Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar PV News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decision on solar metering rules: Utilities vs. rooftop solar customers

It pits competing visions for California’s energy future: continued dependence on a centralized grid operated by large investor-owned utilities like Pacific Gas & Electric against accelerated investment in networks of locally distributed electricity generation and storage on millions of rooftops and garages.

Big, investor-owned utilities have much at stake, starting with the receipt of billions in new proposed monthly fees, exceeding $100 per solar customer. Distributed electricity generation and storage threaten the big utilities’ business model: although they earn returns when investing ratepayer dollars in their own grid infrastructure, they earn nothing from ratepayers’ own investments in solar and batteries.

Don’t expect putting transmission lines underground to provide immediate relief from wildfires and smoke-poisoned air, though: at its recent rate, PG&E will complete the endeavor in about 143 years. In contrast, a strategy focused on growing distributed energy generation and storage could dramatically improve local communities’ resilience despite a faltering grid, while saving every California ratepayer $295 annually – as much as $120 billion over 30 years. We have reached a crossroads for California’s energy future. Punitive fees and net metering backsliding undermine the very solar investments that made California a global leader in clean energy access. Fighting climate change requires all of us to make a difference – not merely those who can afford it.

Yeah your DER argument is basically all I could think of to leave as a public comment on the CPUC rulemaking portal on NEM 3.0.

The new NEM 3.0 proposal would severely harm private DER investment. Two CPUC appointees, Darcie L. Houck and Genevieve Shiroma, are strong DER proponents. I want to hear how they think this new NEM 3.0 will actually help their DER policies... which both involve investment coming from the private sector to accomplish the state-wide goal.

Yeah your DER argument is basically all I could think of to leave as a public comment on the CPUC rulemaking portal on NEM 3.0.

The new NEM 3.0 proposal would severely harm private DER investment. Two CPUC appointees, Darcie L. Houck and Genevieve Shiroma, are strong DER proponents. I want to hear how they think this new NEM 3.0 will actually help their DER policies... which both involve investment coming from the private sector to accomplish the state-wide goal.
I think DER is the way to go but the utilities want to centralize and control everything to maintain their profits.
The core problem with electricity rates is that they bundle energy cost and distribution cost together. It would be much better to unbundle these so that all (not just solar) accounts have a distribution charge and then pay a separate charge for energy.

Reactions: CSFTN
I think DER is the way to go but the utilities want to centralize and control everything to maintain their profits.
The core problem with electricity rates is that they bundle energy cost and distribution cost together. It would be much better to unbundle these so that all (not just solar) accounts have a distribution charge and then pay a separate charge for energy.

I hope you left a public comment for NEM 3 :)

Y

Yes I did!

Nice, I'm looking forward to seeing both of our comments get ignored :p

I also wrote my local assembly member in a last-ditch attempt to get any traction. Bauer Kahan voted against AB-1139, but I don't think she has any influence here with CPUC matters.

Also, writing the CPUC directly or the California Office of Planning and Research (they're the ones who set the clean energy goals and try to get to net zero targets) do nothing. They never respond.

Nice, I'm looking forward to seeing both of our comments get ignored :p

I also wrote my local assembly member in a last-ditch attempt to get any traction. Bauer Kahan voted against AB-1139, but I don't think she has any influence here with CPUC matters.

Also, writing the CPUC directly or the California Office of Planning and Research (they're the ones who set the clean energy goals and try to get to net zero targets) do nothing. They never respond.
Unfortunately, our government is entirely driven by donations to politicians and not by citizen input. Business buys the politicians it need to get favorable results.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Unfortunately, our government is entirely driven by donations to politicians and not by citizen input. Business buys the politicians it need to get favorable results.

What frustrates me about your statement (which I know it to be true, but still annoying to read) is that...

Over 600 businesses and organizations representing 68,000 solar jobs submitted data to the CPUC urging them to have NEM 3.0 continue to encourage residential solar installs. Instead of immediately implementing the joint IOU proposal and kneecapping the future of residential solar in California. These are billion dollar companies like Sunpower, Enphase, Sunrun, LG, etc (but not Tesla, because Tesla relies on tweets).

The stupid part is these billion dollar companies don't really sell much B2G (edit, I meant B2G... government), so they don't have a dirty way to funnel money into the business interests owned by California politicians. The businesses that get what they want from the politicians are the ones that can put the sweet government money to work in a way that profits those politicians through their subordinated interests.

Last edited:
Reactions: abasile and mspohr

I agree, but I'll guess that the utilities and the PUC are not inclined for two reasons:

• The utilities do not want the transparency of just how expensive they are.
  • The PUC does want a policy that increases the monthly bill for poor(er) customers

while Solar PV this is not Tesla, but Enphase, which has _finally_ released the IQ8 microinverters, which can island and balance demand and available power to the point of the (scalable) array
I suspect it can be coupled with most batteries but do not know.

Looks nice but can't find out much information beyond pretty pictures.
My SMA Sunny Boy inverter is able to provide up to 2000W off grid when the sun is shining. Its had this capability for at least 5 years.

Reactions: abasile
I agree, but I'll guess that the utilities and the PUC are not inclined for two reasons:

• The utilities do not want the transparency of just how expensive they are.
  • The PUC does want a policy that increases the monthly bill for poor(er) customers
The most important factor to the utilities is that they don't get to sell overpriced energy. Home generation cuts into their profits.
RE: Poor People:
Poor people won't be able to install solar (or coummunity solar) to take advantage of cheap solar energy with these new rules.
They should unbundle distrubution cost from energy cost. That's the fair way to spread the cost. Poor people would probably have about the same or lower cost.

Last edited:
If find it strange that the CPUC is mandating an additional 11GW of solar but then says we are taking away incentives and charging you more if you have solar.

They know they will get that number in new home installations (which by law have to have solar now). And if NEM 3.0 goes through as it is currently, the utilities will get $$$ from those installations in terms of monthly connectivity fees.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr