Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure, SCTY peaked a little after 11 Eastern when oil was still near the low of the day. They did announce the ER date today - TSLA got a similar bump last week after announcing.

Could be, but oil futures trade around the clock, and they were up significantly from Friday's price at open. It's often less just about the spot price than the trend investors see as well, and if they think the trend has turned, they will bid up oil futures and (though I don't necessarily agree with reason for correlation), so-called "alternative" energy stocks.

SCTY earnings is this Wednesday. Anyone have any thoughts on it? They had a good run up the last couple weeks but I think they could report ok and the momentum could keep going. I'm not sure what the short interest is now but at one point about a month ago I beleive it was at 40%.

SCTY earnings is this Wednesday. Anyone have any thoughts on it? They had a good run up the last couple weeks but I think they could report ok and the momentum could keep going. I'm not sure what the short interest is now but at one point about a month ago I beleive it was at 40%.

I am very excited about this earnings call. I am crossing my fingers for an update to the 1 million customer goal by mid year 2018.

I believe as of Jan. 15 the short interest was 34.8 percent. Short Interest in SolarCity Corp Drops By 4.1% (SCTY) - The Legacy
It has come down but it is still heavily shorted. On Interactive Brokers most shorted by sector they have come down from second (behind transocean) most shorted to fifth.

As far as pure dollars invested it would seem that these people are more excited about the earnigns call than me. A hedge fund aquired 5.4 percent stake in SCTY :)

http://www.streetinsider.com/13Gs/JANA+Partners+Shows+New+5.4%25+Stake+in+SOLARCITY+%28SCTY%29/10277181.html

I own a bunch of underwater options that hopefully will be made right with this earnings report but we shall see.

I am also interested to hear me about the old Solyndra facility that they leased. In the Silevo conference call they talked about really ramping up R&D and it is exciting to see this part of the business ramping up.

In 5 years when SCTY is the top panel producer everyone will say it was always really apparent they would be the top producer :)

The earnings report looked good to me. A continuation of growth and growing prospects. The stock had taken a rise a couple of weeks going into earnings; we've lost about half that rise since. Sun Edison's results, with a similar story, caused SUNE to go up. Short term noise.

Yeah, I was pleased with the report too. Just another year doubling the business.

I thought shorts were simply attacking the price to nullify the news. I put a limit order in at $52.50, thinking shorts would drive the price down again, but I was wrong. So maybe we'll see the price recover soon.

Yeah, I was pleased with the report too. Just another year doubling the business.

I thought shorts were simply attacking the price to nullify the news. I put a limit order in at $52.50, thinking shorts would drive the price down again, but I was wrong. So maybe we'll see the price recover soon.

My thinking too. I setup a limit order at 52.01 but I guess I was too low, too late.

My thinking too. I setup a limit order at 52.01 but I guess I was too low, too late.
Well maybe enough of us had the same idea that the shorts knew it would be costly. They are able to see the order book and guage demand. So for me it's good if the order goes through and good if the price is defended. I've got enough shares already that I'm not worried about missing out.

I thought the quarter went really well too. I am really excited about the commercial jobs gaining momentum because of the new mounting hardware. A 2-3 week installation only takes 2 - 3 days.

I was hoping they would guide for 2016 but it would make more sense for them to do that next earnings call anyway

I was under impression that SunPower was competing with SolarCity on residential solar market in US. Today was an earning report from SPWR. So it was a good timing to take a look and do some research and here is the numbers I digged out:

iWqlZpL.jpg

So essentially SunPower is becoming irrelevant on US residential solar market. In Q2''13 they installed ~2.4 times less MW then SCTY, now they do less than a one tenth. And a year ago SPWR guided for 320 to 350 MW recognised total worldwide in Q1’14, now they are guiding for 240 to 270 MW recognised in Q1’15. Solar market is growing while SunPower installing less MW. And SunPower revenue gone from 758,192 in Q4'13 to 609,661 in Q4'14. Writing is on the wall.

SolarCity had 39% of residential market share in Q3'14. In Q4'14 SCTY installed 24.5% more MW than in Q3. So most probably SCTY increased it marketshare again. Waiting for Vivint Solar report on March 4.

US-PV-Installer-Market-GTM.png

Hi all,

I am trying to wrap my head around what the value is of solarcity as a company.

Could someone please explain to me what the difference is between
1) the contracted customer payments, which stands at US$5B (from the Q4 result presentation)
2) the retained value forecast of US$2.423B (from the Q4 result presentation)
3) the leased and to-be leased solar power agreements of US$2.796B (from the cost methodology)

Status
Not open for further replies.