Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent four years as a Solar Rebate Inspector with the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. My assigned territory included Beverly Hills, Bel Air, the Pacific Palisades, Venice and cities south to LAX. I mention this only to add color to my observations. These are some of the wealthiest communities in the world. I also performed a significant number of inspections in middle class neighborhoods throughout the San Fernando Valley.

I made it point to ask each client I met with “Why they had invested in solar power?” From 2010 until early 2012 an overwhelming majority said their decision was environmental. Since that time, more and more of customers mentioned finances as a motivating factor.

I have found it interesting the number of elderly that have invested in solar.

On one occasion I went to inspect a home, and met a woman I assumed to be in her eighties or maybe even older. She was striking in her beauty. You know that rare woman with the bone structure of a model. Even in the twilight of her years, my first impression was that she had lived a life of privilege. The sort of woman whose beauty creates a charmed existence.

When we began to speak, I realized how shallow my first impression was. Despite her years, she was bright, intelligent, witty and charming. Eventually, I got around to asking her my rehearsed, hackneyed question. Why have you invested in solar power? Now should probably mention, I am six feet six inches tall and weigh about 250 pounds. The elderly lady I speaking to about 5 feet tall, and she couldn’t have weighed one hundred pounds. She spun around, pointed her finger directly in face and said, because I like sticking it to the man. All my life, the utilities have dictated what I pay for electricity, the oil companies have dictated what I pay for gasoline. I’m taking control of what I pay. Above this, I’m setting an example for my children. Solar power makes great sense.

This woman made an impression on me that I will carry for the rest of my life. People can and do change the world.

I am no longer working as a Solar Power Inspector. Being privy to the number of solar installations in Los Angeles, I know that we have just scratched the surface. Solar Power is a target rich environment.

Anyone that is peddling SolarCity’s lack of demand, is ill-informed. SolarCity is a dynamic sales organization, backed by an installation team that simply executes. They have an extraordinary work ethic, and they get the job done right the first time. I know this from first hand experience.

Short SolarCity at your peril, they are an organization of true believers, backed by an enormous customer base of true believers. Just my two cents based on speaking directly to hundreds and hundreds of their customers.

Thanks for your wonderful story. After a while it can be draining to deal with so much difficulty with stocks. So it's good to read a story that puts a human face on all this. In our own way we all want to stick it to the man. We want to be free to make out own choices and free to make the world just a little bit better.

Speak of the devil....

The Caucus to Save the World

Two south Florida congressmen last week created a new House task force on climate change that seeks to propose clean energy legislation in the next two months. And despite strong headwinds, the bill may not be dead on arrival.

The new Climate Solutions Caucus differs from most other House groups in that its co-founders, Representatives Carlos Curbelo and Ted Deutch, are from different parties. And they want to keep it bipartisan, with an even number of Rs and Ds. It's probably not a coincidence that Curbelo, a Republican from Florida's 26th congressional district, and Deutch, a Democrat from the 21st district, represent people witnessing climate change in its starkest terms: Their communities, in Miami and surrounding counties, are slowly slipping into the sea.

The formation of the new group, while a baby step in a deeply polarized Congress, may be the beginning of the most serious attempt in seven years to build bipartisan support for climate policy in the House, which Republicans have controlled since 2011. And with the Supreme Court's decision this week to freeze President Barack Obama's Clean Power Plan, the likelihood Congress will have the final say in this arena seems ever more certain.

I spent four years as a Solar Rebate Inspector with the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. My assigned territory included Beverly Hills, Bel Air, the Pacific Palisades, Venice and cities south to LAX. I mention this only to add color to my observations. These are some of the wealthiest communities in the world. I also performed a significant number of inspections in middle class neighborhoods throughout the San Fernando Valley.

I made it point to ask each client I met with “Why have you invested in solar power?” From 2010 until early 2012 an overwhelming majority said their decision was environmental. Since that time, more and more of customers mentioned finances as a motivating factor.

I have found it interesting the number of elderly that have invested in solar.

On one occasion I went to inspect a home, and met a woman I assumed to be in her eighties or maybe even older. She was striking in her beauty. You know that rare woman with the bone structure of a model. Even in the twilight of her years, my first impression was that she had lived a life of privilege. The sort of woman whose beauty creates a charmed existence.

When we began to speak, I realized how shallow my first impression was. Despite her years, she was bright, intelligent, witty and charming. Eventually, I got around to asking her my rehearsed, hackneyed question. Why have you invested in solar power? Now I should probably mention, I am six feet six inches tall and weigh about 250 pounds. The elderly lady I was speaking to was about 5 feet tall, and couldn’t have weighed one hundred pounds. She spun around, pointed her finger directly in my face and said, because I like sticking it to the man. All my life, the utilities have dictated what I pay for electricity, the oil companies have dictated what I pay for gasoline. I’m taking control of what I pay. Above this, I’m setting an example for my children. Solar power makes great sense.

This woman made an impression on me that I will carry for the rest of my life. People can and do change the world.

I am no longer working as a Solar Power Inspector. Being privy to the number of solar installations in Los Angeles, I know that we have just scratched the surface. Solar Power is a target rich environment.

Anyone that is peddling SolarCity’s lack of demand, is ill-informed. SolarCity is a dynamic sales organization, backed by an installation team that simply executes. They have an extraordinary work ethic, and they get the job done right the first time. I know this from first hand experience.

Short SolarCity at your peril, they are an organization of true believers, backed by an enormous customer base of true believers. Just my two cents based on speaking directly to hundreds and hundreds of their customers.

This sounds exciting. I know a lot of people feel the same way and that at some point this will be a no brainer for everyone to see.

However your warning to shorts rings hollow. Pretty much every short in the history of SCTY is in the money. And it seems like they will have plenty of time to cover at their leisure.

This sounds exciting. I know a lot of people feel the same way and that at some point this will be a no brainer for everyone to see.

Solarcity's success or failure will have no effect on the growth of solar. Solarcity trains future competitors and stimulates new markets. If they face steadily increasing customer acquisition costs they can not be successful in residential. Which is perhaps one reason Rive keeps bring up commercial.

The amount of megawatts to be installed over the five years in the U.S. is remarkable. But no company can be successful paying a lot per megawatt to get that business.

However your warning to shorts rings hollow. Pretty much every short in the history of SCTY is in the money. And it seems like they will have plenty of time to cover at their leisure.
That's perfectly fine, markets should be cold and objective. I'm fairly confident that once cash-flow positive is achieved there will be a massive swing in valuation and the stock will price based much closer to reality. Gotta change trajectory and get most of the way there first!

- - - Updated - - -

What's up with this FMR LLC SEC filing? "More than 5%"? Is that Fidelity on someone's behalf?

Commercial Demand Charges

The cash-cow for electric utilities is "demand Charging".

I remain convinced it is SolarCity's greatest opportunity.

Do we have any business owners on this forum that might want to add some color to what their electric bills (demand charges) are?

Hey, Benson, it would be helpful if you could explain your calculations in the last two lines. I can't figure out the math you are using, so I'm not in a position to understand the conclusions you are drawing. So please walk us through the math.

The simpler observation to make here is that cash and CE has fallen $182M over the last 4 quarters and $24.5M in the last quarter. So while they are substantially cash flow negative, the burn rate has improved in this last quarter. Moreover the last quarter is a low solar output quarter. So the net cash was only a decline of about $0.10/W deployed. Thus, had their cost been just $2.61/W instead of $2.71/W, they would have been cash net neutral.

So I think the first order of business is to move to cash flow positive. Then we can worry about longterm value creation. If you are concerned about solvency, cash flow is much more critical that any sort of longterm NPV.

Hello James, The math is pretty straightforward but I probably didn't explain it well enough.

The last-but-one line is simply half of "PowerCo Portfolio’s Pre-Tax Unlevered NPV remaining" line item. Basically this is my estimate of what actual contracted $s NPV with proper discounting would be.

The last line takes the last-but-one line, adds cash and subtracts ALL debts.

This might be a bit rough but here the goal is not to build a precise valuation model. But simply to show 'debt burden'.

Yes, totally agreed that liquidity should be the concern (if at all) and not solvency. But there is a HUGE point that you and TheTalkingMule are missing.

Looking at purely changes in Cash as a liquidity gauge is meaningful for a 'normal' company like Tesla. But not at all for SolarCity. In case of SolarCity the debt and cash are intricately related. Let me illustrate the point with real numbers.

Period
2015 Q32015 Q4Change
Debt and Cash:

Debt – Recourse$M($522.00)($602.50)$80.50
Debt – Convertible$M($796.00)($909.00)$113.00
Cash & Short-Term Investments$M$418.40$393.90$24.50
Current Portfolio Value

Cumulative MW Deployed under Energy Contracts – EoPGW1.51.7
PowerCo Portfolio’s Pre-Tax Unlevered NPV remaining$M$2,790$3,235
Debt – Non-Recourse$M($1,013)($1,242)$229.00
PowerCo portfolio Pre-Tax Unlevered NPV Less Debt$M$1,777$1,993

Net increase in debt (all forms)

$422.50

Net-Expenses for the quarter

$447.00
Again all numbers from slide-1 except the last two rows.

As you see in the bottom-right cell that the net-expenses in Q4, above and beyond the incoming cash flow from consumers, was $447 million. It so happens that out of $447mil, $422.5mil was financed through increased borrowing. While a small amount of $24.5mil was spent from cash.

Now in a hypotetical scenario, if they borrowed only $200mln instead, the cash flow would be -$247mln. If say, they were able to borrow only $100mln, the cashflow would be -$347mil. Lets say they weren't able to procure any debt at all, the cash-flow would be the full -$447 million... I hope you see the point now. The change in cash is very directly related to the amount of borrowing.

This is where my original table becomes applicable as that demonstrates how high the debt has reached and sort of gives the clue that the debt trajectory is un-sustainable. If debt is unsustainable, and they are unable to procure much debt, then the cashflow will be dramatically negative.

In fact if debt stops for a mere single quarter, SolarCity will go bankrupt immediately! Their cash hoard won't be enough to sustain even a single quarter.

I have more to write but I will pause now to let this sink in.

The cash-cow for electric utilities is "demand Charging".

I remain convinced it is SolarCity's greatest opportunity.

Do we have any business owners on this forum that might want to add some color to what their electric bills (demand charges) are?

Solarcity will need to eventually get PPA customers to buy batteries to attach to the solar system that they do not own. That is a pretty weird business plan.

It is unclear if the SEDG inverters installed to date will eventually work with the 7kwh powerwall and demand response.

Solarcity will need to eventually get PPA customers to buy batteries to attach to the solar system that they do not own. That is a pretty weird business plan.

It is unclear if the SEDG inverters installed to date will eventually work with the 7kwh powerwall and demand response.

What part of add on services as a business plan is weird? It might be weird if a local Installer installed your system and you never heard from them until years down the road when they approach you about a battery. But for someone who you're paying bills to monthly and is monitoring your system I fail to see how this could be viewed as weird. Even in the local installer example I don't think it would be our of place. ...

The last-but-one line is simply half of "PowerCo Portfolio’s Pre-Tax Unlevered NPV remaining" line item. Basically this is my estimate of what actual contracted $s NPV with proper discounting would be.

The last line takes the last-but-one line, adds cash and subtracts ALL debts.

And this is precisely what an average algorithm is kicking out right now, and why stock prices can tank to a floor that is half the cash(really profit) owed on contracts. The reasons may be a bit different, but both parties are knocking off retained revenue due to costs TODAY and taking zero stock in the fact that this industry is lock to be THE monster of the next 10-15 years and that costs are naturally going to be obscene as SCTY builds out at a nationwide scale.

When sentiment is based on the concept that solar will require increasing sales costs over the next few years, that's when I click 'Buy'. That concept is simply blind to the reality of where the market is clearly going. I'm 38 and have loads of friends with money, a conscience and far too many kids to spend the time sourcing solar themselves. The market for "touch-free solar" will be huge, that is an near certainty, so unless there's a major change in the way we source solar in the US......I'm bullish.

We've illustrated time and again the inherent advantages of operating locally, yet we refuse to acknowledge that at the end of this road SCTY is standing alone in a sector that will command somewhere between 20% and 50% of the total solar market. I mean...."ALL DEBTS"? How you gonna value a world-changing initiative like this by paying off ALL it's debts in round 2 of a 25 round battle to the death? I'm pretty sure that's not the gameplan.

Still GREATLY value the pessimist(yet fully logical) view and all the deep figure analyzing. However I do feel it gets a little arbitrary when you start moving around the inputs too much as we saw the other day where a writer tried to imply grid prices would go up .5% each year for the next 20-30 years and several other highly unlikely input nudges. Lo and behold.....a locked in PPA looked mediocre in that scenario. If you want SCTY to pay off all it's debt today, yes the operation will look unsustainable.

This might be a bit rough but here the goal is not to build a precise valuation model. But simply to show 'debt burden'.

Yes, totally agreed that liquidity should be the concern (if at all) and not solvency. But there is a HUGE point that you and TheTalkingMule are missing.

They're currently financing greater than 100% of install costs on these ABS offerings. When I get an indication there is less than excess demand I will perhaps be concerned. As I've mentioned in the past, I simply don't see a lack of appetite for 5% returns on bets that the sun will continue to hit the roofs of wealth homeowners. Especially now that the Bank of Japan is charging you to sit on your money and others are talking about it.

Iif this were not Musk I would be 50% more concerned, but it is no I'm not. He's going to Mars for god's sake.

The ability to generate power (solar), store that energy to batteries, and then use that stored power to offset demand charges will be a tremendous opportunity. Fortunately, California has legally mandated this technology.I would love to see some business owners, or commercial building owners weigh in with how much there paying in demand charges. We can do the math.

TheTalkingMule,

1) The question is not about how much debt there is. The question is how much more they can acquire. If they can't accelerate debt, their cashflow will turn negative - very sharply!

There are natural limits to how much they can borrow and at what pace. My guess is they are very near hitting the limits. It's game over already. Max they have is two quarters.

The only rescue is to sell the assets (contracts) to third parties. So it's not debt anymore, but sort of revenue in loose terms. Bulls need to pray to god that works out. Even then, you need to hope that it can happen in a recurring fashion.

2) "They're currently financing greater than 100% of install costs on these ABS offerings."

This is a load of baloney. You trust management too much. Look up the table again.

Period
2015 Q32015 Q4Change

Debt and Cash:

Debt – Recourse$M($522.00)($602.50)$80.50
Debt – Convertible$M($796.00)($909.00)$113.00
Cash & Short-Term Investments$M$418.40$393.90$24.50
Total

$218.00

Current Portfolio Value

Cumulative MW Deployed under Energy Contracts – EoPGW1.51.7
PowerCo Portfolio’s Pre-Tax Unlevered NPV remaining$M$2,790$3,235
Debt – Non-Recourse$M($1,013)($1,242)$229.00
PowerCo portfolio Pre-Tax Unlevered NPV Less Debt$M$1,777$1,993

Recourse debt went up, and cash went down by a cumulative $218mln in Q4. This is the money that certainly did NOT come from ABS, which was spent in Q4 (alone).

1) The question is not about how much debt there is. The question is how much more they can acquire. If they can't accelerate debt, their cashflow will turn negative - very sharply!
I 100% agree, and apologize for my past lack of faith in your analysis! I just don't think it will be an issue. They are clearly looking to go cash-flow positive in 2016 and with the ITC extended they should be able to do it. That should end any worries.

Again if this were an unknown entity I'd be a good bit more concerned about raising capital, but it's Musk. As long as the long term business model is rational and profitable he will never give up on SCTY.

I 100% agree, and apologize for my past lack of faith in your analysis! I just don't think it will be an issue. They are clearly looking to go cash-flow positive in 2016 and with the ITC extended they should be able to do it. That should end any worries.

Again if this were an unknown entity I'd be a good bit more concerned about raising capital, but it's Musk. As long as the long term business model is rational and profitable he will never give up on SCTY.

No apologies warranted at all. We all get caught up in our views.

"As long as the long term business model is rational and profitable"

Unfortunately, there is a painful discovery happening right now that it is not a rational business model. It will take time for people to absorb this.

Before I go too crazy on this, I will let jhm chime in.

Unfortunately, there is a painful discovery happening right now that it is not a rational business model. It will take time for people to absorb this.

In a vacuum....today....with everything staying as is....100% correct. But the idea that tomorrow will even remotely resemble today is just absurd.

We really need to build an online dashboard and work this thing out. I'll get on it!

TheTalkingMule,

There are natural limits to how much they can borrow and at what pace. My guess is they are very near hitting the limits. It's game over already. Max they have is two quarters.

The only rescue is to sell the assets (contracts) to third parties. So it's not debt anymore, but sort of revenue in loose terms. Bulls need to pray to god that works out. Even then, you need to hope that it can happen in a recurring fashion.

Thanks for your analysis. I want to make sure I understand you correctly. You are saying they have a serious cash flow problem even if they don't grow any more. This is due to the inability to borrow enough to cover the cost of new installations? Why don't you think they can use the "PowerCo portfolio Pre-Tax Unlevered NPV Less Debt" to finance more debt? In this case, what are the "natural limits to how much they can borrow and at what pace?" Why wouldn't the natural limits increase with the Unlevered NPV Less Debt? Why didn't they run into these limits before now? What has changed? I'm not denying anything you've said. I'm just trying to understand.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.