Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some 2022 Model Ys shipping with MCU3 (AMD Ryzen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 12V battery cost is too significant to replace? If $200 every 4 years is too much, you shouldn't be buying a $60,000 vehicle. You do realize you will replace tires at $1000 a set more often than the 12V battery right? And as far as the heated wiper area, there is no retrofit and wont be one so you can factor in a cost of $0 on that. And the only way it is helpful is if you can't use the windshield defroster. It blows hot air at the same area. It may take a bit longer but it will still do the job.

Tesla sold over 300,000 MY with intel CPU and probably 1 million M3 worldwide, if there were major issues, you'd be hearing all sorts of stories about needing it to be replaced. If you want it to be more responsive while gaming and watching netflix, you aren't using the car as intended. It's a car. These are all gimmicks that you can't use while driving.
For now...There aren't any issues with the intel for now...what do MCU1 users think? So yes, today it might just be speed...in a few years it might be a feature or function that can't be supported. I don't think you'd have anyone say they'd prefer the older MCU..I don't think anyone that was given that question would say they prefer the older MCU...they're taking it either because they don't know or they would much rather just get the car itself....

But sounds like to me your rationalizing what you have to users that might have something a bit better...What would be your preference? And if given a choice, what would you pick? Either way, people need to decide what that 250 is worth...or if ordered earlier, what the uplift in price is worth....but I don't think there is a question on whether it is better...

For now...There aren't any issues with the intel for now...what do MCU1 users think? So yes, today it might just be speed...in a few years it might be a feature or function that can't be supported. I don't think you'd have anyone say they'd prefer the older MCU..I don't think anyone that was given that question would say they prefer the older MCU...they're taking it either because they don't know or they would much rather just get the car itself....

But sounds like to me your rationalizing what you have to users that might have something a bit better...What would be your preference? And if given a choice, what would you pick? Either way, people need to decide what that 250 is worth...or if ordered earlier, what the uplift in price is worth....but I don't think there is a question on whether it is better...
My opinion is based on what's in my signature. 2021 SR MY and 2022 LR MY (and owning a 2020 SR+ M3 prior). I regularly switch between driving my car and my wife's. For 95% of the people who buy a Tesla, there is no difference. If you are spending $60,000 to have a mobile video game platform, I believe that is the wrong reason to buy a Tesla. And Tesla shouldn't allow you to switch cars based on something that they don't think has a problem. If it was a problem, they would be offering retrofits for 1 million cars.

I accepted delivery of an Intel car today. I am not a gamer. I realize that the visualizations might have been better. Would I like that? Yeah. Does it matter very much? Not where I live and not with what I do. On the way home sometimes it saw the snowbanks on the side of the road and pictured them as traffic cones.
Lithium 12 volt: would have been happy with it but could live without. Heated wiper park? Would have loved it but not a deal breaker.

Besides, I am of the sort that in 2-3 years if there's a significantly better car I'll trade up.

Only slightly disappointed but really happy to have the car.

I accepted delivery of an Intel car today. I am not a gamer. I realize that the visualizations might have been better. Would I like that? Yeah. Does it matter very much? Not where I live and not with what I do. On the way home sometimes it saw the snowbanks on the side of the road and pictured them as traffic cones.
Lithium 12 volt: would have been happy with it but could live without. Heated wiper park? Would have loved it but not a deal breaker.

Besides, I am of the sort that in 2-3 years if there's a significantly better car I'll trade up.

Only slightly disappointed but really happy to have the car.
The cpu has nothing to do with how it processes images, that's the software. You would have seen the traffic cones with AMD or Intel.

The heated wiper park is something you may have. Its part of the windshield assembly so not easy to swap out and not tied to Intel vs AMD. Open your frunk and stick your phone camera in by the passenger side hinge and take a picture toward the bottom of the windshield. If you see 3 pucked shaped objects you have heated wiper park. If your car doesnt have 2022 software, it won't be able to be activated until you download that software, probably 3+ weeks from delivery before your first update.

Same for 12V battery. Doesn't seem like they would swap day to day unless they found some old ones laying around. The CPU is a simple part swap, the battery and wiper heaters would require a different wiring harness. Battery is harder to get a picture of but can be done without removing or you can get a simple multimeter or some usb adapters have voltage displays now.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Fwiw I canceled my MYP - going for the CT quad plaid instead when it comes out (reservation holder since Dec 2019). Sorry I couldn't join you guys but its pretty F'd me getting an older battery, processor, and no windshield wipers (and what were the chances I caught that window of bad 380 VINs wow)

Fwiw I canceled my MYP - going for the CT quad plaid instead when it comes out (reservation holder since Dec 2019). Sorry I couldn't join you guys but its pretty F'd me getting an older battery, processor, and no windshield wipers (and what were the chances I caught that window of bad 380 VINs wow)
There's no way of knowing the battery until you get the car. And I havent heard that heated wipers are part of the information SAs have access to. But, good luck on the CT plaid, it'll be the last one built and first model canceled. Look what happened to the Plaid+ MS.

Reactions: DrGriz
The cpu has nothing to do with how it processes images, that's the software. You would have seen the traffic cones with AMD or Intel.

The heated wiper park is something you may have. Its part of the windshield assembly so not easy to swap out and not tied to Intel vs AMD. Open your frunk and stick your phone camera in by the passenger side hinge and take a picture toward the bottom of the windshield. If you see 3 pucked shaped objects you have heated wiper park. If your car doesnt have 2022 software, it won't be able to be activated until you download that software, probably 3+ weeks from delivery before your first update.

Same for 12V battery. Doesn't seem like they would swap day to day unless they found some old ones laying around. The CPU is a simple part swap, the battery and wiper heaters would require a different wiring harness. Battery is harder to get a picture of but can be done without removing or you can get a simple multimeter or some usb adapters have voltage displays now.
Thanks, I do realize that the software processing is the same, just the visualizations might be delayed/affected. I absolutely agree that the snow berms would have shown up the same.
I will double check on the wiper tray heater harness. I didn't look for that or at the battery as we were concerned about other things. There was no control for the wiper park, although maybe that shows up when the software updates filter in. I haven't heard of anyone in this situation who got the Intel Atom during the switchback who said that they got the Li 12 or the wiper heater. Most of that discussion is in the MYP thread and I only skimmed the drama. I'll check back with certain info.

🍻

Thanks, I do realize that the software processing is the same, just the visualizations might be delayed/affected. I absolutely agree that the snow berms would have shown up the same.
I will double check on the wiper tray heater harness. I didn't look for that or at the battery as we were concerned about other things. There was no control for the wiper park, although maybe that shows up when the software updates filter in. I haven't heard of anyone in this situation who got the Intel Atom during the switchback who said that they got the Li 12 or the wiper heater. Most of that discussion is in the MYP thread and I only skimmed the drama. I'll check back with certain info.

🍻
I think since the switch happened at the same time, people assumed they were all tied together. And yes, if you have any 2021 software version, you will not have the heated wiper button in the HVAC control screen until your car updates to 2022.4.5.

Reactions: DrGriz
The 12V battery cost is too significant to replace? If $200 every 4 years is too much, you shouldn't be buying a $60,000 vehicle. You do realize you will replace tires at $1000 a set more often than the 12V battery right? And as far as the heated wiper area, there is no retrofit and wont be one so you can factor in a cost of $0 on that. And the only way it is helpful is if you can't use the windshield defroster. It blows hot air at the same area. It may take a bit longer but it will still do the job.

Tesla sold over 300,000 MY with intel CPU and probably 1 million M3 worldwide, if there were major issues, you'd be hearing all sorts of stories about needing it to be replaced. If you want it to be more responsive while gaming and watching netflix, you aren't using the car as intended. It's a car. These are all gimmicks that you can't use while driving.
No reason to take it that personally. Different strokes for different folks. It's totally reasonable for someone to not want to drop $60K+ for an imminent upgrade that matters to them and is already widely available to most new customers receiving cars today. It is also totally reasonable for others (like some on this thread) to be somewhat disappointed but okay with it because it doesn't matter to them in the grand scheme of things. No one is more right in this situation. Everyone is doing what they see fit and it really isn't productive to make this into some black and white issue.

I look at it this way. Having the Intel chip, I get an extra 7 miles of range (per week?)! :p
Pretty sure the whole extra range due to the chip thing was debunked and was shoddy journalism and nothing more. You can do a back of the envelope calculation just using the AMD chip's rated power consumption, and even if you assume it running at max power (which is very unreasonable), the net impact on range would be pretty minuscule. All that being said, it's not like Tesla isn't going to support 99+% of their fleet over the next 10 years or more just because they've introduced an upgrade. So it's fine either ways, just that Intel chip based cars may not have as responsive a UI or have some limitations in the UI/UX in the future, but they're still going to have a more than capable car.

Reactions: Suns and DrGriz
Pretty sure the whole extra range due to the chip thing was debunked and was shoddy journalism and nothing more. You can do a back of the envelope calculation just using the AMD chip's rated power consumption, and even if you assume it running at max power (which is very unreasonable), the net impact on range would be pretty minuscule. All that being said, it's not like Tesla isn't going to support 99+% of their fleet over the next 10 years or more just because they've introduced an upgrade. So it's fine either ways, just that Intel chip based cars may not have as responsive a UI or have some limitations in the UI/UX in the future, but they're still going to have a more than capable car.
For reasons that make little arithmetical sense to me, Tesla certainly did have to decrease their range estimates in countries where their MIC cars are sold following the swap to AMD, as I understand it. But not here. I am not disagreeing with you. Hence my denominator of "per week".

My opinion is based on what's in my signature. 2021 SR MY and 2022 LR MY (and owning a 2020 SR+ M3 prior). I regularly switch between driving my car and my wife's. For 95% of the people who buy a Tesla, there is no difference. If you are spending $60,000 to have a mobile video game platform, I believe that is the wrong reason to buy a Tesla. And Tesla shouldn't allow you to switch cars based on something that they don't think has a problem. If it was a problem, they would be offering retrofits for 1 million cars.
Again, for NOW there isn't a difference. What features will they have down the line? What requirements will new software have MCU wise? You don't know..none of us do.

And frankly, it is their money, they can decide how they want to spend it...and just because 95%+ of people don't know there is a difference shouldn't mean the other 5% shouldn't care...given how little customization there is for these cars, simply give it to the 95% that doesn't know/care.

You didn't even answer the question..if you got to pick what would you pick?

For reasons that make little arithmetical sense to me, Tesla certainly did have to decrease their range estimates in countries where their MIC cars are sold following the swap to AMD, as I understand it. But not here. I am not disagreeing with you. Hence my denominator of "per week".
Tesla will list what EPA says. EPA will not re-certify a car just because cpu changed.

And the hilarious thing is that all these smarty pants think they know more than Tesla whom ordered a couple custom SOC made to order from AMD. And did not think that Tesla did not already figure out what their performance metrics or power consumption parameters, leakage, perf per watt, etc etc needed to be at. It's comical.

And the hilarious thing is that all these smarty pants think they know more than Tesla whom ordered a couple custom SOC made to order from AMD. And did not think that Tesla did not already figure out what their performance metrics or power consumption parameters, leakage, perf per watt, etc etc needed to be at. It's comical.
To be fair, Tesla did themselves no favors by actually releasing a notification on cars in some countries that seemed to indicate that the chip was in fact to blame for the change in original rated range. What was hilarious though is that one of the cars (I forget if it was the Y or the 3) ended up getting a higher range than before but with the same messaging in the software notification. But the blog author (ahem "journalist") didn't stop to think why Tesla's claims seemed to indicate that 2 + 2 = 5, and they just ran with their article and then that took a life of its own.

I respectfully disagree. I don’t get your point about the Intel. Until 2018 Tesla sold only Tegra. Would you buy Y with Tegra today? Why would you pay the same price for a phased out component or product.

The guy who rejects the one with Intel is absolutely justified to do so and should do that. I would do the same.

I respectfully disagree. I don’t get your point about the Intel. Until 2018 Tesla sold only Tegra. Would you buy Y with Tegra today? Why would you pay the same price for a phased out component or product.

The guy who rejects the one with Intel is absolutely justified to do so and should do that. I would do the same.
Exactly....Ask the MCU1 people if they think it is still fine.

Such short term thinking....