Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone recently shopped SolarCity for a 10 kWh pack from Tesla. The quoted price forna 10 year lease was $1500 down plus $15/month. Discounting at 9%, this has a present value of $2684. If an average of 7.5 kWh is discharged each day, this works out to a levelized cost of about $0.10 per kWh. This strikes me as a pretty reasonable price. The value of having backup when the grid is down may prove to be the tipping point for many.

I'd simply look at it as 73.5c/day. What return can you get on it? Maybe more if you live somewhere with poor solar feed-in returns or if you have real-time pricing and can arbitrage the differentials. But over its life maybe only 6.25kWh usable average, so given charging/discharging losses it might be tough to do anything more than stick it to the man.

What I think is _really_ good about it, is that static storage is a no-lose proposition for Tesla:
- If current electricity pricing continues, with per-kWh pricing of infrastructural costs, static storage economics are good.
- If static storage and solar PV forced pricing to adjust to separate fixed infrastructural costs by Amperage or fixed fee, and only fuel costs by kWh then it will make electric cars cheaper to own.

Analyst Recommendations Today

11/06
Deutsche Bank : reiterates "buy" w/ PT $90
Roth Capital: reiterates "buy" w/ PT $98
JP Morgan: reiterates "overweight" but changes PT from $74 to $72
Baird & Co: reiterates "neutral" w/ PT $83
Raymond : reiterates "outperform" but changes PT from $80 to $75
11/05
Canaccord: reiterates "buy" but changes PT from $95 to $87

Attachments

• SCTY ANR.bmp
    379.8 KB · Views: 686
To me it looks like Republicans taking up Senate is a perceived negative for SCTY (and VSLR). The fear is that tax credits will not be extended.
Seems like a very good bet. With climate-change-denier Sen. Inhofe taking over as chair of the Committee on Environment and Public Works, and with Sen. Murkowski of Alaska at the helm of the Energy and Natural Resources Committee, it looks like "drill, baby, drill" is going to be the Congressional direction. A WSJ good article on this yesterday.

QUOTE: "After representing 36% of total U.S. residential solar installations in Q2 2014—more than the next 50 installers combined—we expect the 33% sequential growth in our residential deployments to lead to an even higher percentage in Q3 2014."

And market share really matters. As long as solar market continue to consolidate, with smaller players becoming uncompetitive due to economy of scale there is a tremendous value in being market leader. And there would be a market for residential solar in US, doesn't matter who won election, democrats or republicans.

Maybe, but I would worry a lot, were I an investor in SCTY or any solar stocks, that a change in a retail rate regulation or removal of federal and/or state subsidies could cripple the business. I admit, though, that the solar industry has gotten so big and employs so many people that such changes are increasingly unlikely.

Merrill Lynch confirms PT$95 and "buy" rating. Here's why.

BofA/Merrill Lynch analyst Krish Sankar reiterated a Buy rating and $95 price target on SolarCity (NASDAQ: SCTY) following strong bookings and execution in Q3.Sankar commented, "SolarCity continued its strong execution in 3Q14 with bookings of 230MW versus our 200MW estimate, and OpEx of $100M well below our $118M estimate. Nominal contracted payments remaining of $4.1B was also in excess of our $3.99B forecast."
The analyst added, "contracted payments remaining of $4.1B was also in excess of our $3.99B forecast. Deployments came in slightly below the 142MW anticipated in our model at 137MW, primarily as a result of a large commercial project the company no longer expects to complete. As a result, management lowered CY14 installation guidance to 505-520MW (500-550MW previously). Importantly, CY15 deployment range was increased to 920MW to 1GW (900MW to 1GW previously)."
The firm raised FY 2014 EPS from ($3.17) to ($1.85), FY 2015 EPS from ($4.87) to ($4.84) and FY 2016 EPS from ($4.24) to ($4.18).

Tell the Walton Family: Stop your hypocritical undercover campaign to destroy rooftop solar. | CREDO Action

Tell the Walton Family: Stop your campaign to make it harder for Americans to go solar. Click here to sign the petition.
The Waltons own a majority stake in First Solar, a Malaysia-based corporation that manufactures large-scale commercial solar arrays that utilities may buy and add to their energy mix to meet state clean energy standards. First Solar is putting a bet on utility-scale solar, which wants to rig the playing field by suppressing residential solar installations. In a nakedly self-serving move, First Solar is working to impose fees on residential households with rooftop solar.[SUP]2[/SUP]
First Solar sees rooftop solar as a competitive threat, and is heavily involved in cutthroat campaigns nationwide to destroy the residential rooftop solar industry and make it harder for Americans to go solar.
Their strategy is already working in Arizona, where residential solar installations dropped 40% after Walton family-supported fees were introduced, leading to unprecedented job losses in Arizona’s solar industry.
Not satisfied with a single state, the Waltons have also given millions to pro-fossil fuel groups like the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and the Koch brothers front group, Americans for Prosperity, to fund similar anti-clean energy policies across the country.

TECHNOLOGY: SolarCitys CEO on competition, pain and having Elon Musk as a cousin -- Monday, November 10, 2014 -- www.eenews.net

I wonder what the new product Lyndon mentioned in this interview is. It is going to be announced today or tomorrow

Nice. Thanks for the article! I loved seeing this affirmation. A couple of people two years ago thought they would turn into this.

On where SolarCity will be in five years

After thinking a moment, Rive said that will be not merely a solar rooftop company, but a full-fledged energy-services company. An integral part of that will be a residential battery system that stores the energy from those solar panels and a system to exchange that energy with the power company. It's no surprise that SolarCity is working with Tesla to provide the batteries (ClimateWire, Dec. 6).

One thing that struck me in the podcast: Rive says the Retained Value is net of tax equity guys but it is NOT net of debt. He said that debt is on the Balance Sheet that we can see so that's not netted out as part of Retained Value.

I've been away from this thread for too long, finally catching up! SBenson, I am 99.9% sure that what Rive said/meant is that retained value does not factor in debt service costs. The debt (principal) is accounted for because the cost of the system is accounted for in the RV calculation. The fact that they finance the cost of the systems they build is separate.

Does that make more sense?

Technically the stock looks like a good buy right now bouncing off that hard support at $50 for the 10th time, really doesn't want to go below that number it seems. The financials are a bit confusing to me though, looking at the data from google finance which shows a large minority interest, 50% higher than their revenue, is this from their leasing contracts or? I would like to hear peoples case for owning the stock, what is the revenue per customer, what kind of profit margin can be expected in the future, are they cheaper than competitors?

I've been away from this thread for too long, finally catching up! SBenson, I am 99.9% sure that what Rive said/meant is that retained value does not factor in debt service costs. The debt (principal) is accounted for because the cost of the system is accounted for in the RV calculation. The fact that they finance the cost of the systems they build is separate.

Does that make more sense?

Thanks for the post FrozenCanuck… Although not 100% convinced, I think you might be right. The Retained Value definition from the slideshow in footnotes says that it is net of bunch of things including depreciation. So it seems the cost of the asset is effectively taken out of the retained value. Do you have any other references that indicate that the cost of the system is already accounted for in the RV calculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.