Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof, big price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have not been successful in contacting my previous or my “newly issued” advisor. My intention was to tell them that I am not cancelling our contract and I expect them to honor the originally, valid one. Just now I got an email that said if I don’t sign the new contract in the next 48 hours they consider that my intention to cancel. WTF is that.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
So I have not been successful in contacting my previous or my “newly issued” advisor. My intention was to tell them that I am not cancelling our contract and I expect them to honor the originally, valid one. Just now I got an email that said if I don’t sign the new contract in the next 48 hours they consider that my intention to cancel. WTF is that.
Let them know that contracts don't work that way :) And file complaints with
1. State Attorney General
2. State Contractor License Board
3. BBB
4. FTC

And send them a message that you have done so.

Reactions: KJD and FlatSix911
Update: CA Contractor State License Board got back to me, saying they have notified Tesla and asked for them to resolve the matter with me within 7 days.
Since there were some comments about looking up past complaints about Tesla. There are multiple entities here.
"Tesla Inc." Lic #949283
"Tesla Energy" Lic#888104.

My CA CSLB complaint was filed against "Tesla Inc." Lic #949283.

I thought I screwed up filing against the wrong entity. But looking at my contract closely, the "Solar Purchase Disclosure" page indicates this information with both entities listed:
Provider: Tesla Inc (Lic #949283)
Installer: Tesla Energy Operations, Inc. (Lic#888104)

I hope it doesn't make too much of a difference in terms of the complaint and any subsequent investigation.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Since there were some comments about looking up past complaints about Tesla. There are multiple entities here.
"Tesla Inc." Lic #949283 "Tesla Energy" Lic#888104.
I thought I screwed up filing against the wrong entity.
But looking at my contract closely, the "Solar Purchase Disclosure" page indicates this information with both entities listed:

I hope it doesn't make too much of a difference in terms of the complaint and any subsequent investigation.
Great information... thanks for sharing.

"Tesla Inc." Lic #949283
"Tesla Energy" Lic#888104.

I thought I screwed up filing against the wrong entity. But looking at my contract closely, the "Solar Purchase Disclosure" page indicates this information with both entities listed:

Just thinking, since Tesla Energy Operations, Inc. is essentially the old Solar City one could also file a complaint in Nevada:

6611 Las Vegas Blvd South, Suite 200, Las Vegas NV 89119
T. 702.680.6620

Anyone know how to join the class action lawsuits popping up?

Seems there's a new one in California: https://www-businessinsider-com.cdn...-cost-lawsuit-second-suit-class-action-2021-5

Plaintiffs need a court to certify the class/mass action before the law firm that represents the plaintiffs will attempt to reach out to affected parties. The news you found simply points out that one party believes they have a case and they are filing to have their claim elevated to a larger level.

This could take months/years. Plus even it it were certified, every single homeowner's situation is different. So for every claim, each plaintiff will likely need to submit documentation and sign years worth of paperwork to even sniff a penny. This is why PG&E has still not paid out damages to fire victims. They're all still submitting paperwork, navigating trusts, and dealing with lawyer-stuff.

So far, the "fire victims trust" has paid $7mm while incurring $51mm of operating costs. Even if there are damages in this solar roof issue, one should expect that the only people that will collect $ are the lawyers.

Last edited:
Plaintiffs need a court to certify the class/mass action before the law firm that represents the plaintiffs will attempt to reach out to affected parties. The news you found simply points out that one party believes they have a case and they are filing to have their claim elevated to a larger level.

This could take months/years. Plus even it it were certified, every single homeowner's situation is different. So for every claim, each plaintiff will likely need to submit documentation and sign years worth of paperwork to even sniff a penny. This is why PG&E has still not paid out damages to fire victims. They're all still submitting paperwork, navigating trusts, and dealing with lawyer-stuff. The lawyers are making millions though.
And who are the only folks who make money with these cases? :)

Reactions: jboy210
And who are the only folks who make money with these cases? :)

Lol I edited my post since I figure someone reading this thread thinks they'll actually get meaningful money out of all this hah.

I just hope the plaintiff driving the initial class/mass claim isn't paying out of pocket. They'll be spending real, good money to try and stick it to Tesla in a way that will only benefit lawyers. Sad.

Lol I edited my post since I figure someone reading this thread thinks they'll actually get meaningful money out of all this hah.

I just hope the plaintiff driving the initial class/mass claim isn't paying out of pocket. They'll be spending real, good money to try and stick it to Tesla in a way that will only benefit lawyers. Sad.
And as I have experienced hiring a lawyer, it is not just the money. It is the stress and time involved. Folks sure got tired of hearing me talk about my case. And if I were in the position to need a roof, wow, stress on overload. My Dad is involved in a case, and it has been active for over 20 years now, and still not settled. And who is making money? :)

Reactions: jboy210

Agreed. The class-action isn't a slam dunk. Tesla, I think would actually prefer dragging this out with a class-action claims. Meanwhile, their strategy will be to buy time and water down the number of folks affected. In my mind, there are four buckets of customers here to deal with for Tesla:
1. Put $100 down and got a design estimate
2. Put $100 down, got an approved design and signed a contract. But the customer has spent no more investment in preparation.
3. Put $100 down, got an approved design and signed a contract. The customer has spent significant time/money in preparation.
4. Put $100 down, got an approved design and signed a contract. The customer is mid renovation/new build etc. waiting without a roof.

Most likely, the majority of folks are in (1) and (2), and will just walk away saying a big NOPE! ---> that's a big win for Tesla
Folks in (3) and (4) based on their individual circumstances might choose to bite and get it over with rationalizing they are at least getting a power wall etc. ---> Another big win for Tesla

The only remaining folks who are holding without signing a contract in buckets (3) and (4) will be the squeaky wheels. By the time, the class-action drags on, some of those folks might drop off as well. Tesla would tell the court they can easily satisfy each of those customers through regular arbitration, and they don't deem it class-action worthy. The court might actually agree with that assessment.

*DISCLAIMER: I'm not a lawyer, but this is what I'm getting from discussions with my attorney friends.

Just had a conversation with a Tesla rep who called me. They stated in very clear terms that the "agreement" which was signed was not a contract and it would not be honored.
That would be something nice to have in writing. While there is a real debate as to whether Tesla is violating these agreements by demanding more money, and what, if any, the damages are if Tesla is in violation, these agreements are clearly legal contracts in every sense (and they even use the word "contract" and "contract price" within the "agreement.")

Reactions: rspray2000 and SMFS