Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: Road Noise & Front Wind Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Through the last few months, I have been watching and reading up the various posts regarding the many ways many of you all have attempted, as well as the various kits available online, to reduce if not eliminate road noise and wind noise from the Model3. After reviewing all those posts and review of the kits, I figured that since none of you have been able to achieve that elusive goal, let alone even come close to reducing the noise, made me ask the question: What are we missing?

So as I kept driving my M3, I attempted to focus on finding those missing sources ie where is the noise emanating into the cabin from. Turns out they are the 4 corners of the cabin ie the A-Pillars and C-pillars. More specifically, the A-Pillars for wind noise and C-Pillars for road noise.

#1 - The solution for wind noise is the following - Z Weatherstrip down inside the leading edge of the front door, and foam block at the top triangle where the front fender, windshield and door meet.

Z-Weatherstrip

FE752F27-DD36-4C76-975B-39D41FA43CDA.png

Foam at the junction
30509DB7-3101-4B73-A504-E35E4989A336.jpeg

#2 - The solution for road noise is the following - 2" Fiber insulation behind the rear seat side panels that cover the rear wheel wells.
6675D311-F79A-42AD-9928-77D6FA910EAA copy.jpg

F76F1B1B-0F3F-481F-B6A4-185039144B06 copy.jpg

I hope this helps everyone who have been pursuing this goal. Thanks for all the contributions and many thanks to @XPsionic for his constant engagement and interest.

my advice, M3 and MYs are amazingly better since Jan 2022, find via waitingforTesla a model you want, attempt to secure while the big state and fed tax credits are available, check out test.com/trade in for a 2018s worth, I just did 2x trade ins, non Ts, and the money given was generous
between the trade in and tax credits, there are big $$ to capture and get into a better build
I am in the M3RWD and its an amazing vehicle, quick, tight, light, fun
if you have to stay with your 2018, do these preventative steps

my advice, M3 and MYs are amazingly better since Jan 2022, find via waitingforTesla a model you want, attempt to secure while the big state and fed tax credits are available, check out test.com/trade in for a 2018s worth, I just did 2x trade ins, non Ts, and the money given was generous
between the trade in and tax credits, there are big $$ to capture and get into a better build

My neighbors 2023 is not any quieter....YMMV i guess.

It's very difficult to for internet forum users to come to a consensus on road noise, everyone has different expectations of how quiet a car could and should be, and their local road conditions and car build quality also varies. The 2021+ Model 3s have dual pane glass front windows, which is supposed to help, but back in the day when db was measured between the 2018-2020 vs 2021+, there really wasn't any noticeable measurable difference.

I haven't seen anyone posting pictures of 2021+ or 2023 cars having more sound insulation in the rear wheel arch area under the seats and panels, so if I were to guess, I don't think the new builds would be any quieter in terms of road and tire noise from the rear, and any year Model 3 would benefit from the modifications noted in this thread. Whether the mods are necessary, however, is totally up to personal taste and tolerances.

Would be happy to see pictures of 2023+ rear wheel arch areas to see if Tesla added more foam!

My neighbors 2023 is not any quieter....YMMV i guess.
It's probably all relative. Those of us that came from German luxury cars are finding the model 3 to be quite loud for a "luxury" car while those coming from commuter cars are finding it much quieter.

My 2019 is definitely much louder at 80mph than my 2008 5 series. The frameless windows likely contribute to the noise alot and the lack of fiber wool insulation.

Either way it is a bit silly that we have to do all this to make our cars have good NVH characteristics, hope Tesla engineers are paying attention to this thread and try to implement the solutions. They make healthy margins on these cars, a couple sq ft of foam, fiber wool and z seals should only increase the cost per unit by a few dollars but would be a huge benefit to the customer.

It's probably all relative. Those of us that came from German luxury cars are finding the model 3 to be quite loud for a "luxury" car while those coming from commuter cars are finding it much quieter.

My 2019 is definitely much louder at 80mph than my 2008 5 series. The frameless windows likely contribute to the noise alot and the lack of fiber wool insulation.

Either way it is a bit silly that we have to do all this to make our cars have good NVH characteristics, hope Tesla engineers are paying attention to this thread and try to implement the solutions. They make healthy margins on these cars, a couple sq ft of foam, fiber wool and z seals should only increase the cost per unit by a few dollars but would be a huge benefit to the customer.

Yeah my previous 2x BMW 3 series were also quieter on the highway than the Model 3. The Model S is also quiet a bit more hushed. Another big contributor to noise is the vast glass roofs in the Model 3, it adds a lot of harsh reverb to the cabin. I think Tesla knows exactly what could be done to reduce noise (as seen in Model S) but chooses not to for cost reasons. It's not only material cost, but time and manpower required to install and fit more foam bits, and as we all know Tesla's all about efficient production.

I put in the regular additional door sound and weather stripping in my 2018 M3 about four years ago. It made quite a difference at highway speeds, I think it brought it down about 4-5 db when I measured it. (I’ll look for the results)

I think I’m going to have to try to add the A pillar foam and the rear seat / wheel well foam to see if I can close out a tiny annoying right rear hum that has annoyed me when traveling at 80+ on highways.

Also, anyone know how to maybe get front headlamp clusters to be flush? I know the original 2018 had this issue, where there is a 1/4+ inch of the lower leading edge that is raised up from the front bumper/fender. I’m sure I’m still getting some wind noise at speed from that.

I’d be up to crowd source funds for a willing participant to do a DIY video of this when installing the free supplIes. ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: enemji and XPsionic

For a variety of reasons I will never buy another Tesla. I’d like to make the wind and road noise tolerable until I can unload this car.

Reactions: Turknhoff
Glad you made a thread with the solution, hopefully people searching with the right keywords will come across this and find it useful! Much easier than digging through 10 pages of discussions.

I just want to add that the foam used in #1 is Siless liner 157 4mm thickness dense closed cell PE foam, 18 sq ft should be enough. And for #2 the material used is Kaowool ceramic fiber fire insulation 1"x16"x48", cut to required size.

@XPsionic @enemji Did you use just one layer of the 4mm PE foam? Or a few layers attached to each other.

Last edited:
Wow, this really looks great. I'm going to try it, however, being an audio guy with a dB meter, I will be taking measurements before and after to help quantify the actual results. Can you please provide an Amazon link to the rubber you placed on the A pillar? It looks like a great match to the stock rubber on the door.

SHENGYAWAUTO Z-Shape Window Door Rubber Seal Strip Hollow Weatherstrip for Car​

Siless Liner 157 (4 mm) mil 36 sqft Car Sound Deadening Closed Cell Foam & Heat Insulation mat - PE Foam​

Last edited:
Yeah my previous 2x BMW 3 series were also quieter on the highway than the Model 3. The Model S is also quiet a bit more hushed. Another big contributor to noise is the vast glass roofs in the Model 3, it adds a lot of harsh reverb to the cabin. I think Tesla knows exactly what could be done to reduce noise (as seen in Model S) but chooses not to for cost reasons. It's not only material cost, but time and manpower required to install and fit more foam bits, and as we all know Tesla's all about efficient production.
Exactly, not rocket science either 🤷🏽‍♂️

The glass is not the source but seems like one because of the noise bouncing. Cut the source noise and glass is quiet

Wow, this really looks great. I'm going to try it, however, being an audio guy with a dB meter, I will be taking measurements before and after to help quantify the actual results. Can you please provide an Amazon link to the rubber you placed on the A pillar? It looks like a great match to the stock rubber on the door.
Decibels is only one side of the story.

There are sounds that are actually pleasing to the humans and that is where my efforts were, and I was lucky to be be able to achieve that goal of not making it quiet as a ⚰️ coffin, but enjoyable to drive with none of the annoying noises. So yes, one may look at decibels and say “noisy” but that is what sets the pros from the amateurs apart :)

What I can confirm is that my Tesla M3 LR is now as enjoyable as a Mercedes sports car which is what I have been enjoying thus so far.

#elonmusk - are you listening?

• Funny
Reactions: Abraham and zoppp