Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar PV News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... going by your graphs 'STC's are ~ kWh/watt production at STC

REC Registry - What is a REC

'Small-scale technology certificates (STCs) are created for eligible installations of solar water heaters, air source heat pumps and small generation units (small-scale solar panels, wind and hydro-electricity systems). One STC is generally equivalent to:

1 MWh of renewable electricity generated by a small generation unit...'

1 MWh of renewable electricity generated by a small generation unit...'
Yes, I understand. There was a thought behind the STC label appropriation. It appears to be an attempt to generalize the idea of displacing fossil energy. When it comes to PV, if a kW array produces 1 MWh per year at STC conditions it is called a "1 STC" system.

MWh/kWSTC-Year
equals
kWh/watt
STC-Year

Which brings us back to what I keep telling you:
The annual system generation of PV in kWh/watts per year is labeled its 'STCs'

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
No, you use it as a unit equal to one kWh/watt annual production at STC conditions.

not in australia.

In Australia STC refers to 2 very separate ideas
solar panel - STC (Standard Test Condition): Irradiance 1000 W/m², Module Temperature 25 °C, etc etc etc
renewable energy certificate - STCs Small-scale technology certificates ~ 1 MWh of PV. (not at STC (Standard Test Condition) but at localized production approximation)

Last edited:
US residential solar set for a record-breaking year — despite and because of 2020

Over the course of this strange year, American residential solar companies such as Sunrun, Vivint, SunPower and Tesla claimed they could weather the Covid storm with remote selling and new online strategies. It turns out they were right. BloombergNEF forecasts that Americans will install 3 gigawatts of solar on residential rooftops in 2020.

As we’ve reported, Covid-19’s sudden arrival put resiliency at the forefront of people’s minds and accelerated adoption of digital sales practices.

“Early indications are that even if the country enters a prolonged economic downturn with poor consumer confidence, people will still want solar,” Jurich said during Sunrun’s earnings call.

1 kW location Alice Springs
upload_2020-10-8_11-19-4.png

11 years deeming, 17 STCs
upload_2020-10-8_11-21-4.png

1.94MWh per year gives 21MWh over the deeming period of 11 years, drop some out for age related system degradation, and the end result is about 1 STC (Australian credit) is about 1MWh. which is different to 1 kW (STC - global rating) which here gives almost 2 STCs (Australian credit) depending on location and deeming period remaining.

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-8_11-18-43.png
    upload_2020-10-8_11-18-43.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 52
  • upload_2020-10-8_11-20-7.png
    upload_2020-10-8_11-20-7.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 33
Solar-plus-storage replaces coal plant in New Mexico, makes carbon-capture retrofit moot

The debate over how to replace the generation capacity that will be lost following the closing of the 847-MW coal-fired San Juan Generating Station in June of 2022 is officially over, with Public Service Company of New Mexico (PNM) opting to move forward with four solar-plus-storage projects in San Juan’s stead.

“Some of it is policy-driven, we have the Energy Transition Act, but I have to believe that most of it is market-driven. These are deals that are from $18-25 per MWh – that’s cheap electricity. it’s a business decision as much as anything. They’re a regulated utility that must be responsive to its rate base. This is one way it gets there.”

“Some of it is policy-driven, we have the Energy Transition Act, but I have to believe that most of it is market-driven. These are deals that are from $18-25 per MWh – that’s cheap electricity. it’s a business decision as much as anything. They’re a regulated utility that must be responsive to its rate base. This is one way it gets there.”
The NM PUC rejected PNM's recc for NG+PV

What are the advantages to vertical panels? Less space required between racks? Easier to mow inbetween?

From a layperson's perspective, it doesn't seem like the benefits outweigh the production lost by pointing the panels at an optimal angle.
I think the vertical panels maximize agriculture. They use bifacial panels to minimize solar loss from vertical mount.

From a layperson's perspective, it doesn't seem like the benefits outweigh the production lost by pointing the panels at an optimal angle.

As panels prices keep falling and mid-day solar production increasingly saturates the grid I expect that we'll see more and more vertically mounted solar. The 'optimum' angle is going to be what captures the most energy just before sunset which is ~vertical.

As panels prices keep falling and mid-day solar production increasingly saturates the grid I expect that we'll see more and more vertically mounted solar. The 'optimum' angle is going to be what captures the most energy just before sunset which is ~vertical.
I'm installing a new array. Faces South West. Should have good afternoon production.