Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar PV News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We also need Tesla to get off their butts and provide a way to get us $1/kWh for our battery energy during high demand grid events.
One detail I found interesting in the recent Texas outages was the absence of reports of people congregating.

I expect Tesla folk to be smarter. We can make a deal with Starbucks so that we can park at a grid connection spot, charge up $9/kWh for our battery energy, and sip ice Mochas in a highly efficient community setting.

Reactions: mspohr
I may have to install a huge ground mount array in the shape of a middle finger.

OR...
creative-lawn.JPG

My issue with all of this is less about me and more about the fact that it will flip the incentives for personal PV installation to be near zero. In an attempt to address equity issues with NEM, which I acknowledge are real and do require a thoughtful solution, they ironically are going to disincentivize customers who were marginally able to make the switch to PV. That doesn't sound terribly equitable. I can install my big middle finger array but middle class families crunching the numbers on their own energy independence are going to throw their hands in the air when they don't make a sound investment. Instead, they'll be stuck on the teat of the utility, paying rates the CPUC invariably will agree are fair.

I find it likely that these changes will modify the adoption rate of rooftop PV so as to jeopardize SB32's goals. Of course, the answer the utilities will have for this is likely that they are going to increase the utility solar blend to account for the decrease in rooftop PV installations. Wouldn't that be convenient..

There are competing goals here. Utility solvency and the grid's economic sustainability are important. NEM customers should bear their fair share of the costs and not overly burden those who cannot afford to make an installation. But we have the societal cost of carbon and other energy pollution, which disproportionately affects those of lower income, and removing the option for distributed solar puts greater burden on the grid. We need to encourage more PV, not less. It's entirely possible this will just force higher net worth individuals to make the shift to pure energy independence, which will put an even greater burden on those stuck with the grid.

In the end, utilities are all the same. They are happy to "go green" as long as they do it for you and keep you paying the same high prices.
Isn't that because we* have given them the wrong incentives? As I understand it, today they earn guaranteed profits by building infrastructure, which encourages generation far from demand centers and large-scale transmission in between. Instead couldn't we reform utilities so that they profit from decarbonization and grid resiliency, and pay penalties otherwise?

* Well, PUC official appointed by our elected representatives.

Isn't that because we* have given them the wrong incentives? As I understand it, today they earn guaranteed profits by building infrastructure, which encourages generation far from demand centers and large-scale transmission in between. Instead couldn't we reform utilities so that they profit from decarbonization and grid resiliency, and pay penalties otherwise?

* Well, PUC official appointed by our elected representatives.
That is part of the problem it all comes down to Money.

That is part of the problem it all comes down to Money.

AND lack of competition.

Tesla is a profit-driven company. The difference is that they exist in a landscape that requires them to be competitive to excel.

We, John-Q voter/taxpayer have allowed the CA utilities to be regionalized monopolies. Monopolies ALWAYS put profit first because there is ZERO competitive pressure.

Instead of "how can we regulate these companies better" (which they will always find a loophole around), we should be asking ourselves "how to we foster competition". Competition will FORCE these companies to become more efficient, and the consumer wins through better and lower-priced products.

EDIT - the problem faced is not one exclusive to CA, it's common throughout power companies in the US. CA is just the extreme example at this time.

We need to encourage more PV, not less. It's entirely possible this will just force higher net worth individuals to make the shift to pure energy independence, which will put an even greater burden on those stuck with the grid.
For now, off-grid is a lot more expensive for just about everybody compared to grid with every cost extravaganza a utility can concoct. However, that will change, and if the utilities do not learn to get along with their residential base soon, they will not get the opportunity again.

What is getting along ? It means learning to adapt to a decreasing revenue base by being able to shrink fixed costs. Lower CEO salary, a streamlined and efficient bureaucracy, no lobbying ... there is a long list. The utility argument that fixed costs are all lines and transformers is horse-*sugar*.

As an aside, utilities are operating under the assumptions that on/off grid is a unitary choice, and that net metering is required for residential PV to be a cost savings for consumers. Both of those assumptions are going to fall, and soon.

I expect to put in PV soon (barring HOA shenanigans) and I will setup my home to consume close to 100% of my generation. Isolating my generation from the grid connection is not required for now, but it is not a big competitive barrier utilities can rely on.

As an aside, utilities are operating under the assumptions that on/off grid is a unitary choice, and that net metering is required for residential PV to be a cost savings for consumers. Both of those assumptions are going to fall, and soon.

I expect to put in PV soon (barring HOA shenanigans) and I will setup my home to consume close to 100% of my generation. Isolating my generation from the grid connection is not required for now, but it is not a big competitive barrier utilities can rely on.
would love to see all the details on how you plan to setup your home for close to 100% of generation. Unless you have gas heating, from what I am seeing, unless you put in stuff way way more than needed, meaning, the winter solar stinks, I just do not see how it is possible, again, unless you have gas heating.

would love to see all the details on how you plan to setup your home for close to 100% of generation. Unless you have gas heating, from what I am seeing, unless you put in stuff way way more than needed, meaning, the winter solar stinks, I just do not see how it is possible, again, unless you have gas heating.
I don't mean I will be functionally off-grid, I mean that I will trivialize net metering.

I have three (relatively) large energy sinks that are amenable to time shifting:
  1. Domestic Hot Water
  2. Home Cooling and Heating
  3. EV charging
It is not magic (or even difficult) to buy a large enough hot water tank for time shifting. EV time-shifted charging is a YMMV, trivial for us since we are a retired couple with two EVs. Time shifting home conditioning requires a decent home envelope and is aided by heat pumps. My plans are also facilitated by living in a sunny climate.

You can rightly point out that a huge mass of homes do not have my advantages. My point is that utilities do not enjoy a high barrier to these advantages going forward: EVs are coming, big water tanks are largely accessible, and improved building codes are just a signature away, expected due to climate change. Way before people move en-masse to local home storage, they will find that improved bldg envelope is the cost effective way to deal with utility cost increases.

Last edited:
I don't mean I will be functionally off-grid, I mean that I will trivialize net metering.

I have three (relatively) large energy sinks that are amenable to time shifting:
  1. Domestic Hot Water
  2. Home Cooling and Heating
  3. EV charging
It is not magic (or even difficult) to buy a large enough hot water tank for time shifting. EV time-shifted charging is a YMMV, trivial for us since we are a retired couple with two EVs. Time shifting home conditioning requires a decent home envelope and is aided by heat pumps. My plans are also facilitated by living in a sunny climate.

You can rightly point out that a huge mass of homes do not have my advantages. My point is that utilities do not enjoy a high barrier to these advantages going forward: EVs are coming, big water tanks are largely accessible, and improved building codes are just a signature away, expected due to climate change.
@SageBrush
in case you are unaware

Reactions: SmartElectric

Sol-Ark makes a DC hybrid inverter that has a "meter zero" mode as per:

• Meter Zero Mode - Zero your electric bill without adding an additional smart meter

ie. It will measure home usage (CT on the main feed to house) and cap the energy fed to the breaker panel(s) such that none of it feeds the grid.

And one of it's modes :
Smart Load Mode - Use a programmable output for high-power off grid loads
This means it sends excess solar to a dump load (hot water pre-heating tank, water pump, pool heater) or the connected 48V battery system.

In this way, you are grid connected, but not exporting.

A pre-heat tank allows the user to get the maximum energy savings from the heat recovery system.

In my house, we use a heat recovery system for the drain water as well, which pre-heats the water for the main water heater, highly recommended @ $500.

The goals were outlined by the California Solar and Storage Association (CALSSA), which is pitting itself against the state’s three investor-owned utilities over what it said is the future of California’s rooftop solar market. CALSSA said the “battle” will take place at the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) in a regulatory decision later this year that will “make or break California’s continued leadership” in consumer solar at homes, apartments, schools, and farms. Proposals for changes to the state’s net energy metering (NEM) program were submitted to regulators on March 15.

Reactions: ohmman

Adding solar and storage to every home in Puerto Rico, plus solar on commercial sites, could provide 75% of the territory’s electricity by 2035. And the cost of doing so could be lower than a base case that simply projects today’s grid and generation mix ahead to 2035, said a report from nonprofit groups Cambio and IEEFA (Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis). Rooftop solar on houses could reach 2.7 GW, paired with 2.5 GW of storage, with a comparable amount of solar on commercial sites. “Minimal upgrades” to the distribution system would be required, the report said.

This highlights the fundamental problem for utilities. They are about to end up with a lot of stranded assets (just like fossil fuel companies). Their grid and fossil generators are going to have much less value. They are fighting to avoid becoming much smaller or irrelevant. That is the market signal. No regulation can fix their predicament and make them more profitable. They are toast.

“A lot of water gets evaporated just because we don’t put a lid on it,” McKuin said. “By covering canals with solar panels, we could save up to 63 billion gallons of water annually. It’s a lot of water. That’s roughly the amount of water needed to irrigate 50,000 acres of farmland, or to meet the residential needs of 2 million people.”

The paper didn’t calculate the amount of energy that all these floating panels would provide, but McKuin has done some back-of-the-envelope math of her own. “This isn’t information that’s in the paper, but I estimate that it would provide 13 gigawatts of power,” she said. For context, California regulators are pushing to install 20 gigawatts of additional renewable capacity across the state by 2030.

Reactions: SmartElectric

“A lot of water gets evaporated just because we don’t put a lid on it,” McKuin said. “By covering canals with solar panels, we could save up to 63 billion gallons of water annually. It’s a lot of water. That’s roughly the amount of water needed to irrigate 50,000 acres of farmland, or to meet the residential needs of 2 million people.”

The paper didn’t calculate the amount of energy that all these floating panels would provide, but McKuin has done some back-of-the-envelope math of her own. “This isn’t information that’s in the paper, but I estimate that it would provide 13 gigawatts of power,” she said. For context, California regulators are pushing to install 20 gigawatts of additional renewable capacity across the state by 2030.
In Spring of 2015, this paper was published that suggested something similar. I looked it up once when we were driving north on I-5 past Harris Ranch. It occurred to me that there was a lot of evaporation, and I wondered if anyone had quantified it. Turns out, they had.