Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when they're just charging Off Peak they are usually pulling 3.5kW each

Mine are 10kW for the pair (again : IIRC) when on Time-Based, but they drop back if there is heavy load elsewhere in the house - e.g. car charging. Pretty sure they drop back to 3.5kW (rather than proportionately for whatever the other heavy load(s) is - if I charge 2x cars, overnight, the PW charging drops back the same as 1x car charging)

16 South Facing, and 32 (I think) Slightly South of East

If not already tried you might want to try an estimation with PVWatts

Useful to know. If I manually force mine to 100% (e.g. at start of Off Peak) (using Self-Powered, rather than Time-Based) the PWs charge at 3.5kW rather than their normal 10kW ... which means that they may not fully charge before Off peak ends. Dunno if you will have that limitation.
I watched the automation switch it to 100% reserve at 23:30 last night and it immediately started charging at 5kW. That was still on time-based.

I watched the automation switch it to 100% reserve at 23:30 last night and it immediately started charging at 5kW. That was still on time-based.

I don't think I have manually pushed mine to 100% on Time Based (i.e. outside the set charging time schedule). Would be interesting to see if that does Full Tilt.

In the Summer I use Self-Powered because PV (longer days) will provide enough for house, fully charge the PowerWalls and PWs will last from PV-sundown to sun-up ... but ... if I know that tomorrow will be cloudy or I need extra juice (anticipating daytime car charging [e.g. visitor]), and I want to charge PowerWalls Off Peak, and raise to 100% during Off Peak for that reason, then I only get (from memory) 3.5kW (2x PW)

I don't think I have manually pushed mine to 100% on Time Based (i.e. outside the set charging time schedule). Would be interesting to see if that does Full Tilt.

In the Summer I use Self-Powered because PV (longer days) will provide enough for house, fully charge the PowerWalls and PWs will last from PV-sundown to sun-up ... but ... if I know that tomorrow will be cloudy or I need extra juice (anticipating daytime car charging [e.g. visitor]), and I want to charge PowerWalls Off Peak, and raise to 100% during Off Peak for that reason, then I only get (from memory) 3.5kW (2x PW)
At an export price of twice the import, I suspect most of our charging habits and self-consumption will change this coming summer...

At an export price of twice the import, I suspect most of our charging habits and self-consumption will change this coming summer...

Yep. My plans have now flipped completely.

I'll be charging my Powerwalls to 100% every night... exporting all Solar, and then exporting Powerwalls completely before 23:30

Cars will be Grid charged to 80% every day (hoping to connect this with free Grid Power notifications when this finally happens)

Then rinse & repeat...

Combined with Winter Saving Sessions export, I might use 15 MWh next year and not pay anything for it... amazing result.

Last edited:
I haven’t got my export tariff yet, but what’s the best way to achieve this? Just set the reserve to something low an appropriate amount of time before 23:30?
Set the tariffs, set the Powerwall to "Export everything" and it should do it all for you.
I am interested to see how the AI is going to manage things...

I am interested to see how the AI is going to manage things...

That is a fair point. The charge and discharge shenanigans with the saving sessions hasn't gone well with the battery not charging fully overnight in my case. I dont think the randomness of how it was done helped... After a bit of training, it has now been charging to 100% over night for the last few days.

I know HA can be a solution but I dont really have the time and inclination these days to mess around with such things such as I was about 20 years ago.

Hi - do you happen to have a screenshot of this forecast? I can’t seem to find it on the app or the browser!

sure

dashboard with solar section on the side (you have to add this by editing the dashboard)
IMG_1557.jpeg

clicking on the expand button brings it full screen
IMG_1558.jpeg

and clicking on individual days shows you in more detail
IMG_1559.jpeg

Reactions: WannabeOwner