Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof, big price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The free Powerwall incentive just appeared in our order page. It shows as a Powerwall $6500 price reduction. Because of how it's structured, this should not trigger a 1099-MISC for a free gifted Powerwall.

This is an approximate $6000 out of pocket price increase from the original agreement, and a suggested $1000 price increase after credits and eventual incentives. Not happy with what transpired but this is in the realm of something I can accept.

View attachment 657509
Have they said when they could install? (I'm in MA) I didn't originally have a PW in my plan, and did get the offer last Friday, but it hasn't shown up in my account yet. They would have to re-do my permitting as well, so another strike against that option. Only reason I'm considering is the ConnectedSolutions program, as I don't really want to buy 2 (or more) to act as a full back-up, but I have a portable generate to my panel for that anyway.

The free Powerwall incentive just appeared in our order page. It shows as a Powerwall $6500 price reduction. Because of how it's structured, this should not trigger a 1099-MISC for a free gifted Powerwall.

This is an approximate $6000 out of pocket price increase from the original agreement, and a suggested $1000 price increase after credits and eventual incentives. Not happy with what transpired but this is in the realm of something I can accept.

View attachment 657509
Interesting... are your gutters included? I've seen it both ways, but mine they told me to get an external quote...

I had already had a June 21st (2021) install date scheduled before this whole mess. I was told I needed to re-commit by this Friday to keep that date. The revised agreement with the $6500 Powerwall credit showed up in my account after lunch today - it was not there first thing this morning. I've now accepted the agreement. My permits were pulled over a year ago (I checked with our town two weeks ago). Since the design is unchanged, I'm hoping the permits are good as-is even with the revised cost.

Reactions: rspray2000

View attachment 657509
Are you willing to accept that the new agreement allows them to change the price for any reason? I couldn't swallow that even if I could accept the new price. Your current contract doesn't allow that.

Serious question. Even if Tesla backed down. Why would you even want to do business with a company that tries this.

My installation was completed last week by another company. During the process they blew up my main panel and one the panels cracked. It took one minute to resolve both issues with a phone call. I can't imagine what would happen with Tesla.

Both issues were pretty random occurrences. My main panel was in terrible shape beforehand so it wasn't their fault really. But still things happen in construction and its important to trust the company you hire.

The story here about the $7500 quote for a roof deck is very disturbing on another level. I already passed on Tesla. Glad I did.
I'm a Model X owner and I have been very happy with the car and my interactions with service personnel. They seem to want to take the extra step and make things right for the customer. So, this experience with Solar has been an eye-opener for sure.

Reactions: VaNick
I have been going back and forth with them. They are maintaining their responses along the lines of "Your project was re-evaluated and priced accordingly. There is no further path for escalation".

What a load of BS!
Update: The rep calls me today and asks if I had any more questions about the new offer (17k increase, 1 power wall free). He tells me "there is no path for further escalation, and his manager "moved" to another department. The manager's replacement is "out sick" until a TBD date." My god, the capacity to keep BS'ing has no end!

I asked him to respond to me in email stating they are unable to honor the original contract anymore. He also advised me in email to file a legal complaint if I believe Tesla has breached the contract. Wow, simply wow!

So. Be. It.

I'll be following these steps from:

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Update: The rep calls me today and asks if I had any more questions about the new offer (17k increase, 1 power wall free). He tells me "there is no path for further escalation, and his manager "moved" to another department. The manager's replacement is "out sick" until a TBD date." My god, the capacity to keep BS'ing has no end!

I asked him to respond to me in email stating they are unable to honor the original contract anymore. He also advised me in email to file a legal complaint if I believe Tesla has breached the contract. Wow, simply wow!

So. Be. It.

I'll be following these steps from:
Another step to follow for folks in CA is to complain with the CONTRACTORS STATE LICENSE BOARD.

I've been trying, espeically for the Tesla Fans. But I even got a few Tesla Fans on Twitter tell me "I don't believe you". Super insane...
I had already had a June 21st (2021) install date scheduled before this whole mess. I was told I needed to re-commit by this Friday to keep that date. The revised agreement with the $6500 Powerwall credit showed up in my account after lunch today - it was not there first thing this morning. I've now accepted the agreement. My permits were pulled over a year ago (I checked with our town two weeks ago). Since the design is unchanged, I'm hoping the permits are good as-is even with the revised cost.
I would have done same thing if price increase is moderate. For me, it is still $41k increase after powerwall discount so I cannot accept it :(.

Another step to follow for folks in CA is to complain with the CONTRACTORS STATE LICENSE BOARD.

Since you are motivated; when you file a complaint with the FTC, please also point out to them that Tesla's pricing practice had proximate cause to the demise of some of Tesla's competitors for solar shingles.

When Tesla teased such a low, attractive rate to you for your initial contract... you waited and waited for Tesla's product to eventually become available at the price you thought you would pay. This "lock up" of possible clientele had a downstream effect of removing buyers like yourself from seeking out competitor products in the emerging field of solar shingle roofs.

So while Tesla's pricing practice ultimately harmed you by wasting your time; it had a much more serious harm against other American's jobs. Tesla's practice prevented a fair business competition. Possibly, Tesla will be investigated to learn if their low pricing (which they now admit was wrong) actually had a negative motive to prevent RGS and Luma from a fair fight.

And now that Tesla has admitted their pricing was flawed, the one company that was positioned to be the primary competitor for solar shingles is out of business and Tesla is the only option. Luma had to shift priorities to pursue ultra-high-end-clientele for new home construction in order to remain viable. Luma is basically out of the space for roof replacement solar shingles. What Tesla did around what I believe is deceptive pricing sounds sus to me...

Last edited:
Anyone else receive this form after cancelling their order?

71BF9240-6740-4728-AA06-5B2D7FF07CB3.jpeg

Once a company screws you the first time, it tends not to be the last.
Yup.

Welp, with the new cost, ("free poerwall") the cost overall went up to 10k extra that what I had originally got. Its doable and i accepted the new design. Just got a call today and a tesla roof inspector will be heading out next week to reevaluate my roof, she stated the inspection would take 1 to 2 hours.

Guessing they are doing a more through out inspection to make sure there are not hidden or unforeseen surprises once they beigin the install.

Welp, with the new cost, ("free poerwall") the cost overall went up to 10k extra that what I had originally got. Its doable and i accepted the new design. Just got a call today and a tesla roof inspector will be heading out next week to reevaluate my roof, she stated the inspection would take 1 to 2 hours.

Guessing they are doing a more through out inspection to make sure there are not hidden or unforeseen surprises once they beigin the install.
This more detailed inspection (my second) happened last week to me. That’s when they added the $7200 roof deck. Good luck

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
Although I think a solar roof could never make any sense to be on my roof, I like the thread to keep up on how things are going in that kind of product. Lots of people seem to be going this route and terrible you all aren't having better luck with this. I sure hope this gets resolved to folks satisfaction The publicity is not good.

Reactions: willow_hiller
So after letting my rep have it this week the installer came out to do a site survey for materials/dumpster. He was super apologetic, and said he had nothing to do with the increase. But will be moving forward with my install date in 2 weeks. Not sure what if anything that means, But I'm optimistic!

To be frank, I think this story has gone just about as far as it can. The media cycle moves quickly, and outside of readership of relatively niche publications like the ones you cited above, most people could care less. It's going to be hard to garner sympathy from a wider audience when they see those effected as wealthy elites complaining that their expensive tech toys got a little more expensive.

So after letting my rep have it this week the installer came out to do a site survey for materials/dumpster. He was super apologetic, and said he had nothing to do with the increase. But will be moving forward with my install date in 2 weeks. Not sure what if anything that means, But I'm optimistic!
That does sound optimistic. Did the installer just show up out of the blue or did they let you know in advance that they were coming? Just curious because I'm scheduled for May 17th install, but I think that's contingent on me signing their new agreement. Wondering if I should keep an eye out for the Tesla installer. But sounds like talking to the rep helped.