Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious about something. If the sentiment is about being pro-solar, is there a reason SCTY specifically is chosen over an ETF like TAN? Do participants here believe that it represents a better growth or value play relative to the other players in the PV business? I don't have enough information or research to know, but it's interesting to me.

If you were to buy an "internal combustion vehicle" ETF at the turn of the century, you wouldn't have made a lot of money. There were thousands of car companies in the US before the industry shook out and "the big [insert number]" took off as the top dogs.

My feeling is that folks who manufacture and install will have a tough time battling each other to the price floor while SCTY can remain at the top as the only major nationwide player offering a PPA, premium installs and other future "energy services". Essentially, they're the only one I see that's differentiated significantly enough to be the "Apple" of the marketplace.

If you have faith in the product this company is peddling, your concerns should pivot off of the survival of the solar industry as a whole. Is anyone really concerned about solar being somehow being mothballed or surpassed as an energy technology?

Very hypothetically speaking, if SolarCity were to die (or get hidden behind a private takeover), it's death will not be death of Solar by any means. It will only mean the failure of a particular business model and nothing else.

Solar and other renewables can very well survive in many other forms and business models.

It is incorrect to equate SCTY to be the one and only one way to achieve higher penetration of renewables in a global space.

SCTY merely represents one innovative business model, which is not yet proven if it will stand test of time (and all the craziness that shows up over time).

PS: In any case, I don't want to leave the wrong impression that I am predicting SolarCity's death. All I am saying is that the stock seems to be priced in such a way that the potential outcomes are polar opposites. I just don't know which way it will go when all is set and done. 2016 will be decisive I believe.

PS: In any case, I don't want to leave the wrong impression that I am predicting SolarCity's death. All I am saying is that the stock seems to be priced in such a way that the potential outcomes are polar opposites. I just don't know which way it will go when all is set and done. 2016 will be decisive I believe.
You've definitely nailed that. This $30 level post-ITC extension is laughable just considering the amount of retained value, therefore it's a death or rocketship-to-the-moon scenario. When the ITC was extended, I got a bit worried that the run-up to $50+ would scare off the shorts(and it did to a degree), but the feeling I'm getting now is that they must be flooding back in. Hopefully.

You see a company that cannot borrow another dime, I see a company whose goals will never have them in any position other than that. That might sound scary to some, but it's the Musk way. All in, every time.

Solar is so cheap that nothing can stop it, not Koch/Buffett/utility obstruction, not WWIII, not anything. I certainly never meant to imply that. SCTY is currently the only player I see that is differentiated enough to definitely be one of the big boys that makes it through. Picture their cost structure 3-5 years from now if they get another sweet deal on the next 10GW of domestic production. No one will be able to touch that.

In my mind it's clearly a make only with almost zero chance of a break. They're planning on cash flow positive by the end of the year so planning on cash burn at previous rates is not believing in management (which I know you feel has been deceptive at times).

While they may be "locked out" of traditional capital markets they have plenty of assets to back them so it doesn't really make sense to use the traditional markets either.

I'll be excited to see how their earnings call goes. What their sales costs are and what they guide for the year. They have been radio silent about the ITC extension and I'm curious if they are still planning on cash flow positive at the end of the year or if they are transitioning back into hyper growth. I have a feeling it will still shoot for cash flow positive so they can prepare for a capital raise to finance 5 gig factory ;).

I think we can all agree that if they were building a stock pile of cash investors would understand the business model a lot better

Missed your second post, valuation is definitely a tricky beast with scty !

i think we have to look at the forest instead of the trees on valuation. Solarcity is cutting costs on average 12%y/y right now, with projected costs within 12 month down to 2.30/watt... and this is before full production costs savings from the riverbend factory. This reflects scale and management effectiveness to improve company productivity. this is extremely valuable in a growth company whose primary evaluation as a stock on its ability to scale and improve productivity.

Now the next piece is an differentiating innovative product. Does Solarcity have this? They have innovated in every facet of its business from financing to marketing, and mounting hardware to solar panels... But most significantly, and what I harp on also every post, is they have brought a whole new dimension to solar+energy storage by developing and now implementing aggregation capabilities of all its distributed assets in a new wholesale market thst never existed before which instantly maximizes all "stacks" of values possible in distributed energy resources. As we have not yet seen this in practice, it is easy to not include these "stacks" in our assessment of Solarcity stock value potential. However, it is fundamental to investing in Solarcity because thst is exactly where it is heading and the whole point of being an investor in a growth technology/energy company.... Where is this company going and how big is the market is that?

Now, exact financial calculations are not really possible and I understand people get caught up on this and that's fine, But, to really invest in this company you have to be willing to connect the dots and make a few projections on your own. Give it a little time to work its way there, and then reap the rewards. If you are stuck on day to day movements, then you're right... Valuation is a mystery. You have better chances throwing dice against the wall, then predicting what numbers come up on the stock ticker with scty. But if you really believe Solarcity is inevitable, then a more forest from the trees approach really makes it clear this company is extremely undervalued and a massive buy at this point in its growth trajectory.

I think we also have a little more clarity on numbers as well: The ITC will run through 2022-2024(completion has to be complete within two years of commence work). So we know that will continue to help costs dropping, tax equity growing, and give stability over the next 6+ years.

We are now seeing that grandfathering is becoming codified within any net metering changes moving forward. The two most draconian actions on grandfathering were with Nv energy in Nevada and SRP in Arizona. Both have back down from not grandfathering and both have policies of extending it for 20 years. Now as thst has become stand and prescedent with regard to net metering customers, the market can find stability securitization and rates can continue to fall and offerings can continue to grow massively as a result. As well as Solarcity can sell more systems, all a reinforcing cycle that will reflect in stsble growth projects with respect to consumer confidence in return on investment.

secondly, California this week will decide on future net metering rates thst will last over the next 3-4 years, approximately 2020. California is the single most important market in the country for stable growth for Solarcity. If all goes well Thursday, we can expect multi year projections from Solarcity in the near future, maybe not at the q4 conferenc call, but within the year. Those growth projections will have a shocking effect on the stock, which you can't expect another downturn like we've experienced over the past year. You either have to be in at this time or accept a much higher entry point because it's not going back. New York is a massive market that will establish the value of solar by 2017, that should develop a benchmark for the transition to the next faze solar+storage aggregation. Just on California and New York alone Solarcity could sustain current growth the next 3-4 years between rates cases alone. Again, adds further stability for investor value projections.

lastly, California and New York are developing the solar+storage aggregation model at an accelerated rate right now. Solarcity is proving out the model this year, and I expect we'll start seeing demand response contracts with utiltiies starting sometime within 2017-2020 timeframe. We don't have numbers yet, but it's not a far stretch to see the massive massive value this will add to Solarcity and how massive the market will be as the price for solar+storage product drops within that same time frame. The Gigafactory will be ramping toward full production by 2020 and as new net metering discussions begin happening Solarcity will already be in full transition to include ancillary grid services model as it will provide greater returns to consumers then just net metering alone. At this point I also feel many more markets within many more states will open up and solarcity's addressable US market should fastly approach 90-100mln buildings/home rooftops(in addition to micro grid/utiltiy opportunities). As it stands right now, Solarcity has projected it will maintain a 40% growth rate, so just projecting to 2020, we can estimate installs at 1.75Gw(2017), 2.45gw(2018), 3.43gw(2019), 4.8(2020). So we can project based on these numbers that Solarcity may achieve 8x current installed capacity in just 4 years time... That'd absolutely mind boggling at current stock price.... Let's all remember this is a growth stock and scty is currently at $30 with this incredible future ahead of them.

just an add, we also can see that a 5 gigawatt expansion is a necessity by 2020. In fact we could deduce that they could start building it out Piece by piece starting in 2018 and ramp steady through 2020-2021. I can also see that they may move right to 10GW factory if the solar+storage prices drop as planned by 2020. Remember the Rive brothers both projected Solarcity will over solar+storage as standard package by 2020, so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't announce a tesla Gigafactory sized factory development scaled over a 5 year period of construction much like what is happening in Nevada right now. Elon might even label it Gigafactory 2...

bottomline, valuing the company in exact numbers is difficult during these times of policy transition, but valuing the company as a whole over the next 4 years(and beyond) is very clear in my mind.

It's wildly undervalued right now and accumulate when capable. Invest long, don't expect a trade to ever work.

Forgot to add, with grandfathering, solar leases/ppa become wildly more valuable then those people that purchased because ppa/leases can be transferred to new home owners in a home sale. That includes the net metering rate under which that lease/ppa was signed.

a person that purchases, does not get that same "grandfathering" upon sale of their house.

A lease holder can in effect have more buyer interest as a result over someone that has a purchased system since now that house with the purchased system goes under the current Nevada net metering scheme and receive dramatically less credit for energy put on the grid.

So, if this same action holds for California and other states, Solarcity may gain further demand of its lease/ppa product if more net metering changes occur in other markets. Even the smallest changes will boost demand since it gives greater home value to lease/ppa home owners under previous net metering schemes.

bottomline, Solarcity may see increased residential ppa/lease demand as a result of net metering changes in the coming year in its primary markets.

With the average American selling their home within 7-9 years of initial purchase, grandfathering is a significant lease/ppa selling point and now has just become more so with the developments in Nevada. It also incentivizes ppa/lease holder to make monthly payments on time and in full even if home market crash because it will be a significant selling point compared to other homes. Want to be in good standing with Solarcity no matter what happens as a result (in addition to cheaper monthly energy costs as well). So default risk dramatically drops in Nevada as a result of grandfathering going through.

This is also has a positive effect on Solarcity building its network of aggregated systems since they will have complete control over all those systems in the 50/50 whole sale demand response compensation sharing with the customer. As the rive's have said before, it is already written into customer contracts for Solar+storage systems currently in he field.

Last edited:
Forgot to add, with grandfathering, solar leases/ppa become wildly more valuable then those people that purchased because ppa/leases can be transferred to new home owners in a home sale. That includes the net metering rate under which that lease/ppa was signed.

a person that purchases, does not get that same "grandfathering" upon sale of their house.

A lease holder can in effect have more buyer interest as a result over someone that has a purchased system since now that house with the purchased system goes under the current Nevada net metering scheme and receive dramatically less credit for energy put on the grid.

Interesting. So the idea is that SolarCity could be marketed to homeowners as having somewhat less regulatory risk when it comes to resale. I don't know how to evaluate that benefit numerically (probably not very much at all), but it's an interesting observation.

Foghat, I see that you are basically evangelical at this point. Answer some very basic things if you would:

If stacks of grid services are that infinitely valuable:

a) Grid exists today and it works quite very well. So what is the value proposition of these stacks? lower electricity bills? more renewables in the grid? That was the promise brought on by solar to begin with. What's new then? Or is there new money to be made somehow? If so who will pay and why?

b) Who is providing these services today? Once again, Grid exists today and it works quite very well. So somebody must be making all these gobs of money already. Who is it? and how and why will they disappear?

c) What happens to everyone else with batteries? Like you know the big boy cousin Musk with his PowerPacks? Why would powerwalls be more efficient at squeezing out greater value out of the grid than the powerpacks? Powerpacks will be installed everywhere, not just to compliment renewables but also with non-renewables. So why should grid call out to DG for these stacks of value?

d) Remember that JB seminar where he wanted to make money off of Tesla car batteries as they are hooked into the grid? It's 10s or 100s of cumulative GWs that will be using the grid and can provide these services as almost a secondary side effect.

All this stacks-of-value and gobs-of-money are vapourware which nobody knows how it will all turn out to be.

You want to make a bet four years out on some ultra speculative model based on some pilot projects where nobody knows how the revenues and cashflows shake out. It's you money and your wish. But please don't preach as though this is some sort of done deal, just waiting for money to pour in.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh lest I forget, supercharger stations have gobs of batteries that are idle for most part of the year (heavy consumption is only over weekends and holidays). They too can and will provide these stacks-of-value to the grid.

Interesting. So the idea is that SolarCity could be marketed to homeowners as having somewhat less regulatory risk when it comes to resale. I don't know how to evaluate that benefit numerically (probably not very much at all), but it's an interesting observation.

This is actually immediately effective in California since net metering will be mildly degraded if expected decision comes on Thursday. If passed, the rates don't go into effect until the net metering caps are met in each utility territory. So, for the next 2 or 3 quarters, Solarcity may see nice residential demand pressure as we get closer to reaching the caps and switching over to the new rates.

and as a result of lease/ppa being transferable over the 20 years under grandfathering to new home owners (where onwership is not), we would see lease/ppa sales have increased demand as well.

again this should reflect in bookings over the next few quarters as net metering caps get closer to closing out and the new NEM scheme kicks in.

im not sure if Solarcity would bump up guidance to greater then 40% compounded, but I'm sure the mix of expected bookings will skew as toward California more so than usual this year specifically.

In effect, i don't think we investors will have to worry about 2016 demand as a result.

For context, Randy Carlson who is one of the best experts in understanding Tesla and the eco system has been long preaching grid-services as a market that Tesla will exploit tremendously. I see very very limited space for SolarCity in this.

Sort of like ZEV credits, the credit looses value exponentially as more EVs are built.

No, don't hold your breath on this nonsense.

SolarCity needs to pay for the batteries in the first place. It's not somehow free. Tesla is *guaranteed* to make money on every powerwall solarcity sells. But solarcity, not so much. No one knows.

Who is going to design, implement, maintain and monitor all these micro-grids? The battery company or the primary energy provider?

What is the difference between a gigafactory battery and a straight Panasonic battery?

Are you suggesting that SolarCity will manage

- Tesla's superchargers

- Tesla Cars that are plugged into the grid around the world

- Powerpacks installed everywhere

- Myriad other battery makers and their installers/consumers

and make money off of all of them?

- - - Updated - - -

Admittedly not knowing a ton about it, what storage seems to do for SolarCity is provide them a lot more insulation against NEM regulation. Not so much an increase in per installation revenue. Is that a fair statement?

Yes, that is correct - and that comes with a price.

The debate here is that some folks believe SolarCity will make gobs of additional money through some esoteric "grid services" where there is zero competition now and ever will be. I am just calling all of that vapourware because nobody knows any of it. Let alone make a big claim that SolarCity will be infinitely more valuable because of it.

I think Elon would agree we're more likely to see Tesla sold to another automaker than to go into the micro-grid business. SCTY is aiming to be the largest power provider in the nation(or was it world?). It's much easier for TSLA to outsource their supercharger solar arrays and storage monitoring to SCTY.

It's the electrician that ties your power sources together not the battery manufacturer. SCTY will take whatever batteries you like and tie them into a micro-grid along with your solar array. They're doing the tests as we speak.

Both entities have clear missions and no interest in competing with each other that I can see.

SolarCity doesn't even operate much of the places that Tesla exists (superchargers, cars or powerpacks), let alone other battery players.

I am not sure what you mean by micro-grids.

The micro-grids that I know of are independent grids that exist in islands or isolated campuses. Building micro-grids is entirely different from making money by providing stacks of services to the Grid itself (see the capital in Grid). The discussion is about the latter.

SolarCity doesn't even operate much of the places that Tesla exists (superchargers, cars or powerpacks), let alone other battery players.

I am not sure what you mean by micro-grids.

The micro-grids that I know of are independent grids that exist in islands or isolated campuses. Building micro-grids is entirely different from making money by providing stacks of services to the Grid itself (see the capital in Grid). The discussion is about the latter.[/QUOTE ]

Nobody is doing this now, Solar city is blazing a trail here. They also are a very large installer of power packs. The largest benefit is the power wall will be the vast numbers of them and solar cities unprecedented data gathering/control of electricity data. Management has gone over a lot of this in the past but I guess it was before you invested in scty.

Admittedly not knowing a ton about it, what storage seems to do for SolarCity is provide them a lot more insulation against NEM regulation. Not so much an increase in per installation revenue. Is that a fair statement?
http://www.consciouscompanymagazine...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

lyndon rive: Solarcity will have two customers. The utiltiy and the home/commerical solar customer. Sell energy to home user and sell services to the utiltiy. Both at the same time through solar+storage+smart inverter.

solar+storage changes the game with respect to NEM since now Solarcity can control when surplus goes on the grid. Having his control is very very valuable, because the grid at large can ask for that energy whenever it needs to, specifically when peak demand is happening. At the same time, solar customers can flip to battery mode to offset high energy demand internally outside of any grid peaks that may occur.

My feeling is NEM wiont be as compelling as the solar+storage grid services in addition to internal energy flexibility for cost savings solar+storage product offers. As such market forces, as much as a market materialize, will motivate people to go solar+storage, which will effectively migrate net metering to a new business relationship with Solarcity and the utiltiy.

so, yes, NEM risk hedged, but more importantly, NEM may likely just fade away as the consumer migrates to the more valuable solar+storage product.

This also goes to the renewal argument they pops up every so often. If Solarcity offers a compelling Solarcity+storage product at the end of traditional solar customer contract, will thst customer purchase thst product or just end using solar. If that product is complelling, renewable will not only happen, but I feel they will sign another long term contract under solar+storage services scheme.

add:
Supreme Court ruled FERC has oversight of demand response wholesale markets. This demand response wholesale market is what Solarcity will tap into through aggregation of all its systems. FERC also noted that NEM is not a wholesale market.

in order to value Solarcity demand response, we must look at what prices those demand response services are going for right now in Solarcity markets, say California and New York. For example, Right now, Adnanced Microgrid has a contract with allow a utility to tap into 10MWhs of distrubuted powerpacks installed at various consumer sided buildings off the 405 in SoCal for its instantaneous demand response capabilities. Also, Solarcity is currently developing interoperability stsndards (which may become the standard protocol for all solar+storage installs regardless of company) under an on going 50 customer solar+storage poliot program also in SoCal. Initial results are to come this year and continue into 2017. Bottomline, this is happening in current time and is a matter on when not a matter of if...

Last edited:
Nobody is doing this now, Solar city is blazing a trail here. They also are a very large installer of power packs. The largest benefit is the power wall will be the vast numbers of them and solar cities unprecedented data gathering/control of electricity data. Management has gone over a lot of this in the past but I guess it was before you invested in scty.

I have been in SCTY since near IPO. Sorry, you didn't catch or address anything I wrote. Let me try to explain myself better in a later post.

- - - Updated - - -

This is - The Grid

http://www.geni.org/globalenergy/li...america/americannationalelectricitygrid.shtml

Each nation gets one of it's own.

Topic-1

So SolarCity could in theory make money providing services to this beast. But no one knows how much. It's all at very experimental stages. Whatever services it is, the protocol will be uniform such that anyone with the right battery and the interface will be able to provide those services. SolarCity has no authority on this grid to dictate complete dominance (no less with Tesla batteries). Period. It's available for everyone whenever it opens up. All batteries will compete - superchargers, tesla cars, powerwalls and all other batteries from myriad other folks, they will all compete.

Topic-2

The discussion of building independent micro-grids from ground up is a separate topic. That is applicable for developing world where grid doesn't exist (well). Here too we don't know anything yet. AFAIK SolarCity hasn't built a single micro-grid for anyone yet, except maybe as part of the non-profit work they do on a limited basis. I know few others already doing it in India etc. So SolarCity not only needs to master building these but also expand globally and compete with the local folks - in the developing world.

Topic-3

Now in theory the big beast above could completely be disintegrated into a million micro-grids within each developed nation. SolarCity would argue that is better in terms of reliability, cost of maintenance and so forth. But that is one massive dream to transition from the beast we have to the atomic structure that SolarCity would fantasize. I, or anyone for that matter, have no idea if or when it will ever happen. What's the roadmap. Who will be the agent of change and why?

Question

So when you are saying that SolarCity will get monumentally big through "grid services". Can you please clarify which one of these three you are talking about?

- - - Updated - - -

Side note: We will all do lot better if we don't take management's word for it's face value. True personal story.

Status
Not open for further replies.