Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to convince you...why would I bother trying to do that? That would be like trying to convince my old Dad to carry a smartphone! Waste of time! I care not one jot if you like v11 or not! All I care about is that I like it along with, until we hear otherwise, many others. That seems to oddly stick in your craw?

There's always the chance that dissatisfied people are the most vocal, but it's more than just a few people not happy with the update. A quick Google shows a pretty extensive Reddit of folks that also are less than thrilled with it.

1642642272757.png

A thousand out of what, six hundred thousand? I'd take that as a resounding win for v11. I'd wager there is a sliding scale from the "I have a deep seated need to see seat heaters, I hate Tesla now" to "I wish they would put the cards back but hey-ho". Time will soften them I have no doubt.

Also makes me laugh that people whine so much about taking their eyes off the road for 50 milliseconds and the danger that ensues, yet front and center here is reading text messages on the screen! LOL..."I want to drive a car, not have my car be an iPad" LOLOL

"Despite the v10 learning curve, these frustrated owners knew the myriad shortcuts of the old system. Learnability becomes less important to users the more they use something. Instead, these drivers cared about Ergonomics — the long-term day-to-day efficiency and comfort of their environment."

Here he's talking about users of the old UI. I didn't mean old as in age if that's what you're thinking (my fault for not being clearer). I meant existing users.
yes, that's what I meant, too - "angering the old" i.e. existing users.

The author of the article basically said the new UI was easier to learn but the old UI was better to use and he hoped the programmers would learn some lessons.

FWIW, there were a few quirks with V10 but I never found it difficult to learn. I had a 5 minute lesson from the woman at the dealership standing outside the car (it was delivered July, 2020, so everyone was staying as far away as possible) and I figured the majority of items out from there with little difficulty. I've learned V11, too I just find it significantly worse to use than V11 for the majority of tasks that changed.

It could be they were overconfident with their new configuration. Or they are gauging feedback. Either way, like you said, they could easily add new apps that'll make people happy.

It's completely baffling to me why they didn't do this in the first place. They took away heavily used functions and provided a 'customizable app tray' but completely neglected to put the removed features as options. I've said it a dozen times, but why the hell did they put games and they toy box as options but not seat heaters, wipers or the defroster?

Last edited:
Plenty of people have provided ample proof. At this point the burden is on you to support your delusion.
So things like 'my car is deadly without being able to see my seat heaters 24/7!' or 'I must have tire pressures only 1 click away or I risk death' ? Yeah ample proof they should be taken seriously. These kind of complaints fall away very quickly when most people actually realize they don't need these things all the time. As for my burden...it doesn't exist. I have v11 and am happy with it!

The issue is deeper than “it works for me” or “I don’t use those features anyway”.

If you check around, there is definitely more noise this time than the previous upgrades - here, and in the press, in general. If there are mass car sites that talk about it then it is in the mainstream. Whether there are more happy customers or more angry customers - we don’t know because we do not have a representative sample. And it does not matter anymore. The doubt is already out there.

There are well established design principles for systems UI and they violated them (assuming a human driver; it is a different story for fully automated system). There is a reason why everyone else, including those with touchscreen interface, have the driver controls easily accessible. Sometimes ignoring established practice is genius; in most cases it is dumb. It is puzzling why they prioritized the entertainment controls over driver controls. 90% or the complains would have been resolved with the ability to add driver controls to the app tray. In fact, I think that would have had a super positive reaction across the board.

I can think of two reasons:

1. sloppy work, deadline pressure, releasing a half-baked product. They have a well established track record there, so it is possible. In that case, they will fix those issues in a relatively short period of time and we all be (almost) happy. However, the question of sloppy QA remains. At some point they will mess up something more important (heat pump?)

2. This is part of an “automation” trend and (from my perspective) things will only get worse from now on. Not sure if Elon’s words were taken out of context but Tesla has an established track record of “my way or high way”. This is probably a virtue in a startup; definitely a problem at their maturity level. They may be very advanced as technology but there are 10k lb gorillas out there and they know how to produce high quality, luxury cars and not to alienate whole segments of customers.

Automotive manufacturing at scale is a cut throat business and even small mistakes are punished. Once the big guys unlock the range, efficiency and charging, Tesla will have a very, very tough time unless they get their act together. Don’t forget that the mass consumer buys Toyota, Honda, Kia, etc. and they issue a higher quality product than Tesla and have better support system (the mobile centers are so easy to replicate that they are not an advantage at all). On the other hand, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche not only offer higher quality but also luxury that is totally absent in Tesla. Let’s not forget that we are looking at their first EV release. In another couple of years they will get to 400miles per charge (Tesla is not the only company working on advanced batteries). EA will mature despite all VW efforts in the opposite direction. Performance-wise, Porsche is already very close to Tesla. It is true that Plaid has amazing acceleration but Taycan’s handling is on a whole different level.
So, Tesla could afford to make mistakes or ignore segments of customers but not for long.

I can't decide if I should become a fanboy or a calboy (calboy - class-action lawsuit boy). Any advice?
Sure! Take the red pill. Use common sense and let go of the over exaggerated nonsense. If you’re not a fan and don’t have an understanding of what Tesla is doing as a company, where it’s heading, and how it’s revolutionized an industry then surely you’re going to think that a more conveniently placed seat heater button is the worst thing that could ever happen to you. They’ll keep making improvements, enjoy the car, enjoy the most advanced automobile UI on the market, and enjoy all the meltdowns around it trying to justify the need to check your tire pressure 100x during a drive while complaining that other things are dangerous to take your eyes off the road. Take the red pill.

Press one of the arrows (< >) at either side of the temp readout. If that does not work, I'd do a two-thumb reset.
Just got another software update. Now what you described works. So just like I thought we apparently were on an intermediate version until now.
This is definitely more convenient than having to look through the whole climate settings menu. Not as convenient as under V10, but a step in the right direction.

Sure! Take the red pill. Use common sense and let go of the over exaggerated nonsense. If you’re not a fan and don’t have an understanding of what Tesla is doing as a company, where it’s heading, and how it’s revolutionized an industry then surely you’re going to think that a more conveniently placed seat heater button is the worst thing that could ever happen to you. They’ll keep making improvements, enjoy the car, enjoy the most advanced automobile UI on the market, and enjoy all the meltdowns around it trying to justify the need to check your tire pressure 100x during a drive while complaining that other things are dangerous to take your eyes off the road. Take the red pill.

Can't I just use my covid chip to check the tire pressure and heat the seats? If not........thank's for nothing, Elon!

The author of the article basically said the new UI was easier to learn but the old UI was better to use and he hoped the programmers would learn some lessons.

FWIW, there were a few quirks with V10 but I never found it difficult to learn. I had a 5 minute lesson from the woman at the dealership standing outside the car (it was delivered July, 2020, so everyone was staying as far away as possible) and I figured the majority of items out from there with little difficulty. I've learned V11, too I just find it significantly worse to use than V11 for the majority of tasks that changed.

It's completely baffling to me why they didn't do this in the first place. They took away heavily used functions and provided a 'customizable app tray' but completely neglected to put the removed features as options. I've said it a dozen times, but why the hell did they put games and they toy box as options but not seat heaters, wipers or the defroster?
What difference is there to having a wiper icon on the bottom bar to bring up wiper screen as you are asking for, as opposed to just pressing the car icon to bring up the control screen where all wiper control can be found today?

Right, I like the new UI much better. I didn't for the first 5 minutes. "Where in the farmer's mother is that dadlem profile button?" Car seat squeezes me into a little knot........wife's profile........had to call the rescue squad to extradite me. Thank sweet Jesus for the phone button.
Phone button and audio are big improvements from the last UI, so much better and easily accessible.

Reactions: rjpjnk and PACEMD
Once the big guys unlock the range, efficiency and charging, Tesla will have a very, very tough time unless they get their act together.
I've been hearing this for years.

I find it amusing how the rearrangement of a few buttons and suddenly Tesla is doomed to the garbage can of automotive manufacturers. Tesla are more in tune with the younger and next generation of drivers than ANY other mass manufacturer. People want games in cars, people want less clutter, people want less buttons (both real and virtual), people want more automation, in short people want change from the traditional. Tesla is one of the very few out there challenging the status quo on these things. Sure it's uncomfortable for the more traditionalist (read older in most cases) but the wager is already set.

If Tesla sales start to falter then I would concede they may have gone too far too soon but current trends certainly don't show that!

Phone button and audio are big improvements from the last UI, so much better and easily accessible.
Personally, I've found the audio to be significantly worse - I'm sure it depends on what you listen to and how you use it. It's safer not to talk on the phone while driving so I avoid that as much as possible so the phone is of little consequence. Why does Tesla prioritize phone controls over controls that are necessary for safe driving?

Reactions: Boza
So things like 'my car is deadly without being able to see my seat heaters 24/7!' or 'I must have tire pressures only 1 click away or I risk death' ? Yeah ample proof they should be taken seriously. These kind of complaints fall away very quickly when most people actually realize they don't need these things all the time. As for my burden...it doesn't exist. I have v11 and am happy with it!
Well, those are clearly signs that people don't like the interface. Unless you're deluded