you say is within the 10 year warranty.
I takes about 4 hours to charge a 9.5 kWh battery. Car charging is essentially irrelevant, that happens in parallel.

The payback just on the second battery would probably be 20 years+ if a single 9.5 kWh is only just too small. It would be nice to not have to use any full price electricity but in just financial terms it doesn't stack up.

The installer might be able to help advise on second battery. I asked about it when requesting quotes and they spoke me out of it based on expected usage, solar generation and cost of the second battery. I approached it with a "more=better" mindset but was set straight on that (for our scenario anyway)

Apparently Octopus will be offering the GivEnergy all in one 'soon', which is a cheaper powerwall 2 alternative (mine is being installed as I write this though not via Octopus as could not be arsed waiting). Main advantage it has over PW2 is LFP and not NMC batteries which are 'safer' and 6 kW constant/7.2 kW peak output means have full house backup.
How much was your All-in-one if you don’t mind me asking? Looking at prices online there isn’t a big difference to PW2 price now. The installer said the prices of PW2 have come down recently due to launch of PW3. He’s quoting PW2 including gateway, fully fitted £7500. Still around £2k more than the Givenergy though.

I’ll ask Octopus when they expect to offer the all in one.

My PowerWalls will sense what other usage there is in the house and drop the kW (from 10kW to 3.5kW from memory), which can result in the batteries not charging fully within their allotted off peak window.
Yes, mine will do that as I've set a Site Import Limit to 22kW (about 95A at a nominal 230V) for the depths of winter when I've got heat pumps and immersion heater running, car and batteries charging. You probably have an Import Limit set as well, but it sounds like it could be fairly low.
What's your main fuse rating?

Sorry, no not saying that, just that my PowerWalls do throttle back at times of other high uses. We can have 2x cars charging (i.e. 2x 7kW) and maybe another 5-10kW usage peak overnight (if Immersion and White Goods on Schedule all coincide)
Ah, right. Apologies, I misunderstood what you meant. Yes, I observe the same behaviour with mine.
Out of interest, what is the maximum import that yours allow and is it specifically set on your Gateway configuration?

Reactions: WannabeOwner
How much was your All-in-one if you don’t mind me asking? Looking at prices online there isn’t a big difference to PW2 price now. The installer said the prices of PW2 have come down recently due to launch of PW3. He’s quoting PW2 including gateway, fully fitted £7500. Still around £2k more than the Givenergy though.

I’ll ask Octopus when they expect to offer the all in one.
About same including VAT. Problem I had is I could see Tesla had dropped PW prices (£5,800 for PW & Gateway excl VAT, delivery and installation)but installers where still trying to charge me about £9k-10k and telling me I could get a £350 rebate.

So between that and the Givenergy LFP and larger power output, I went Givenergy.

I had patiently been waiting for the now available in US PW3 but lost patience.

Based on the fun the installer is having, the commissioning process at end is 'entertaining'.

Worth noting integration with Octopus and its various smart tariffs seems comprehensive

Last edited:
Have you tried an online switch using this link Outgoing Octopus

Provide your MCS details etc. Mine just sailed through.

No, I haven’t. Everyone said it’d just be a quick email or a phone call !

I’ll wait for their reply and try your link if I get no joy. Thanks.

So you switched straight from the “Octopus Outgoing SEG - 4.1p” to “Outgoing Octopus -15p” using that link then? Whilst already on Intelligent Octopus? Just to clarify.

I’ve already supplied my MCS details. But if no joy I’ll try using the online links. Thanks again.
So bizarre, they are giving me grief. 😂

It’s like the classic “Computer says NO” sketch.

No, I haven’t. Everyone said it’d just be a quick email or a phone call !

I’ll wait for their reply and try your link if I get no joy. Thanks.

So you switched straight from the “Octopus Outgoing SEG - 4.1p” to “Outgoing Octopus -15p” using that link then? Whilst already on Intelligent Octopus? Just to clarify.

I’ve already supplied my MCS details. But if no joy I’ll try using the online links. Thanks again.
So bizarre, they are giving me grief. 😂

It’s like the classic “Computer says NO” sketch.
Well I switched directly from Agile Outgoing while on IO, but that's a whole other story :D

Reactions: Pete UK
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. A single 9.5kWh is probably only slightly too small but should allow me to charge the battery and top up the car in the 6 hour IO window (I think). The almost 3 years faster payoff is more attractive and as you say is within the 10 year warranty.

The 13.5kWh of the Powerwall should more than cover average use. Fitter is due in a couple of hours to prepare a quote for that so will be able to compare prices.
Lots to think about.

It was a toss up between the Powerwall(s) and GivEnergy for me. I went with GivEnergy in the end. Mostly because of the cost of the battery size I needed and waiting time/ price / plus some extra flexibility.
I’ve been a bit unlucky and need some bits replacing and the GE customer service is slow but it’s in hand (think 3-5 weeks to 2 months). They didn’t argue that things need replacing but just slow to come out. Luckily I’ve been able to hobble along on half a system.
But that seems to be the industry norm.
The Powerewall is a very good option too and has its advantages and disadvantages, like them all. Seamless and Plays well with the rest of the Tesla kit but as it’s an AC system there are more conversion losses (3x conversions DC—> AC—>DC—>AC ~ 9% instead of ~ 3% with the GE hybrid kit for one conversion)

Do you know what your annual/ monthly usage is? You really need to have a rough idea. This will give you a much better idea of what size batteries you need. Do you have an EV? Heat pump? Etc? Future heat pump installation a near/distant possibility? You’ll want extra for that for sure.

In the last two weeks things have changed significantly with the addition of import rates of 7.5p and export rates at 15p (cough cough) So now it’s just fill ‘em up for 7.5p and solar generation and battery fills (which can be exported to grid at 15p) are giving you twice what you imported from grid up for. And all Solar export generated for free at 100% of the 15p

To give you a rough idea. We used 19,000 kW last year (4,500 was the car; Model Y ~ 13,000 miles worth) rest was the house. Paid about £6,500 last year for electricity it that would be £4,800 at todays 31p rate; Mostly high use in winter (old 3 storey Victorian semi with solid walls and crap insulation and the dreaded electric underfloor heating mats which seemed sleek and cool at the time 😱).
Should be about £1,000 this year. Plus/minus £400! Might be much less. Don’t know yet- only installed solar 2.5 months ago)
We’re on gas central heating and some underfloor. Which hasn’t been turned on yet.

Payback times are a bit of a red herring to be honest. One minute it’s 6 years, the next it’s 10 years, then it’s 12 years then something else.
Rates/ suppliers and import/ export tariffs come and go all the time, so it’s really hard to say “yeah - 8 year payback”. You’ll only truly know after the event. And if you rigorously geek out and keep track of it.

We went for 2x GIV 5.0 gen3 inverters and 4x 9.5kW batteries. 27x 420w panels Solar split over 4 non-ideal facing roofs. South, East, North. Probably we will generate about 6,000-7,000kW a year. TBC

Not trying to talk you into anything but if it’s borderline. Maybe go for the extra battery storage space. It’s 0% vat right now and you won’t be paying extra for installers to come out again and the extra 20% VAT next time.

I’ve never met anyone that said “yeah, you know what, I really should have got a bit less battery storage” same for solar panels.

Forums are full of people adding both extra panels and battery storage and wishing they had done it day one.

All that said if it’s only like 10% extra and you don’t plan to add a heat pump, extra EV’s etc then might not be worth it.

Let us know how you get on 👍🏻

The installer might be able to help advise on second battery. I asked about it when requesting quotes and they spoke me out of it based on expected usage, solar generation and cost of the second battery. I approached it with a "more=better" mindset but was set straight on that (for our scenario anyway)
Again, the 15p export combined with IO means a second battery could earn over 2k in its life time by dumping power to the grid at useful times. I don't think it's enough to flip the equation, but if the second battery is -almost- viable it could help?

Or that offer could be taken away next month, or you could be paid 50p/kw to export 4pm to 7pm.

Not sure what point I'm trying to make, just highlighting some possibilities!

Reactions: Pete UK
That's where I was headed. Trying to predict all sorts of different scenarios. In the end I went round and round in circles so just decided to make the decision based on my current situation. Yes, at some point in the future I may look back and wish I'd added that second battery. But hindsight is always 20/2 as they say.

Reactions: Avendit