Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some exciting observations about the new Model S60 (software limited 75 kWh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

privater

2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner
Jun 22, 2016
CA
Hi, I'm on my new Model S 60 for 4 days, and I've noticed some good bits about this new Model s60:

1. You can safely charge to 100% all the time, that confirmation is from the orientation session with Tesla technician.
That means for daily usage, normal Tesla car's follow a guideline of charge around 80-90% percentage for battery longevity. This won't pose such problem on new S60. because a full charge on new S60 is only 80% of full battery, that's exactly the same percentage follow Tesla's longevity recommendation.

For daily charge considering battery longevity range comparison:
S90 is charged with 80%-90% limit only provides 72 kWh - 81 kWh range.
old S70 is charged with 80%-90% limit only provides 56 kWh - 63 kWh range.
new S60 can always give you a full 60 kWh range.

2. I went to Supercharger twice, a documented charging time shows:

went with 16 Mi left, shared a superchager port with another Model X:

DSCF2916.jpg

It started charging from 6:30pm, and fully charged on 7:29pm, so I'd say 1 hour is almost enough to get a full charge on S60, and 40 min will give you 80% for sure.

Tesla do need to update their app though, it still shows 1 hour and 40 minutes for full charge. on car it shows 1 hour and 20 minutes.

The amperage I see is varies from 180a to 244a which is lot better than old s60 which cap around 170a

IMG_0220.PNG IMG_0224.PNG IMG_0226.PNG IMG_0229.PNG IMG_0231.PNG

So, it's a big plus for this new 75 kWh disguised 60: the charge time is matching with 90 kWh version.

Reading from previous report: Supercharging Tesla Model S 60 kWh Versus 85 kWh - Video + Graphs

The old S60 is a lot slower. The new S60 battery is smaller but will get your cars full charge quicker. S90 does come with bigger battery, but it will need 1 hour and half to get a fully charge, and you can drive to your next supercharger half hour faster, so no time lose here.

3. It shows 60 kWh in all places in car, but you can access unlock 75 kWh online in Tesla website if you need and have money to spare later:

Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 10.58.53 AM.png

4, I haven't tried wall charger yet, but 48a in a single charger configuration is well suited for the S60, you don't really need a dual charger 72a upgrade for it. for comparison, the old charger is 40a, and dual charger provides up to 80a it's already fast enough with single charger.

Hope this can help you to decide~

Last edited:
I picked up my new 60 last Wednesday and drove from Massachusetts to New York this weekend. At one of the Superchargers I saw over 300 mph charge at over 260A. Off the Merritt it was about 220 mph with amps the same. Was significantly slower when charging next to another (A/B).

• Informative
Reactions: privater
Presumably had you not been sharing the SpC (*) your SpC time would have been significantly less?

(*) -- what, you have more than one or two cars at a time using your SpCs there in CA? ;)

Yeah, CA is a crowded place, I have to wait in queue for others to leave to get a charge:
waited 10 minutes for my turn... can't imagine what will happen when Model 3 start ramp up production.

DSCF2891.jpg

I picked up my new 60 last Wednesday and drove from Massachusetts to New York this weekend. At one of the Superchargers I saw over 300 mph charge at over 260A. Off the Merritt it was about 220 mph with amps the same. Was significantly slower when charging next to another (A/B).

260A, That's amazing... Thanks for sharing~

Mountain View Supercharger? Lots of "locals" sucking up "free" electricity saving a couple of bucks... :( I try to avoid that location if I can.

yup, it's in MT view

I agree... but that's Tesla's problem, right? unless the supercharge 'pay once and free for all' business model drastically changed, people line up in Costco waiting for 30 min to save $5 in gas too.

A bit confused here. Your picture shows charging at 52.4kw (177A x 296V). That's slow. That indicates your charging sessions was sharing power with another charging Tesla. Your car should charge much faster than that at such a low SOC (State of charge).
I would expect shorter than an hour to go from ~8% to 100%. That's about what it takes for my old slow 60. Your screen grabs from your phone show that you were likely not getting a full rate from supercharger earlier in the charge. I think you will find your car can do better.

Also the original S60 can get up to at least 325 amps during charging(~105kw).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: privater
A bit confused here. Your picture shows charging at 52.4kw (177A x 296V). That's slow. That indicates your charging sessions was sharing power with another charging Tesla. Your car should charge much faster than that at such a low SOC (State of charge).
I would expect shorter than an hour to go from ~8% to 100%. That's about what it takes for my old slow 60. Your screen grabs from your phone show that you were likely not getting a full rate from supercharger earlier in the charge. I think you will find your car can do better.

Thanks for sharing the information~ I'll try a vacancy supercharger site when possible and redo the test.
At least I know in the worst case scenario, new S 60 could make full charge within an hour even with ports shared with another Tesla.

Thanks for sharing the information~ I'll try a vacancy supercharger site when possible and redo the test.
At least I know in the worst case scenario, new S 60 could make full charge within an hour even with ports shared with another Tesla.

:) It would be nice to see a whole video of the new S60 doing a supercharge session under ideal conditions (Not too hot, not too cold, and not sharing power with another charging car, etc.) Time accelerated would be preffered. That would be a good way to track the charge taper through the full charge. I am really curious to see how many kw it is still pulling at the end of the charge.

Kman (a.k.a. islandbayy, a.k.a Chris A.) does a lot of those types of videos. You might get a jump on him if you post it sooner.