Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Somebody upgrade MCU2 and lost free premium connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the MCU1 recall done in Indianapolis. The Tesla service guy was explaining the pros and cons of the MCU2 upgrade. He told me I would lose premium connectivity and have to pay monthly if I did the upgrade. I opted to not to so I can’t confirm or deny if it does in fact strip your premium connectivity but I can confirm this information is coming from Tesla.
That is a lie. The Tesla service people know less than people on these forums.

I went in 12-1-21 to get my MCU1 recall done. Tesla Indianapolis was explaining the pros and cons of upgrading to MCU2. The service guy told me I would lose premium connectivity if I upgraded.
I had the upgrade done after my mcu1 packed it in July 2020, no loss of premium connectivity on my grandfathered 2015 MS 85D. There are no real cons to upgrading, unless you enjoy a slow processor. The mapping refresh rate was much better, and the rear camera brightness has been resolved in updates.

If the car passes through Tesla then it is likely that Premium connectivity was removed along with the removal of free supercharging.
That's pretty lame seeing as how their website still says any car prior to a certain year should have it. I don't have free supercharging so they probably removed both then I guess. I didn't get it directly from tesla I got it from another owner.

I feel you. I got my car as a lease return at about the same day they decided to removed Free Supercharging. I was pissed a first but later realized I rarely use it. 99% of my charging happens in my garage.

I was fortunate to keep free Premium Connectivity. The upgrade to MCU2 did not remove the free Premium Connectivity.

I feel you. I got my car as a lease return at about the same day they decided to removed Free Supercharging. I was pissed a first but later realized I rarely use it. 99% of my charging happens in my garage.

I was fortunate to keep free Premium Connectivity. The upgrade to MCU2 did not remove the free Premium Connectivity.
I wonder if I could still get the free premium connectivity even though I don't have free supercharging. Because the website says my car should. So maybe a tech can activate at least that portion again.

And yeah I'm not too upset about the charging. I did want it for free but it's still way cheaper to charge than buy gas and I'll only ever use supercharging for long trips anyway.