Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge Monitoring w/Tesla Solar Panels (Using GWY10 Zigbee Gateway)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Within the last month or so tesla made a change that allows the inverters to communicate to solaredge through the zigbee (neo) gateway. However, the connection seems to be intermittent. It not have the S_OK checked most of the time, but about every 10 to 15 minutes it will connect and S_OK will get a check and it can communicate for a few minutes. Then S_OK goes away again and the cycle repeats. It’s odd, but it works to get the data to solaredge.

However, I’m not sure that’s the problem with your missing data. Your inverter is associated with your Solaredge site based on its serial number. You mention that your inverter was recently replaced, so my guess would be that tesla either hasn’t associated the new inverter with your existing site or possibly created a new site for the new inverter. In either case this is something that tesla would need to fix.

Thanks @BrettS you were right! I checked the inverter serial number in the logical layout view and it doesn’t match the new inverter. I had called Tesla yesterday and they told me everything looked fine on their side. I’ll ask them to update this. Good catch! :)

Within the last month or so tesla made a change that allows the inverters to communicate to solaredge through the zigbee (neo) gateway. However, the connection seems to be intermittent. It not have the S_OK checked most of the time, but about every 10 to 15 minutes it will connect and S_OK will get a check and it can communicate for a few minutes. Then S_OK goes away again and the cycle repeats. It’s odd, but it works to get the data to solaredge.

However, I’m not sure that’s the problem with your missing data. Your inverter is associated with your Solaredge site based on its serial number. You mention that your inverter was recently replaced, so my guess would be that tesla either hasn’t associated the new inverter with your existing site or possibly created a new site for the new inverter. In either case this is something that tesla would need to fix.

Well, I called Tesla two more times - the first time the support person told me that he didn’t know how to update it and that he would submit a new request to grant me monitoring portal access. I waited a week and saw nothing so I called again. The second time the person told me to power cycle my inverter which didn’t do anything, then she told me that they don’t provide support for any issues with the SE monitoring portal and that things look fine on Tesla’s side.

I did an online chat with a support person from SolarEdge yesterday and they updated my inverter serial number for me- now I see the correct serial in the layout and I also see the “last updated” timestamp changing in the app. I managed to see S_OK once yesterday for a split second but it went away once I went back to the monitoring communications setting screen. All checkboxes are green and the S_OK line always shows either a spinning red pinwheel or a dash. I don’t know what else could be blocking communication and I don’t want to run ethernet to the inverter (it’s outdoors and I’d definitely have to drill some holes).

The signal strength on the zigbee seems fine since the little radar icon is fully colored in and I don’t see any red lights on the neo, but I do see the “communication with zigbee gateway” getting dropped and coming back fairly regularly. The app seems to show local realtime data okay - I do see per panel information (non-zero) if I expand the panels but the main logical layout display shows 0W for every panel. SE monitoring shows nothing after Nov 17, the dates are greyed out after that.

Any ideas what could be going on, or suggestions on how to debug? I thought waiting 24 hours might populate something but so far no luck. Thanks in advance.

Called Energy Technical Customer Support at 877-961-7652.

Requested SolarEdge portal access layout view with panel-level access.

Tech knew what I was asking about and said he would put in request.

Read disclaimers on how any info I got from this access cannot be used to troubleshoot system. That Tesla would only troubleshoot on a system level any issues. Also asked why I was requesting this access.

Put in the request for supervisor and said to give in 4-6 business days. Gave me a case number and said he would follow up with me to see if I got access. Fingers crossed.

My system was turned on Dec 4th and called Tesla customer support to request the SolarEdge portal access on Dec 8th. I received email from SolarEdge this morning and data showing up in SolarEdge app. There is panel logical layout but understandable not the physicals layout available in the app. I am happy with their customer service even the earlier installation was questionable.

Called Energy Technical Customer Support at 877-961-7652.

Requested SolarEdge portal access layout view with panel-level access.

Tech knew what I was asking about and said he would put in request.

Read disclaimers on how any info I got from this access cannot be used to troubleshoot system. That Tesla would only troubleshoot on a system level any issues. Also asked why I was requesting this access.

Put in the request for supervisor and said to give in 4-6 business days. Gave me a case number and said he would follow up with me to see if I got access. Fingers crossed.

How'd that turn out?

I've got portal access, but I can't get either side to give me an API key for monitoring. Tesla said no, and SolarEdge said it's Tesla's responsibility to grant it. Getting close to just buying an RS485 -> Ethernet adapter and setting up my solution with Modbus locally.

Just a quick question for those who are familiar with the SolarEdge portal...

Speaking with SRECTrade about setting up automatic reporting, their customer service told me they need Tesla "to grant View/Edit access" to a particular SRECTrade email address. Does "View/Edit access" sound like what Tesla typically approves for SolarEdge portal access?

I put in a request for a monitoring account from Tesla, but it's taking a while after supervisor approval because my recently warranty-replaced inverter isn't showing up in their system yet. But am I right in guessing that once I'm granted access, I won't just be able to invite SRECTrade myself without further intervention from Tesla?

How'd that turn out?

I've got portal access, but I can't get either side to give me an API key for monitoring. Tesla said no, and SolarEdge said it's Tesla's responsibility to grant it. Getting close to just buying an RS485 -> Ethernet adapter and setting up my solution with Modbus locally.

Could you update us if you go the Modbus route? I'm in the same boat with not being able to get either side to help with an API Key, and pretty much stuck on what their options I have.

Could you update us if you go the Modbus route? I'm in the same boat with not being able to get either side to help with an API Key, and pretty much stuck on what their options I have.
I managed to sweet talk a SolarEdge rep into giving me one and it's "fine", but the refresh rate is a bit low so I might still take a crack at modbus in the springtime. Will happily post back here with results.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Has anyone tried refusing final payment until Tesla grants full and proper access to the solar edge account? I don’t understand how Tesla can lock you out of your own equipment...I will be having the API battles next month after inspection and PTO, etc. All I want is the ability to draw in my panel layout (I photocopied the map the installers made with the sticker QR codes...so I have the SNs and install map.). And I have a raspberry pi with touchscreen mounted above the powerwalls...was planning to use the solar edge API to populate some data there. It befuddles me that people are having so many issues with Tesla and solar edge regarding full access. I see a few lucky people get a nice solar edge agent to do their dirty work, but looks like most reps will not help. How does Tesla justify not giving customers access to their own equipment and data?

It seems to me that full access to my own equipment (including full solar edge account access) is a reasonable standard to require before making final payment. Tesla should to either provide the full access or perform the functions for which they don’t provide access (build the layout map and give me an api key.) Any reason not to try this?

Just make sure that Tesla has submitted the permit application under your name to your electric utility. If they haven't, and you don't make full payment, Tesla could choose not to submit the application. You'd then be in the twilight zone where you have everything in place but can't turn it on because you don't have electric utility approval.
When I signed my contract to purchase, I made sure the listing of payments stipulated that final payment was contingent on LADWP permit approval and Certificate of Compliance.
Having said that, I didn't have any issues, nor did I have to remind Tesla what final payment was contingent on. Tesla was very good about submitting everything they had to in a timely manner and then joining me in following up with LADWP until approval was received. I was happy to make the final payment.
Also, my access to the SolarEdge monitoring website came back on a while back (don't remember the exact date). Nothing was said by either Tesla or SolarEdge, access to data just "miraculously" appeared. I can only think that all the complaints that many customers had filed finally had an effect on Tesla's lethargy.

Just make sure that Tesla has submitted the permit application under your name to your electric utility. If they haven't, and you don't make full payment, Tesla could choose not to submit the application. You'd then be in the twilight zone where you have everything in place but can't turn it on because you don't have electric utility approval.
When I signed my contract to purchase, I made sure the listing of payments stipulated that final payment was contingent on LADWP permit approval and Certificate of Compliance.
Having said that, I didn't have any issues, nor did I have to remind Tesla what final payment was contingent on. Tesla was very good about submitting everything they had to in a timely manner and then joining me in following up with LADWP until approval was received. I was happy to make the final payment.
Also, my access to the SolarEdge monitoring website came back on a while back (don't remember the exact date). Nothing was said by either Tesla or SolarEdge, access to data just "miraculously" appeared. I can only think that all the complaints that many customers had filed finally had an effect on Tesla's lethargy.

Good point. It’s possible Tesla won’t submit the permission to operate until after payment. I am in a better position than most...my utility gave all customers smart meters, so mine is already two way capable and I have 3 powerwalls, so in theory, I could operate without pto and not export. I also have a smart meter monitor inside and I can see what the meter is reporting. During a test, the smart meter was showing negative amounts when exporting, but I don’t know what the power company would do with that info on an account without pto.

I will see what happens with Tesla’s standard process...if they submit the pto paperwork before final payment I might have some leverage.

My issue isn’t that the SolarEdge data isn’t available, it’s that Tesla doesn’t give api keys or allow access to setup a panel layout. They will give panel level access with a straight line column of panels out of order, but they won’t let you put in the panels in the proper layout. All installers except Tesla give you this access, so I’m not sure what Tesla is so worried about it.

Michael

All installers except Tesla give you this access, so I’m not sure what Tesla is so worried about it.

Same logic behind not allowing Apple CarPlay or Android Auto on their vehicles. Tesla doesn't want to put in the extra effort and expense necessary to integrate and maintain third-party services. In the case of SolarEdge, there probably are some additional server costs for Tesla to do all of the data-forwarding onto the SolarEdge servers.

@contactmike1: While I want to do so, since data to SolarEdge was turned on again I've not had the time to start mapping my system (I have 32 panels). Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a copy of the installers' map. (I don't even remember seeing one while monitoring the install.) My plan was to just create the map by blocking one panel at a time, watching which panel on the SolarEdge string went down, then assigning the S/N to that panel. I'm hoping I'll have time to do this around the end of the year (when I hope to be finished with my garage construction). BTW, really impressed with your system. I was only able to afford the 32 panels with one PowerWall. I now wish I'd installed a 2nd PowerWall.
As to why Tesla isn't providing the panel-detail data to SolarEdge, I wonder if it's because they don't want to be inundated with calls from customers complaining that one panel's output is "unexplainably" lower than others?

@contactmike1: While I want to do so, since data to SolarEdge was turned on again I've not had the time to start mapping my system (I have 32 panels). Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a copy of the installers' map. (I don't even remember seeing one while monitoring the install.) My plan was to just create the map by blocking one panel at a time, watching which panel on the SolarEdge string went down, then assigning the S/N to that panel. I'm hoping I'll have time to do this around the end of the year (when I hope to be finished with my garage construction). BTW, really impressed with your system. I was only able to afford the 32 panels with one PowerWall. I now wish I'd installed a 2nd PowerWall.
As to why Tesla isn't providing the panel-detail data to SolarEdge, I wonder if it's because they don't want to be inundated with calls from customers complaining that one panel's output is "unexplainably" lower than others?

Same logic behind not allowing Apple CarPlay or Android Auto on their vehicles. Tesla doesn't want to put in the extra effort and expense necessary to integrate and maintain third-party services. In the case of SolarEdge, there probably are some additional server costs for Tesla to do all of the data-forwarding onto the SolarEdge servers.
SolarEdge and the Tesla Energy Gateway have separate connections to the internet. No data forwarding seems to be required.

SolarEdge and the Tesla Energy Gateway have separate connections to the internet. No data forwarding seems to be required.

As setup by Tesla, the SolarEdge inverter achieves its connection back to SolarEdge via Tesla's servers. There was a period of several months in 2020 when Tesla decided not to forward the data to SolarEdge, and several folks here had to work-around getting the SolarEdge Monitoring Portal working by doing things like manually connecting the inverter to their router via ethernet to override the Zigbee connection to Tesla.

Here is what you have to do:

- Keep that ZigBee black box connected. That sends data to Tesla
- Call Tesla tech support, tell them you need a SolarEdge monitoring account setup and the tech guy will do it within 15 mins. Essentially they do is setup a System User account with Layout and they open the data gateway so they send what they get to SolarEdge.
- You cannot see historic data but going forward you can get your Tesla data on Tesla app and SolarEdge data on MySolaredge app
- Ask Tesla for the layout, I doubt they will give you
- From SolarEdge Website, you can get all serial numbers, and one by one I created my own spreadsheet but with a flat layout, one string having 12 and other string having 30 panels with optimizer.
-Come summer I will try finding the layout or get Tesla to give me and once I have it I can send to SolarEdge who can make the layout for me, or request a Layout admin access

PowerBlaster is a mess, they keep on saying to me also it was s special and no more etc etc. I am just tired of begging them, I will get another system and install it myself to get my grid data and someone suggested me the below for $150 on Amazon. Gives much more data than the PowerBlaster flat data.

HOW THE EMPORIA SMART ENERGY HOME SYSTEM WORKS

So it's official. Tesla will processes the interconnect before getting paid. My solar system was put in December 14th and 15th. Telsa refused to put in the powerwalls at that time, stating unforeseen improper house wiring, and required a new home improvement agreement to fix the wiring issues they found while installing. Signed new agreement, and they finished the install on February 1st and put in the powerwalls at that time. City inspection was February 26th. Tesla submitted the interconnect paperwork Feb 27th. The power company gave permission to operate March 1st.

Over all this time, Tesla never asked for payment. Their first payment request was yesterday, March 18th, and it was the generic letter that said they started my install and were requesting the 50% down payment. So it looks like the Tesla payment process lags weeks if not months behind the actual installs.

Just to give you guys an update on SolarEdge:

Requested solar edge access March 1st. It took 3 weeks and multiple follow up phone calls, but I finally got access today. After checking the access and complaining to Tesla that I don't have proper access, Tesla has given me the run-around on the physical layout, mapper access, and API key. Next, I called solar edge, they just gave me an API key over the telephone. However, for the physical layout, I got a very unexpected answer and hadn't seen this on the forum anywhere. Solar Edge claims ALL installers have access to systems, and I can simply call any solar installer who does solar edge inverters, give them the layout information, and they can input it on my account. I'm sure they will charge $$$ for it, but hey, if this works, it's a good workaround for folks who want the physical layout access without having to become their own installer and moving the install off Tesla's account first. I'm checking to see if any installers will actually do this. I'll see what they say, and if they would also have to move the install away from Tesla's account to do it, or what the deal is. But it's the first time I heard this answer.

I'm going to give it go. As for Tesla, I still haven't paid yet and haven't threatened anything about withholding payment. Tesla is so big, I'm not sure if trying to hold up the payment would give any leverage or not. Trying the easier road first.

Tip for anyone who has a future install. You must remember to get a copy of the installer's layout map and all the inverter QR codes before they leave! If you forget this step, there's very few viable options for getting a physical layout input into solar edge. The install guys think you are crazy when you ask for it, but just make a copy of it or take photos with your phone. They were happy to let me do so, although they couldn't understand why I'd possibly want that information.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric