Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

South Mimms [supercharger parking]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my MYP yesterday and decided to try supercharging. I went 3 times yesterday and today and there were constant queues. Also checked on the app a few times, always 0/12 available. Looks like North London has too many Teslas and not enough superchargers...
Oh that fills me with dread for Thursday. Assuming you picked up from Brent Cross, where else could you charge if they don't give you enough to get home? I'll be heading up the A1..

• Love
Reactions: Andy B
Oh that fills me with dread for Thursday. Assuming you picked up from Brent Cross, where else could you charge if they don't give you enough to get home? I'll be heading up the A1..
Maybe just go there and queue and you can use your time waiting familiarizing yourself with the menus and setting things up. Or maybe try a 3rd party charger? I don't yet have much experience with public charging myself.
There are also two superchargers in Brent Cross but they seem full when I check the app.

Hopefully if you are collecting during working hours it may be a bit less busy.

Surely it would be a silly oversight if the car didn’t need to be unlocked… anyone could come and interrupt the charge…
well, it could be - needs to be checked :D You would be able to stop charge, but car would remain plugged I think... and it might be it restarts charging after some time if remains plugged.

remember, other networks have similar breaker - you can stop charging at source - car is plugged in but you have option to stop the charge:

1671463386553.png

in general, you could probably walk around chargers stopping people of charging...

97d.gif

Last edited:
you press and hold the button on the SC plug... it stops charging... not sure if car needs to be unlocked or not...

IME car needs to be unlocked to disable / stop charging at a Tesla charger stall - but I've seen plenty of YouTubes where 3rd party chargers have a "Stop charging" button which doesn't need any confirmation / card / car unlocked etc. In particular ones marked "Emergency stop" which must be an open invitation to hooligans ... cable will still be captive until car releases it, so no use to a car parked "other side" of charger to use.

Reactions: yessuz
IME car needs to be unlocked to disable / stop charging at a Tesla charger stall - but I've seen plenty of YouTubes where 3rd party chargers have a "Stop charging" button which doesn't need any confirmation / card / car unlocked etc. In particular ones marked "Emergency stop" which must be an open invitation to hooligans ... cable will still be captive until car releases it, so no use to a car parked "other side" of charger to use.
good to know.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Anyone else noticed increasing number of Tesla drivers parking outside of the South Mimms Supercharger area, in the public car park that backs onto the chargers, and charging from the wrong side?

Chaos today, because it becomes completely impossible to judge if a charger is free or not. Properly anti-social.
I’ve had several Model 3 and Y drivers reverse up to my supercharger when I’m already charging (from the correct side) and they try to use the CCS cable when I’m already connected via the Type 2 (I have a Model S). I have had to change my connecting procedure to use the CCS attachment to stop these idiots trying to connect as they can’t use the Type2. Tesla should put a wall up behind the chargers to show people that the other side is the Public Car park. Please can all Model 3 and Model Y drivers please note: You must use the Tesla designated spaces. They have been designed specifically for your rear tyres to touch the rubber stopper. That tells you that you are at the correct distance from the charger and the cable won’t be stretched. I sit and watch people not using their brains. I’m concerned that there are that many out there driving cars.

I sit and watch people not using their brains. I’m concerned that there are that many out there driving cars.
If you are new to Tesla and SCs (people who collect from Brent cross) or if you are driving a new Tesla and just bit preoccupied with your new car or new to South Mimms - you can miss the public car park and assume that is the Tesla charging space. I have done that and I am not new to Tesla and used various SCs here and in Europe. A sign post/or barrier will stop that otherwise it does mislead people. I won’t do this again as I know the layout of the SCs now.

What happened to the friendly ‘Tesla nod’ we were used to?

If you are new to Tesla and SCs (people who collect from Brent cross) or if you are driving a new Tesla and just bit preoccupied with your new car or new to South Mimms - you can miss the public car park and assume that is the Tesla charging space. I have done that and I am not new to Tesla and used various SCs here and in Europe. A sign post/or barrier will stop that otherwise it does mislead people. I won’t do this again as I know the layout of the SCs now.

What happened to the friendly ‘Tesla nod’ we were used to?
I have been doing the wave with Model S owners for several years. It just annoys me that some owners try to jump the (obvious) queue and attempt to charge “from behind”. I have no problem with newbies and a genuine “not knowing what to do”. I go to trouble to assist them. It’s the arrogant queue hoppers I’m referring to. Apologies if I offended you 🙏

Reactions: spdpsba