Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound system lost it's "punch" after latest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a lot of people are having this issue. How do we let Tesla know about this?
I've found that the best way is to use the Ask A Question form in the Manage section of your tesla account web page. And check the box to "escalate to the executive team". This sends an email that actual people read, and you should get a reply email also.

I wonder whether there is an issue with phase cancellation in the car, particularly when people talk about loss of punch but arent quite sure what they mean that is often an issue.

Maybe pan the sound hard left, hard right, hard frontright/rearright/rearleft/frontleft and see whether the punch returns (dont pay attention to the volume, that will be lower obviously)? Keep immersive mode ideally off for this.

The software or the amp normally has to compensate for the fact that the speakers face each other on the left and right.
If this does not happen imagine a bassy sine wave coming from the left speaker and then the same sine wave coming from the other speaker. As they move in opposite directions they cancel each other out.

So this seems like it’s a real issue given that at least 4-5 of you have noticed a change. Anyone talk to SC yet?

My strategy on issues like this where it’s clearly widespread is to wait for the next firmware update before involving the service center.

If many of us are experiencing it it’s likely they’re aware and will roll out a fix with no action needed from me or the SC.

If the next update or two doesn’t resolve it I’ll call service.

I agree that something has changed. I did notice that immersive sound somehow got changed to standard, but even after setting back to high it doesn't sound right.

The lack of bass is by far the most noticable. There are two songs that typically hit pretty hard (donald trump by mac miller and starboy by the weekend) and the bass note just feels very flat. Does cold weather affect speaker performance? Could it be a result of the sub being in the trunk close to an exterior body panel?

I agree that something has changed. I did notice that immersive sound somehow got changed to standard, but even after setting back to high it doesn't sound right.

The lack of bass is by far the most noticable. There are two songs that typically hit pretty hard (donald trump by mac miller and starboy by the weekend) and the bass note just feels very flat. Does cold weather affect speaker performance? Could it be a result of the sub being in the trunk close to an exterior body panel?

I notice you're in Ohio. I reported it to my closest SC which is in Lyndhurst and they also had another owner report about the sound system/audio quality. I suggest you also call your SC to brings more attention to this issue.

Reactions: SoCalGuy
I noticed the sound system sounds different as well. I am on 42.8. While I am not an audiophile (and can’t explain exactly what I am hearing), songs that I’ve listened to many times in the Model 3 have a new sound/background noise to them that I hadn’t heard before.