Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar PV News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Healdsburg, the only municipal utility in Sonoma County, California has installed a floating solar array over their wastewater treatment ponds. It is allegedly the largest floating PV array in the US today. The system is owned and operated by a third party developer and will not increase rates over the duration of the 25 year PPA. The municipal electricity rates are 40-50% below the PG&E rates in the surrounding communities. The primary purpose of the floating array was to reduce algae growth in the ponds. The water from the ponds is provided to local vineyards for irrigation.

That's kinda sh*tty ;)

.... I thought the idea was to ENCOURAGE evaporation? The treatment plant here has a center-pivot where they spray hopefully treated water onto a field to get rid of it.
Encourage evaporation? Not when you're trying to recycle the water into irrigation. This is a "tertiary pond" whatever that means. I assume it is well along the line since the undesirable parts of the sewage are separated.

Encourage evaporation? Not when you're trying to recycle the water into irrigation. This is a "tertiary pond" whatever that means. I assume it is well along the line since the undesirable parts of the sewage are separated.

Ah... I think some treatment plants are just trying to safely dispose of the water. I think that's what the one here does. IIRC that water can only be used to irrigate landscaping and such. I guess it's gonna vary a lot from place to place. I know Palo Verde nuclear plant gets 100% of its cooling water from waste treatment so reducing evaporation there would also be beneficial.

The U.S. Solar Market Insight 2020 Year-in-Review report, released by the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) and Wood Mackenzie, found that the industry installed a record 19.2 GW of capacity last year. That was a 43% increase from 2019 and bested the market’s previous annual record of 15.1 GW set in 2016.

For the first time, Wood Mackenzie also released a long-term forecast as part of the U.S. Solar Market Insight report series. By 2030, it expects that the total operating U.S. solar fleet will more than quadruple, installing a cumulative 324 GW of new capacity to reach a total of 419 GW.

Reactions: SmartElectric

The U.S. Solar Market Insight 2020 Year-in-Review report, released by the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) and Wood Mackenzie, found that the industry installed a record 19.2 GW of capacity last year. That was a 43% increase from 2019 and bested the market’s previous annual record of 15.1 GW set in 2016.

For the first time, Wood Mackenzie also released a long-term forecast as part of the U.S. Solar Market Insight report series. By 2030, it expects that the total operating U.S. solar fleet will more than quadruple, installing a cumulative 324 GW of new capacity to reach a total of 419 GW.
Capacity installation really needs to be capacity factor weighted when comparing, with natural gas needing to be split in 2, because there's such a dramatic difference between capacity factors for CCGT and CT.

Reactions: mspohr
Battle in California over net metering, fixed costs

Later this year, the California Public Utilities Commission expects to update the rules over how owners of rooftop solar systems are compensated and if the past is any indication, the debate will be a fierce one between the state’s utilities and the solar industry.

Under net energy metering, solar customers can offset most, if not all, of their bills. As more customers put up rooftop solar, utilities have long said that means the fixed costs are spread over a smaller number of customers who do not have solar and those non-solar customers end up paying higher bills — hence, a cost-shift.

The California Solar and Storage Association dismissed the cost-shift argument, saying utilities have long pushed up infrastructure and transmission costs “in order to generate tremendous profits and payouts to shareholders” and cited the CPUC white paper that mentioned that under the system that guarantees power companies a rate of return, they “are inherently incentivized to make investments to drive an increase in their rate base and therefore, their profitability.”

The group blasted a pair of other items in the utilities’ proposal. The first is a proposed Distributed Generation Successor Tariff that would work out to about $24 a month for an SDG&E customer. Plus, a proposed Residential Grid Benefits Charge that would charge an SDG&E customer about $11 per kilowatt on a solar system.

Reactions: SmartElectric
The group blasted a pair of other items in the utilities’ proposal. The first is a proposed Distributed Generation Successor Tariff that would work out to about $24 a month for an SDG&E customer. Plus, a proposed Residential Grid Benefits Charge that would charge an SDG&E customer about $11 per kilowatt on a solar system.

If this $h!t gets implemented, I'm going off grid. I'm almost there now, but I'll pull the plug for sure if I have to pay $30+/mo to just connect to SGD&E's crappy grid.

If this $h!t gets implemented, I'm going off grid. I'm almost there now, but I'll pull the plug for sure if I have to pay $30+/mo to just connect to SGD&E's crappy grid.
For others, here are the proposed NEM "Customer Charges" from the document.
Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 11.36.48 AM.png

And the "Grid Benefits Charge":
Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 12.00.25 PM.png

What I'm trying to fully understand are the provisions in (5).
Today, NEM customers are credited the retail rate for each kWh they export to the grid. When they are net exporters, customers are able to carry forward (“bank”) credits to offset any future grid consumption nettable charges until their annual true-up. Customers are “trued-up” annually on their interconnection anniversary, and any net exported kWh for the year is paid out at the Net Surplus Compensation (NSC) rate as a cash payment.

In general, this arrangement allows customers to use their bank of credits to offset nettable charges from consumption at a later date, creating a mismatch of both costs. For example, customers who over-generate and are net exporters in March and April, when generation costs are relatively low, are able to carry those credits forward and potentially offset consumption in August and September, when the cost of energy is relatively high. Additionally, many NEM customers today do not receive appropriate price signals. Those NEM customers who take service on a TOU rate can use their generation from the middle of the day (typically an off-peak or mid-peak time period) and offset their consumption in the high-cost evening hours, when the sun is not shining and solar customers are not generating energy.

In this proceeding, the Joint IOUs propose the following for residential and non-residential customer groups:
  • DG-ST customers will pay the retail rate for all delivered energy;
  • For each billing cycle (usually monthly), a customer’s exported energy will be priced at the applicable ECR depending on TOU period, up to the amount that is delivered to the customer in that same TOU period;
  • Any remaining exported energy not subject to the export compensation rates will be paid at the monthly NSC rate, like how current NEM customers are compensated at the end of their relevant period;
  • No energy credits will be banked and carried forward from prior billing cycles.

The Joint IOUs propose a net billing structure, where all energy delivered to the customer on meter Channel 1/Channel A is billed at the retail rate, and all energy exported to the grid on meter Channel 2/Channel B is compensated at the ECR discussed in Section II.B.4. above. This design—where customers cannot be compensated for kWh beyond what they receive from the grid—is necessary to ensure that customers do not receive an inappropriate incentive to oversize their systems, which would occur if the Commission were to adopt an arrangement where customers are compensated for unlimited exports.

Under the Joint IOU proposal, customers will be credited for every kWh exported to the grid, up to the amount of kWh they import from the grid. This feature would encourage storage, as customers would have an incentive to consume their generation onsite. Because the IOUs are proposing export compensation that is TOE differentiated, customers will only be allowed to offset within each TOU period. In other words, customers will not be able to offset kWh produced and exported during low-cost hours (during the mid-day off- or mid-peak hours) against grid consumption during high-cost on-peak hours. This will providebetter price signals than allowing customers to use over-generation during the day when wholesale market prices are low and the IOUs are forced to curtail utility-scale solar generation, to offset their consumption in the evening hours. Under the Joint IOU proposal, customers cannot carry over export credits from one month to the next month. Currently, at a customer’s annual true-up, the IOU adds up the net of each month’s kWh. If the customer has net negative kWh (is a net exporter), then those negative kWh are compensated at the NSC rate. This means that significant generation and exports in the spring months can provide customers with bill credits that can be used in summer when customers are pulling a greater share of their energy from the grid and costs are higher.

The current annual true-up cycle is not an effective policy tool and its removal would ensure that credits meant for renewable energy are not being used for grid energy that contains a mix of renewable and fossil fuel sources. Customer export compensation would be aligned with billing cycles, allowing customers to more accurately track their system’s production and impact on bills. As described further in Section VI.A., this approach should also enhance consumer protection measures consistent with the Commission’s Guiding Principles. Changing the true-up period from an annual period to a monthly period will also reduce unexpectedly high bills that some NEM customers face at the end of their annual true-up period that can surprise and challenge customers financially.

If I'm understanding this correctly, they're proposing that we end the annual true-up, purportedly partially because some NEM customers don't "expect" their true up numbers, despite getting monthly statements (yeah, right). They are also trying to make a point about over generation in March/April to offset consumption in August. I suppose in areas with a lot of HVAC load that may be the case, but I can assure you that in Sonoma, I'm spinning the dial backwards like mad in August but generally consuming in March.

If I'm reading this correctly, and I certainly hope I am not, it appears to be suggesting that they are proposing netting up on a monthly basis, and paying for overproduction at the NSC rate. If that's the case, it'll likely triple (or more) the ROI timeframe on solar installations. My annual true-up looks something like a sine curve, with overproduction all summer that helps to offset underproduction in the winter. The NSC rates are garbage and won't do anything to offset my winter consumption.

Thoughts on that.. or hopefully corrections where I'm mistaken?

Editing to append: I recognize this is for new solar customers, but will likely affect any significant increase in system size for existing customers. Also, it matters when it comes to new PV installations because the ROI is so significantly affected.

Last edited:
View attachment 645004
View attachment 645015

If I'm understanding this correctly, they're proposing that we end the annual true-up, purportedly partially because some NEM customers don't "expect" their true up numbers, despite getting monthly statements (yeah, right). They are also trying to make a point about over generation in March/April to offset consumption in August. I suppose in areas with a lot of HVAC load that may be the case, but I can assure you that in Sonoma, I'm spinning the dial backwards like mad in August but generally consuming in March.

If I'm reading this correctly, and I certainly hope I am not, it appears to be suggesting that they are proposing netting up on a monthly basis, and paying for overproduction at the NSC rate. If that's the case, it'll likely triple (or more) the ROI timeframe on solar installations. My annual true-up looks something like a sine curve, with overproduction all summer that helps to offset underproduction in the winter. The NSC rates are garbage and won't do anything to offset my winter consumption.

Editing to append: I recognize this is for new solar customers, but will likely affect any significant increase in system size for existing customers. Also, it matters when it comes to new PV installations because the ROI is so significantly affected.
Monthly net with no winter/summer carryover will kill the value of solar. (Looks like they are also proposing to limit TOU over/under production to each band.
Fortunately, I have a different small utility provider (Liberty Utilities) but I'm sure they are watching this proceeding to see how it works out.

Reactions: ohmman
View attachment 645004
View attachment 645015

BINGO! Winner winner chicken dinner!

ANY change to your PV system, OR your rate plan (like that shiny new EV-TOU plan? changing to it would remove you from your grandfathered connectivity charges).

I would bet my not-small solar system that adding batteries to an existing PV system would also trigger a re-set as well.

Did I mention the rates for SDG&E are up to 60.9c/kwh now?

• Informative
Monthly net with no winter/summer carryover will kill the value of solar. (Looks like they are also proposing to limit TOU over/under production to each band.
Fortunately, I have a different small utility provider (Liberty Utilities) but I'm sure they are watching this proceeding to see how it works out.

For most people. But the flips side of this is that solar has gotten cheap enough now that people might just deploy solar based upon their winter production numbers and aim for 100% coverage on that.

It would make the duck curve go even more crazy in the summer months, but these greedy F-ers deserve everything coming to them.

Those changes certainly would encourage storage. I've been waiting for the cost of storage to drop ca. 50%, but under this regime I suspect could justify it today.

But wouldn't it be smarter to incentivize utilities to install storage at the substation level, so it'd be shared by as many customers as possible? That ought to be a more efficient way to use limited battery supply, as well as providing grid resiliency and cutting transmission costs.

I wonder how this would play out in CCA/CCE areas?

For most people. But the flips side of this is that solar has gotten cheap enough now that people might just deploy solar based upon their winter production numbers and aim for 100% coverage on that.

I would make the duck curve go even more crazy in the summer months, but these greedy F-ers deserve everything coming to them.
But aren't they going to penalize you with a monthly $/kW charge?

But aren't they going to penalize you with a monthly $/kW charge?

Possibly. I'm still steaming over the first few paragraphs of the proposal and haven't fully digested it yet.

Again, my backup is to go off-grid, and install a natural-gas generator in order to cover for any times (week straight of rain) when we cannot be fully self-sufficient on solar.

I looked through last year's numbers, and before adding an additional 4kw to our system, we were 96% self-sufficient. I'm already exporting like mad to the grid in Jan and Feb of this year, except when we had a week straight of rain.

The $11/kW monthly fee is bat-sh*t crazy. I'm talking criminal levels of crazy. I don't see any justification for that. If they're going to go down that road, just let me choose a non-NEM plan and I will put on an export limiter like they do in Hawaii.

If they are going to go to monthly true-up, they should be forced to compensate at the retail TOU generation rate, not the NSC rate. They are already shrinking the Generation rate and increasing the T&D (transmission and distribution) rate in response to CCAs. This also makes me wonder how this will work with CCAs. Will PG&E just drop all compensation for excess T&D compensation (beyond grid export above grid consumption) and let the CCA do whatever they want with Generation?

I would ALMOST give my first born for Tesla Energy to come in and become a "state-wide CCA" that was exclusively for their customers. You have PWs? You are in. Tesla Solar? You are in.

This state NEEDS competition so badly. Without it, we all sit here and just get so pissed off that these crazy stunts being pulled by the gov-sponsored utilities.

I would ALMOST give my first born for Tesla Energy to come in and become a "state-wide CCA" that was exclusively for their customers. You have PWs? You are in. Tesla Solar? You are in.

This state NEEDS competition so badly. Without it, we all sit here and just get so pissed off that these crazy stunts being pulled by the gov-sponsored utilities.
We also need Tesla to get off their butts and provide a way to get us $1/kWh for our battery energy during high demand grid events.