Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some 2022 Model Ys shipping with MCU3 (AMD Ryzen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has to do with future proofing. Notice how top of the line model S/X from 2020 and before did not get much of the latest Christmas software update. Id be mad if my 2 year old car was suddenly considered “legacy”
Thats one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is that tesla is training us to upgrade cars every year like cell phones...

I haven't seen anyone confirm a significant difference between the old cpu and the new one. It just looks to me like people are fixated on having the latest and greatest without even having tangible reasons for the new tech

• Disagree
Reactions: Krash
Thats one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is that tesla is training us to upgrade cars every year like cell phones...

I haven't seen anyone confirm a significant difference between the old cpu and the new one. It just looks to me like people are fixated on having the latest and greatest without even having tangible reasons for the new tech
Sure but it is not far fetched to think the Ryzen CPUs will last longer than 2 years, while the Atom processors probably got 2 years top left in them for any meaningful software updates. For people who keep their cars longer than 5 years i can see how this is an issue. My 2018 Model X was the 2nd most expensive tesla sold in 2018 and yet 2.5 years later i dont get any meaningful software features everyone else is getting with cars that cost 1/3rd the price

Sure but it is not far fetched to think the Ryzen CPUs will last longer than 2 years, while the Atom processors probably got 2 years top left in them for any meaningful software updates. For people who keep their cars longer than 5 years i can see how this is an issue. My 2018 Model X was the 2nd most expensive tesla sold in 2018 and yet 2.5 years later i dont get any meaningful software features everyone else is getting with cars that cost 1/3rd the price
Was the X MCU 1 or 2? IIRC, MCU2 was introduced March 2018. Our 2019 Raven S was MCU2 and still received regular updates up until it was sold 9 months ago.

I agree Atom will eventually become obsolete but I don’t think the pace of obsolescence will be as quick as 4-5 years ago when Tesla was innovating at a blistering rate. Right now we’re seeing a lot of refinement of what’s already there rather than significant new features that require new hardware, such as when they went to AP 1/2/2.5/3/FSD, Sentry Mode, Theater Mode, etc.

Atom will continue to serve current owners fine for longer than feared. We love the Y in its current form and would not be bothered it if suddenly stopped getting updates today (actually, my wife would probably prefer if we stopped accepting updates as she doesn’t always like the changes). Sure, 4680 is coming but that’s a much bigger change than Atom/Ryzen. The current Y is a great EV today and will continue to be for many years to come.

As an aside, similar thing is happening in the smartphone space. I used to upgrade every year but now the improvements are incremental and slight with each new edition and I’ll probably hold onto my iPhone for much longer than before. I say probably because we don’t yet know what Apple’s supposed subscription model will look like, but in terms of specs my old iPhone is still perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carlitos
Was the X MCU 1 or 2? IIRC, MCU2 was introduced March 2018. Our 2019 Raven S was MCU2 and still received regular updates up until it was sold 9 months ago.

I agree Atom will eventually become obsolete but I don’t think the pace of obsolescence will be as quick as 4-5 years ago when Tesla was innovating at a blistering rate. Right now we’re seeing a lot of refinement of what’s already there rather than significant new features that require new hardware, such as when they went to AP 1/2/2.5/3/FSD, Sentry Mode, Theater Mode, etc.

Atom will continue to serve current owners fine for longer than feared. We love the Y in its current form and would not be bothered it if suddenly stopped getting updates today (actually, my wife would probably prefer if we stopped accepting updates as she doesn’t always like the changes). Sure, 4680 is coming but that’s a much bigger change than Atom/Ryzen. The current Y is a great EV today and will continue to be for many years to come.

As an aside, similar thing is happening in the smartphone space. I used to upgrade every year but now the improvements are incremental and slight with each new edition and I’ll probably hold onto my iPhone for much longer than before. I say probably because we don’t yet know what Apple’s supposed subscription model will look like, but in terms of specs my old iPhone is still perfectly fine.

I have MCU2. Didn’t realize it only came out in march 2018. So for basically only 2-3 years tops could Top of the line Teslas from that era qualify for every software update. Kinda sad.

I have MCU2. Didn’t realize it only came out in march 2018. So for basically only 2-3 years tops could Top of the line Teslas from that era qualify for every software update. Kinda sad.
I hear ya, but MCU2 from 2018 has been stable for four years so far across the Tesla lineup. If Atom continues to be supported another two years then MCU2 will have had a service life of six years, which isn't bad.

Tesla was changing up a lot more things five years ago than they are now. I mean, the S didn't even have rear cup holders until mid-2016! Then there was the facelift. Then they went through like four generations of seat designs too, not to mention they used to have the option of a solid metal roof and non-air suspension. Also the Autopilot 3 and Raven update for S/X in 2019. There was a lot more activity from 2016-2019 on the S/X designs compared to development of the 3/Y today.

One can say the Y has also gone through lots of changes too with the double-paned glass, HEPA, loss of radar/lumbar, etc but it isn't to the same degree as changes to the top line S/X years ago. Tesla took what they learned from S/X and trickled down to more mature designs with the 3/Y. And being stuck with MCU2 with Atom today isn't nearly as bad as an MCU1 Model S.

Last edited:
hi guys i’m new here, but i read through every comment of all 63 pages so i know everything kinda 😂 took 4 hours… BUT i get my model Y 2022 in 2 HOURS!! confirmed it has ALL the new features- wipers/12v/ALL DUAL PANE windows/ heated steering wheel/AMD - so happy!! got gray with white seats and black rims, with TOW package.
Congrats! Enjoy and drive it in good health. I am sure it was worth the wait. :)

I’m excited I’m finally getting mine on Wednesday as long as my check from penfed gets here! F411676 is the last of my vin and the rep said amd and 15 volt confirmed. Have we heard anything about the rear parcel shelf and updated door cards for the USA?

hi guys i’m new here, but i read through every comment of all 63 pages so i know everything kinda 😂 took 4 hours… BUT i get my model Y 2022 in 2 HOURS!! confirmed it has ALL the new features- wipers/12v/ALL DUAL PANE windows/ heated steering wheel/AMD - so happy!! got gray with white seats and black rims, with TOW package.
Are new (or recent) Model Ys getting delivered with both front and rear dual pane windows?

Bring pictures of your rear door dual pane glass. I haven't yet seen that except for MIC model Ys

Nope single in the back. No mudflap and no ppf
Thanks. I was just told by somebody from my delivery team that my F406xxx VIN car has single glass in the back also and that we don't have dual in the states yet.

Interesting. Please see the note above RE: dual pane glass in the back on my incoming MYP. Please share the 3 digits of your VIN after the letter F, if you can. Also, would be great if you can confirm whether you truly have dual pane glass in the back after you take delivery.

image.jpg

Reactions: Carlitos