Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone hit my new P3D+ and drove off...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I'm just posting this here 'cause I can't sleep and need to vent...

I was driving home Sunday evening, going straight through an intersection, and some asshole makes a left turn, hitting my rear driver's side wheel, quarter panel, and bumper. My car takes the hit like a champ - I skid for a bit, ran over a small shrub in the center median, and was able to correct course and stop within a few hundred feet. I was fine, but pretty shaken up...surely the person that hit me was going to come and check on me, and give me their info, right?

Nope. A witness comes over and says that he saw the guy take off and turn down a side street, probably to hide.

Called the cops, and when the officer came out, said that without a plate # or a description of the person that hit me (it was dark, almost 8p), they likely weren't going to be able to find the perp.

FWIW, happened around 7:55p in Fountain Valley, CA. Corner of Euclid/Slater.

*sigh*

There goes my deductible, and a few months without my new car...

P.S. don't be like me and wait for the dash cam in v9.0.
+VJ7oJ+WSRK6nFYegfAa3g.jpg

I guess I'm just posting this here 'cause I can't sleep and need to vent...

I was driving home Sunday evening, going straight through an intersection, and some asshole makes a left turn, hitting my rear driver's side wheel, quarter panel, and bumper. My car takes the hit like a champ - I skid for a bit, ran over a small shrub in the center median, and was able to correct course and stop within a few hundred feet. I was fine, but pretty shaken up...surely the person that hit me was going to come and check on me, and give me their info, right?

Nope. A witness comes over and says that he saw the guy take off and turn down a side street, probably to hide.

Called the cops, and when the officer came out, said that without a plate # or a description of the person that hit me (it was dark, almost 8p), they likely weren't going to be able to find the perp.

FWIW, happened around 7:55p in Fountain Valley, CA. Corner of Euclid/Slater.

*sigh*

There goes my deductible, and a few months without my new car...

P.S. don't be like me and wait for the dash cam in v9.0. View attachment 333639

With this being an actual hit and run, you could contact Tesla to try and establish if the cameras were actually recording at the time of the incident, and if so ask if they could help extracting the footage.

Sorry for your hit and run.... that first ding on a car is painful enough.... but that's fairly serious damage.... wowsers.

I was hit and run at 2am by a drunk years ago... squarely rearended me knocking me and my date unconscious for a moment. I came to in time to see and hear him speed past on his escape. A passerby pulled along beside and pointed to get me to help chase. We surrounded him on the road... the passer by in front slowing and me side swiping him to push him off the road. He ended up jumping the curb and taking out a few hundred feet of the fence around Charleston Air Force Base.

Reactions: RBowen
Thats so unfortunate..hope karma gets that person. Anyway I had a Blackvue 2ch 4k installed and honestly you guys should too! Or something as good and clear as mine. I dont have any side cam installed but it looks great at day/night. Extra mind of security helps in situations like these.

Really sorry about your car. I can certainly imagine how you feel - but thankful it wasn't worse. If I might also say - love what you did with your rims - were they powdercoated? Is it a black or the tesla gunmetal colour?

*edit - nm - saw your post on your powdercoating - got the answers!

I hope the repair turnaround is MUCH less than what you are expecting.

Last edited:
With this being an actual hit and run, you could contact Tesla to try and establish if the cameras were actually recording at the time of the incident, and if so ask if they could help extracting the footage.

If you go this route, please update us. It would be nice to know if Tesla is willing to do this for these type of situations.
I don't see why they wouldn't.

I've posted this advice elsewhere but if there's going to a lengthy delay obtaining parts, you may want to pressure the insurance company into paying the body shop to reassemble the car after performing the initial damage estimate and letting you drive the car while parts are on order. If you are persistent, and can reach a person with the authority to make the decision and the brain power to understand the concept, you can convince them that paying the body shop a couple of hours labor to reassemble the car for you to drive and then disassemble the car again when the parts come in is way cheaper than paying for a rental car (and your gasoline) for three months or more.

And after the repairs are completed to your satisfaction, you may want to then make a diminished value claim. Making noises about it now is unproductive and could put the insurance company on the defensive from the onset.

Oh gosh, that's terrible.....dash cam looks very important...

If the person who hit him is an uninsured motorist the dash cam won't do much... he will still end up having to go through his own insurance and watch the resultant rate increase from a multi-thousand dollar repair going onto his policy.

This just happened to us recently. Unfortunately there are loads of irresponsible people driving around without insurance and some even without licensing. Often times when they are "caught" it's a slap on the wrist.

Given angle of hit even a 2ch BVue would probably miss capturing you would probably need 4ch setup ..hopefully Tesla can get car sidecam footage ..

Since Elon has insisted they are working on some kind of dash cam as a service feature I'm probably not going to spring for a dash cam out of the gate. If they don't have something available in six months I will probably break down and get a dash cam.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Since Elon has insisted they are working on some kind of dash cam as a service feature I'm probably not going to spring for a dash cam out of the gate. If they don't have something available in six months I will probably break down and get a dash cam.

I doubt Tesla's cam quality would be to the same level as an aftermarket solution. They're not going to be storing the same level of detail (memory capacity wise) not to mention the Tesla cameras are grayscale.

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
I doubt Tesla's cam quality would be to the same level as an aftermarket solution. They're not going to be storing the same level of detail (memory capacity wise) not to mention the Tesla cameras are grayscale.

I didn't make the argument that Tesla's solution would be on par with a good aftermarket solution.

My argument is I don't want to spend $400 on a decent dash cam plus another $400 to get it installed by someone competent who won't burn my car down trying to put it in.

Reactions: P85_DA