Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

South Dakota Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the other thread and the picture posted, Murdo appears to be the location where it will be.

Well, it's hard to say whether those "coming soon" dots represent contracted locations or just general planned targets, and the map is too imprecise to pinpoint any of them. However, I noticed that if you compare that picture (including all the "Coming Soon" locations) to the TM website's "Coming Soon" map, they look almost identical, so I'm starting to think those are all confirmed locations. Either way, if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Murdo based on distance alone.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Murdo, SD supercharger page is up.

Murdo Supercharger | Tesla Motors[/FONT]

And it is on the Nav App map! I doubt that there is an MS in the neighborhood to go give it a try, but its own web page live and on the Nav App map in the car is good enough for me to say that Tesla hit 50 North American Superchargers in 2013! :biggrin:

Murdo.JPG

In SD for work and made the drive from Sioux Falls to Pierre last night. STopped off at the Mitchell SC. Pic isn't great but overall I'm happy its here but wished for a better location. It's easy to find. Between the DQ and Goodwill
photo-1.JPG
, set back from the road. Below are my thoughts but keep in mind it was late so I may not have appreciated everything in the area.
Pros: Very well lit. Recent snowfall had been cleared with rest of lot. Two stalls are "EV Parking only". Ramada Inn and a small independent in walking distance. 24H grocery store (Country Fare) in same lot. Dairy Queen Grill is next door
Cons: Not a lot of selection for food or lodging compared to the prior exit which is where most of the action is (Cabelas, Ruby Tuesdays, several hotels).
But maybe being on the less crowded exit is better - less likely to get ICE'd? Will try to get down to Murdo this weekend.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
Murdo

Made it out to Murdo today. Murdo has two exits 192 and 191. The SC is located about halfway between them so that's why the Tesla directions call for a different exit depending on your direction of travel. The site is pretty convenient. The immediate area is gravel - not sure if paving is in the future. Its in the parking lot of the Range Country Lodge. There is a small play structure and picnic table. Had a nice conversation with the employee inside and she let me take a picture of their lobby which has some chairs, a desktop with internet, and a bathroom. Rooms there range from $70-100 night. Its not luxury by any means but seemed to be well kept and clean with a friendly staff. There are some restaurants in walking distance. The Star grill and Rusty Spur Steakhouse looked promising.
Don't leave without checking out the Pioneer Auto Show. Went for my first time today. They are fascinated by the Tesla story. They also seemed a little surprised that the cross country team never stopped by but I explained to them that based on the blog it looked like a late night stop.
photo-3_zps7989aa2b.jpg
photo-2_zpsc1c99fa5.jpg

Didn't see a Rapid City SC thread anywhere, so figure this would be as good a location as any to update.

Went from Mount Rushmore to Rapid City SC using the Navigation and was sent to a road closed (for construction).

17375271781_c23562ce4a_z.jpgIMG_20150504_182700 by dennis_p, on Flickr

So, plan on taking a detour. I used the maps to figure out other mall entrances.

(Driving through and first time here, so that was a little stressful)

Not supercharger news, but DCFC in S. Dakota news nonetheless: State Regulators Want to Invest More in Electric Vehicle Charging Stations in South Dakota

For Tesla drivers, the important locations are the planned sites in Brookings and Watertown. The Watertown location will still be about 150 mi. from the Fargo supercharger, but it will certainly make travel along I-29 much easier/possible for most models in good weather and enable it for longer range cars even in bad conditions. Of course, Teslas will need to have an appropriate adapter to use the chargers once they are installed.

Here's the full presentation the reporting is based on: https://boardsandcommissions.sd.gov/bcuploads/BME December Packet.pdf