Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof Option

Would you select a solar roof if it were an option?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again..anyone with a solar roof is going to get a return on investment in ....lets say.....35 years. You just can't get enough solar cells on the roof of a car to make the investment worth it.

1) The savings are negligible, maybe 5 cents per day, on an ideal day.

It's almost as if you people aren't reading the words I'm writing. I'll say it again, it has nothing to do with financial return or gain. Nothing, zip, zilch, nada!

2) You're probably putting the car through more strain than normal and so you're decreasing the life of the electronics and battery. Solar power isn't as stable as the power from a proper charging outlet and so this isn't good for lithium ion batteries nor the electronics that get the power "ready" for going into the battery.

Simply, no.

They know that the potential advantages are minor in comparison to the high cost and that only a small fraction of buyers would select such an option.

In our little pole here there is almost a 30% take rate. I bet the general public would have a higher rate, since many of us have experienced people asking us about solar panels on the vehicle. Even if it makes no sense at all it's something the general public seems to want. I say give it to them, since, unlike almost any other option offered, it does provide a potential benefit.

It's almost as if you people aren't reading the words I'm writing. I'll say it again, it has nothing to do with financial return or gain. Nothing, zip, zilch, nada!

Simply, no.

In our little pole here there is almost a 30% take rate. I bet the general public would have a higher rate, since many of us have experienced people asking us about solar panels on the vehicle. Even if it makes no sense at all it's something the general public seems to want. I say give it to them, since, unlike almost any other option offered, it does provide a potential benefit.
1) Combating drain while not in use is really not an issue. As EV's become more adopted, you'll see more charging solutions at those places (airports, etc.) where you might be away long enough for it to even be a potential issue. Honestly, a lot of people who are gone long enough for this to be an issue and own a Tesla might just take an Uber or taxi to the airport. Here's an example of charging in long term parking availability: Plug-in Electric Car Parking | http://www.flysfo.com/

2) "Simply, no." - Please, expand on why using solar charging won't creating additional wear and tear on the electronics and batteries. You're providing a less than optimal electricity source that can vary throughout the day based on sunlight, cloud cover, etc., and so the voltage coming out isn't stable or in the right form. It's pretty pathetic to charge a Tesla on a 110V outlet and this would be even weaker. It would take a full day to do what a 110V outlet can do in 20-30 minutes. You're making all the components work much harder to get this tiny bit of charging.

3) Sure, your poll got some responses, but how many people would do it if they knew that a solar panel provides 1.4 miles of charge per day on average, and less in winter conditions, and ends up costing $4,000? You've got a huge thread on this website dedicated to whether people will pay $500 or $2,000 for supercharging, and whether it should be pay as you go or a one-time fee upfront, and you think people will pay thousands for a solar panel on the roof?

Some of these things are great ideas, really - they are. In implementation though, there are other things that should be prioritized.

The poll associated with this thread has absolutely no validity, just like every other poll on TMC, because it is not a random sample.

Right, most people here have a better understanding of the potential power delivered, which is why this poll likely under represents actual demand from the general public, which was my point.

2) "Simply, no." - Please, expand on why using solar charging won't creating additional wear and tear on the electronics and batteries. You're providing a less than optimal electricity source that can vary throughout the day based on sunlight, cloud cover, etc., and so the voltage coming out isn't stable or in the right form.

It's called a solar charge controller, they are used in every solar panel installation, to regulate power. The batteries would see no "wear and tear".

3) Sure, your poll got some responses, but how many people would do it if they knew that a solar panel provides 1.4 miles of charge per day on average, and less in winter conditions, and ends up costing $4,000?

It shouldn't cost anywhere near that. Just because Fisker over charged for their solar roof doesn't mean Tesla would do the same. Tesla knows where to get inexpensive panels, you may have heard of SolarCity, and they know how to build the electronics in house.

Clear glass Solar Panels are now a big R&D effort in the industry. Especially in terms of adapting them for use with Cell Phones.

Once you can use the glass in your car (and there is a lot of it in Model 3) as a solar collector, you can use a much larger surface area of a vehicle to generate useful power.

Even if it's just enough to run a fan to mitigate cabin heat (which kills your batteries), I'm all for adding Solar.

If it negates vampire drain. Awesome. Gimme.

If it's enough to slowly charge my car out in the wilderness-- that's icing on the cake.

So, while it's barely useful to add tiny PV or Monocrystaline Solar Panels to a car now, in the near future, where to put it and how to implement it, won't be the limiting factor. Cost will likely be, for some time to come.

Attachments

• ToyotaSolar.png
    ToyotaSolar.png
    576.1 KB · Views: 49
Yeah - 22 miles of range after 10 days of ideal conditions? So 25 cents of power after 10 days? There's no way it's worth it.

2.5 cents per day times 365 days per year, or $9.13/year of power with 100% perfect sunny conditions and your nice car parked in direct sunlight... No winter, cloudy days, etc.

Over 20 years, that's under $200 of power for a cost of $2,000. Is the enjoyment and excitement worth $1,800? If so, maybe it's worthwhile, but not for someone like me.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
I think the fact that such an option would never pay for itself with today's solar tech has been established.

It's got appeal as a green cred thing I assume. People may like the look and the message it sends. Why do people (myself included) buy appearance package upgrades on their cars?

Reactions: JRP3
With the large glass roof, would you opt for a solar panel (like the Prius prime) instead of the glass roof? It would only add a few miles of range per day, but would negate vampire drain.

Had it and loved it on the Prius. What it did was ventilate the car on hot days keeping the car at ambient temperature as long as it was over 68 deg. It sounded odd at first but it was really very practical.

Didn't Elon and/or JB say during that last stockholder's meeting that they don't really like the idea of putting solar panels on a car. Something along the lines "stationary installations make much more sense" or so.

Edit: To be honest, didn't bother reading all 8 pages so it might be that this is already said.

Didn't Elon and/or JB say during that last stockholder's meeting that they don't really like the idea of putting solar panels on a car. Something along the lines "stationary installations make much more sense" or so.

Edit: To be honest, didn't bother reading all 8 pages so it might be that this is already said.
Exactly. So. Outside of "fun"... why does this thread exist?

This couple seems to think solar panels on their trailer will add range to their Model X. The article says "...800 watts of solar..." can someone mathy figure out how much range will that add to their MX?

Canadian couple to drive across Canada in a Tesla Model X with solar trailer
There are just too many factors involved to calculate this. They can indeed make it to their final destination, however if they fully depend on 800 watts of solar panels it might take them 10 years.

You have to factor in intangibles such as clouds/rain.
You have to factor in the fact that the panels won't be at the optimal angle 90% of the time.
You have to figure in elevation changes.
You have to figure in the wind.

800 watts of electricity isn't enough electricity to compensate for pulling the trailer ....let alone the MX.
It takes my MS 30KWH+ per day to charge at 100 miles. There is no way in the world to produce 30Kwh in a day using 800 watts of solar cells. There aint enough hours in the day .... let alone hours with the sun shining.
That's just ludicrous. ( I love using that word. ...I can't wait).

Good luck to them.

Last edited:
This couple seems to think solar panels on their trailer will add range to their Model X. The article says "...800 watts of solar..." can someone mathy figure out how much range will that add to their MX?

Canadian couple to drive across Canada in a Tesla Model X with solar trailer
Even more hilarious....below is a 1500W super efficient Honda solar car and it can only travel 350 miles per day on a perfectly cloudless day.
They are going to try and power a MX pulling a trailer with 800W. They may get 200 feet per day...lol I'm kidding, but it's funny.

honda_solar.jpg