Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sorry, I actually like the new UI :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue is that Tesla sucks as a software company. This is more of a garage startup behavior.
Tesla could do better as a software UI company .. overall the total software stack is pretty stable, considering the amount of stuff that is handled by the cars computers .. it's the UI that needs work. And have you ever looked at the competition??? Not saying two wrongs make a right, but I'd take V11 interface over the offerings from Ford, BMW, GM etc any day.

That said, V11 is clearly the work of a UI team focused on "making it look nice" versus "making it functional AND clean". UI designers, apart from the very talented ones (rare), tend to confuse "different" with "better". They desperately need usability oversight. Given that their main UI design guy left just after V11, I would guess there has been some significant shakeup after the V11 feedback.

Tesla could do better as a software UI company .. overall the total software stack is pretty stable, considering the amount of stuff that is handled by the cars computers .. it's the UI that needs work. And have you ever looked at the competition??? Not saying two wrongs make a right, but I'd take V11 interface over the offerings from Ford, BMW, GM etc any day.

That said, V11 is clearly the work of a UI team focused on "making it look nice" versus "making it functional AND clean". UI designers, apart from the very talented ones (rare), tend to confuse "different" with "better". They desperately need usability oversight. Given that their main UI design guy left just after V11, I would guess there has been some significant shakeup after the V11 feedback.
I couldn’t agree more!

Reactions: _Redshift_
You'd be surprised how many medical devices run on windows embedded. I'll take an apple car vs anything that involves my health.
Our hospital has drug dispensing machines made by a company called Omnicell. They run Windows.
A few years ago when Microsoft finally retired windows XP there was a minor crisis because a large number of devices like ATMs still used it.
Windows is in a lot more devices than you realize. Of course, companies strip it down so it's only running the essential components and once they get the code set they tend not to change it much so it's more reliable.

Reactions: OliverM3
Our hospital has drug dispensing machines made by a company called Omnicell. They run Windows.
A few years ago when Microsoft finally retired windows XP there was a minor crisis because a large number of devices like ATMs still used it.
Windows is in a lot more devices than you realize. Of course, companies strip it down so it's only running the essential components and once they get the code set they tend not to change it much so it's more reliable.
Yup same most of our lab equipment is windows. You can't downplay Microsoft just because you think it's for your personal pc.

To be fair, when stripped down, the base/core of Windows is pretty stable and robust. And it has one advantage over the more typical embedded OS used in devices .. its used by such a vast user base that obscure bugs tend to surface rapidly.

You'd be surprised how many medical devices run on windows embedded. I'll take an apple car vs anything that involves my health.

Win CE is not the same as Windows. it’s much simpler. Also, the devices get tested more thoroughly than whatever Tesla purportedly does. My suspicion is they test the software like any other app company. Which is to say, almost nonexistent.

Tesla is not the Apple of cars in the following areas: One, Apple’s UI is far better, and intuitive. Next, Apple service has always been good. Build quality of Apple devices is taken for granted and held to a very high standard. Tesla build quality is spotty.

Where Tesla does resemble Apple is the charging connector, which is far simpler to use, and the interior, which is very spartan and simple. (nowadays, bit too simple, and cheap feeling)The way one drives a Tesla is also very simple and intuitive, with one pedal driving and no complications.

Reactions: Boza and sleepydoc
Win CE is not the same as Windows. it’s much simpler. Also, the devices get tested more thoroughly than whatever Tesla purportedly does. My suspicion is they test the software like any other app company. Which is to say, almost nonexistent.

Tesla is not the Apple of cars in the following areas: One, Apple’s UI is far better, and intuitive. Next, Apple service has always been good. Build quality of Apple devices is taken for granted and held to a very high standard. Tesla build quality is spotty.

Where Tesla does resemble Apple is the charging connector, which is far simpler to use, and the interior, which is very spartan and simple. (nowadays, bit too simple, and cheap feeling)The way one drives a Tesla is also very simple and intuitive, with one pedal driving and no complications.
Yeah I'm familiar and some of our medical devices are straight up windows so thanks.

Yeah I'm familiar and some of our medical devices are straight up windows so thanks.

Whatever, the point is this: a car’s UI needs a different mindset than a smartphone. You need to make the buttons bigger, because the screen is jumping around due to potholes or whatever. You have to make critical functions available at the touch of an icon. No two step or three step processes.

Aldo, stop nickeling and dimeing, and put a $5 rain sensor for the wipers already. The freakin things haven’t learnt anything in 4 years, being ‘neural net’ and all that.

Get fundamentals to work reliably. side cameras that come on every time car is put in reverse. Auto fold mirrors that always reliably unfold. Homelink that works reliably all the time. Seat heaters that work reliably in auto mode. Headlights that turn on high beam reliably.

Just hire some ergonomics experts and get a better Q&A team. Fire the incompetent current UI team.

😌😌😌

Whatever, the point is this: a car’s UI needs a different mindset than a smartphone. You need to make the buttons bigger, because the screen is jumping around due to potholes or whatever. You have to make critical functions available at the touch of an icon. No two step or three step processes.

Aldo, stop nickeling and dimeing, and put a $5 rain sensor for the wipers already. The freakin things haven’t learnt anything in 4 years, being ‘neural net’ and all that.

Get fundamentals to work reliably. side cameras that come on every time car is put in reverse. Auto fold mirrors that always reliably unfold. Homelink that works reliably all the time. Seat heaters that work reliably in auto mode. Headlights that turn on high beam reliably.

Just hire some ergonomics experts and get a better Q&A team. Fire the incompetent current UI team.

😌😌😌
The wipers do suck but so do most with rain sensors even. The saving grace on most is a little more manual control. A better stalk would make things 1000 times better.

Reactions: Xdama and Boza
The wipers do suck but so do most with rain sensors even. The saving grace on most is a little more manual control. A better stalk would make things 1000 times better.
False. My previous cars with rain sensors (mostly BMWs) never, ever had a bad day.
My 2013 S with rain sensors, again - never had to complain even once.

My 3, just last week - started wiping furiously when I got into the car. Light drizzle that had already stopped before I got in. Button press, no effect. Two touch to bring up the damn wiper menu, and then put it on manual.

They should stop calling it neural net. Implies some high level of thinking. They should simply admit whatever subroutine is running is just garbage. Fire the guy responsible for that subroutine as well. 😏

False. My previous cars with rain sensors (mostly BMWs) never, ever had a bad day.
My 2013 S with rain sensors, again - never had to complain even once.

My 3, just last week - started wiping furiously when I got into the car. Light drizzle that had already stopped before I got in. Button press, no effect. Two touch to bring up the damn wiper menu, and then put it on manual.

They should stop calling it neural net. Implies some high level of thinking. They should simply admit whatever subroutine is running is just garbage. Fire the guy responsible for that subroutine as well. 😏
First of all I've never had a vehicle with automatic wipers that could handle all different road conditions. And that includes recent BMWs. The difference with the Tesla auto mode is it is much worse that other implementations in either light rain or road spray. Second, I doubt that it's the algorithm, but rather the sensors being used. Most recent high end implementations use the amount of light scattered by the rain drops and usually use an IR source and sensor to measure the scattering. Unless Tesla has changed things recently, they use some combination of the front camera and filters. But the detection is passive and relies on rain drop effects on ambient light. No amount of code tinkering will compensate for substandard hardware.

Reactions: sleepydoc

I hope you are correct and the sloppy development (not only design - they regularly introduce regression bugs) is limited to the UI. My comment was related to the UI development. I do not have information about the rest of the stack. I can only deduce from what I see in the UI and that may be incorrect. I hope.

I hope you are correct and the sloppy development (not only design - they regularly introduce regression bugs) is limited to the UI. My comment was related to the UI development. I do not have information about the rest of the stack. I can only deduce from what I see in the UI and that may be incorrect. I hope.
Thankfully there is probably no pressure from the suits on the firmware devs to 'keep it looking fresh'.

MS had rain sensors?! I didn’t know that. Can they be retrofitted on more recent, full wheel models?

Original MS had a lot of stuff borrowed from Mercedes, which was an investor in Tesla at that time. Sensor was part of what was borrowed, likely.

I am not sure the new software stack will be able to recognize a retrofitted sensor, assuming you could retrofit one.
Would not be worth the effort, I’d imagine.

• Informative
Reactions: lensovet and Boza
You have no substance to your argument... nor is there any added value if you're trying to debate your point...

If someone never uses their seat heater, why do they need it within 1-tap when they could use that space for something else that they actually use?

The whole smoke show about "2-taps is going to cause me to crash" in a car WITH THE MOST ADVANCED SELF DRIVING SYSTEM AVAILABLE IN THE WORLD, is comical at best... come on... and if you really cared about safety then you would admit that allowing drivers to customize what they use most in those '1-tap' spaces is much safer. But it's not about that right? It's about trying to belittle other people's opinions.

Well that's all great for the cars that have autopilot but I got the same v11 in a legacy S that has no autopilot, nor do the much heralded automatic seat heaters work because they're not supported in my car therefore the UI in my instance is a jumbled mess of trying to figure out how to get stuff to work with buttons disappearing depending on what functions are on or off no clear indication on the screen if certain functions are on or off. Just saying not all of us are driving brand new Teslas.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff