Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sounds like there will be a Model X at the new Palo Alto store at opening...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there's literally no leg room in the third row, and only room for kids in the middle row based on the pics... something is amiss, b/c the Model S seems to have more space than this prototype X

My view of the pictures: Good leg room/space in second row depending on seat placement. Looks like all three second row seats move independently..nice. Agree that third row passengers may have some restriction on leg room but that does not surprise or worry me as most SUVs/crossovers with third row seats have similar restrictions of the third row.

Hope they bring one to the East Coast soon so I can get an up close look.

This is exactly the same Tesla Model X which I have seen at the Geneva Motor Show in March 2013. This car was one of the most important reasons for me personally to go to the Geneva Motor Show, although I enjoyed seeing lots of other cars as well. At the moment they are still working on it, and I sure do hope that the production version of the Tesla Model X will be ready when the 2014 Geneva Motor Show will start.

I wish they would integrate it into the car more. Having it hanging over the top doesn't look right.

We were told at TESLIVE (by Jerome, perhaps?) that the touch screen will be more integrated with the dash than what you see in the design prototype.
To me, the display placement design in the X looks significantly better aesthetically, than in the S. It’s also better from a safety perspective. The closer your eye sight is to where it would be if you weren’t looking at the screen the better, since you will be able to use more of your peripheral vision.

(I’m not in the market though. And regardless, unless I absolutely needed an X, I would choose the S out of environmental reasons. If I had the dough, I would choose an S station wagon though…)

I think the look of the rear seating is deceptive. Remember the unveiling where 7 tall guys got out of the Model X? I'm sure it will be fine.

I think so too, probably also the camera limitations play a role here (these are iPhone pictures). In real life the back row seat legroom looks really good. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to get even close to the car--I would have loved to take a seat.

Btw. professional photographer from SJ Mercury News showed up -- look for pics published in Monday's paper.

You mean the video where Elon stumbles and almost falls getting out of the third row seat? :wink: At 5'11", not sure I would call Elon "tall" by U.S. standards although certainly he's above average in height.

What that proved is that you can still squeeze yourself into the 3rd row, even if someone is already seated on the 2nd row. If you look carefully, the 2nd row seat was not pushed forward.

I don't think you can do that with any other SUV on the market today.

Probably the same way they solved the snow on the roof problem when opening the rear of the Model S and every other vehicle out there with a rear hatch. And the same way my Jeep solved it when I'm in snow country. The only thing new about the doors is the location.

Honestly, I think people are making a problem here where there is none. But I've been proven wrong more than once in my life :).

(So someone bookmark this post and feed it back to me someday! Or not. :) )

I agree that I believe TM will come up with an innovative way to deal with skis/etc.. Several ways have been speculated. A couple thoughts that have appeared other places on this forum:

1. Falcon door only opens on one side when a ski rack is fitted on top of the X

2. Rear doors that open different ways. Falcon function when there is no roof rack; Slide function (like minivan) when the roof rack is present. While it sounds strange, the engineering should not
be impossible for the TM guys. Very creative team.

Might be true that there could be some solution for my paddleboard. Actually not interested enough to research it. My "impression" is that it is more of a luxury SUV than more of simple rugged 4WD outdoorsy vehicles that I am interested in.

I don't think there is a one-car fits all answer anyways. What I would be looking for in this type of a vehicle is not the same as someone with three kids just shuttling them and their stuff around town.

You don't know that, only believe it. There is plenty of discussion on this board as to how it could still be accomplished.

Last edited:
Might be true that there could be some solution for my paddleboard. Actually not interested enough to research it, and would be a bit worried that the solution might be temperamental. My "impression" is that it is more of a luxury SUV than more of simple rugged 4WD outdoorsy vehicles that I am interested in.

I don't think there is a one-car fits all answer anyways. What I would be looking for in this type of a vehicle is not the same as someone with three kids just shuttling them and their stuff around town.

True enough. I need something with towing capability, ability to haul 3 large dogs, skis, windsurfing gear at times, kayaks, mountain bikes, handles well in snow, and a moderate amount of off-road capability (keeping in mind that I've taken plenty of non-off road vehicles on 4wd-only trails without incident). Your needs may vary.