Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof update of sorts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...all the homes need to be beige and look the same!

I take a random look at Irvine, CA on satellite view from google maps and they seem to look pretty much like any other conventional roof too me.

L0paPjY.jpg

Some with clay color, others grey. Nothing that Tesla Solar Roof cannot match:

Tuscan Glass Tile:
styles-terra_cotta.jpg

Slate Glass Tile:
styles-slate.jpg

Textured Glass Tile:
styles-textured_glass.jpg

Smooth Glass Tile:
styles-smooth_glass.jpg

Once Irvine sees them Tesla Solar Roofs, it will love them!

I take a random look at Irvine, CA on satellite view from google maps and they seem to look pretty much like any other conventional roof too me.

L0paPjY.jpg

Some with clay color, others grey. Nothing that Tesla Solar Roof cannot match:

Tuscan Glass Tile:
styles-terra_cotta.jpg

Slate Glass Tile:
styles-slate.jpg

Textured Glass Tile:
styles-textured_glass.jpg

Smooth Glass Tile:
styles-smooth_glass.jpg

Once Irvine sees them Tesla Solar Roofs, it will love them!

But I am curious if people will be shelling out $100k for a new roof on their relatively new house. Mine is 6 years old and it's considered to be one of the old ones

But I am curious if people will be shelling out $100k for a new roof on their relatively new house. Mine is 6 years old and it's considered to be one of the old ones
Of course they won't. If those 5-year old roofs are clay or concrete tiles, they have a putative 50-year service life. Only those deeply dedicated to solar power and very well off would replace those roofs.

Of course, if you have a south- or west-facing section of roof and the "ugly factor" of conventional panels is preventing going solar, you could replace only that part of the roof with solar roof. Much cheaper than a total re-roof and esthetically fine if two roof surfaces are not visible from any vantage point or if existing materials are terra cotta or black concrete tiles.

The target market for Tesla Energy is upscale new construction and the 5% of roofs needing replacement, some of which will be on expensive houses that can support the cost of tiles. I live in a neighborhood of slightly above average houses (Huntington Beach, CA), many of which are ready for their shake roofs to be replaced. Comp shingles would reduce curb appeal, while Solar Roof tiles would enhance value both esthetically and by virtue of energy savings.

I wonder what percent of re-roofing projects would be in the upper 40% of market value?

Reactions: Falkirk
A recent Tech Insider article says that Tesla Solar Roof is still expected to begin selling this year. I hope so, since we will be buying a new house to start construction in August of this year with completion planned by February.

Tesla will begin selling its solar roof this year — here's everything you need to know

In looking at the pictures of Elon holding the various panels, one may deduce from comparison to his hand that:

slate tiles will be about 7 1/2" wide x 15" long with one 6" x 6" cell and a reveal of at least 7".

textured flat tiles will be about 12" wide x 8" long with perhaps one 6" x 6" cell and maybe 6" reveal; so only 2" overlap.

smooth tiles will be about 8" x 8" with probably one 6" x 6" cell and 6" reveal; so only 2" overlap.

Tuscan tiles will be about 14" wide x 15" long with probably one 5" x 5" or 6" x 6" cell and about 7.5" reveal.

I also noticed the transparency of these things, as one can see Elon's hand behind the Tuscan tile held vertically.

There appear to be no lugs on the undersides, just two nail holes, so they will not likely be installed on battens. That leaves very little space for wires and connections. It would also imply at least two roof penetrations in each course of active tiles, which would require there to be some sort of flashing against water intrusion and would limit active tiles to areas above an attic or accessible soffet, not open eaves. Installation labor will be much higher than for normal tiles.

Solar panels get a face-lift with custom designs

Panels match existing roof, re-roofing not required.

Sistine’s novel technology, SolarSkin, is a layer that can be imprinted with any image and embedded into a solar panel without interfering with the panel’s efficacy. Homeowners can match their rooftop or a grassy lawn. Panels can also be fitted with business logos, advertisements, or even a country’s flag. SolarSkin systems cost about 10 percent more than traditional panel installations. But over the life of the system, a homeowner can still expect to save more than $30,000, according to the startup.

MIT-Sistine-Solar_0.jpg

Sistine’s novel technology, SolarSkin, is a layer that can be imprinted with any image and embedded into a solar panel without interfering with the panel’s efficacy. Homeowners can match their rooftop or a grassy lawn. Panels can also be fitted with business logos, advertisements, or even a country’s flag. SolarSkin systems cost about 10 percent more than traditional panel installations. But over the life of the system, a homeowner can still expect to save more than $30,000, according to the startup.

View attachment 217235
Thanks for posting. In photographs at least, that looks surprisingly good on those Spanish tile roofs

View attachment 217235

They remind me of a roadside billboard. Sell ads on the house :)

Anyone have any idea if there are any specs available on these tiles or who I can contact at Tesla or Solarcity? We are building a new home starting in July and I need the specs for the plans. Might be unavailable if it's Tesla time but I'm certainly interested
Thanks

Anyone have any idea if there are any specs available on these tiles or who I can contact at Tesla or Solarcity? We are building a new home starting in July and I need the specs for the plans. Might be unavailable if it's Tesla time but I'm certainly interested
Thanks
I'm currently looking into it - will let you know what info I get.

THANK YOU!

I have tried calling Solar City but get only "we don't know, but you are on our list of people interested and we will contact you when we do" response. I have also tried, with no success, to find some contact information for Tesla Energy corporate offices. If you have some way to find out more, those of us with projects scheduled in the coming year would be most grateful.

Hi Bonnie,
I'm helping a friend of mine who lives in a beautiful historic building with a spa. The building is over 100 years old. I've attached a picture.
The roof has to be renewed and they would like to use the solar roof tiles. The installation would be at least 200kW and two or three Powerpacks would be needed.
I know there hasn't been a date for international installations but any information you get would be really great! The building is protected as a historic monument and it would be great marketing for Tesla ;)

Paul

Attachments

• 1200px-Wiesbaden_-_Kaiser-Friedrich-Therme.jpg
    1200px-Wiesbaden_-_Kaiser-Friedrich-Therme.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 77
I need information for construction drawings. I do have a Plan B (build the garage & an apartment first without solar tiles, then build the house when tile production will fit my construction schedule). I just received a reply back - either I'll have at least some of the information next week or be told when the information should be available. It was noted that they have a growing list of homebuilders with the same request for the minimal requirements I asked for - so they know it is needed.

Hard to sell tiles if you can't tell people what to plan for :). But since I'm committed to a solar roof on the house, I have my backup plan in place 'just in case'.