Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spaceship like controls... hint from Model 3 Design sketches?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I noticed it before but never mentioned it on the forums. In this sketch it seems like they have a cut top steering wheel design that appears to be mounted to a shaft. Maybe this could telescope down under the dash and out of sight. Just some thoughts, interested in what you all think this might signify, if anything, and if there's anyone who knows more about these types of steering wheels feel free to chime in. I at least know they seemed to go with that touchscreen design that is sketched here and remember a video clip the night of the reveal event where one of the engineers said they went back and forth about that screen and then decided to keep it and intended it for the final production design.
Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 7.48.13 PM.png

Musk said that the new steering controls have something to do with the lack of a traditional dashboard and instrument cluster. Does that mean that the steering wheel assembly itself integrates some of the instruments that would have been on a dash?

I would love a cut steering wheel. I know some people were concerned about wheel:turn ratios, but hopefully electrical steering can alleviate that issue (lower speed, more aggressive wheel turn. high speeds, less wheel turn)

As a person who typically drives with my left hand at the very top of the steering wheel, I'm hoping this is not the design. As I get older, I do find I'm not doing that as much any more though, especially on long drives.

I can't imagine taking a turn, going hand-over-hand on the steering wheel, and....there's nothing there to grab! Agree with Chewy3 above that the system would have to progressive steering rate to avoid this issue at low speeds

As a person who typically drives with my left hand at the very top of the steering wheel, I'm hoping this is not the design. As I get older, I do find I'm not doing that as much any more though, especially on long drives.

I can't imagine taking a turn, going hand-over-hand on the steering wheel, and....there's nothing there to grab! Agree with Chewy3 above that the system would have to progressive steering rate to avoid this issue at low speeds
If it's progressive in rotation, I think it could be just fine, and so that's what I'm hoping for. I would love to not need to rotate the whole steering wheel.

I think Tesla could design a steering system that would make it possible to do sharp turns with a "cut" steering wheel, but the technique would be so different from what everyone is used to except for F1 drivers that I do not think it would be a success with the car-buying public. See An Inside Look at the Insanely Complex Formula 1 Steering Wheel
But it is interesting to think about what could be done with an extremely simplified version of this type of wheel, with a display in the center and a progressive steering ratio.

Sauber-C33-steering-wheel-660x434.jpg

The cut steering wheel could suggest Tesla was aiming for maximum windshield visibility. When holding the cut steering wheel there's a slightly better view of the dash and windshield than a traditional steering wheel, as there's nothing blocking the view. Maybe they designed it with the HUD in mind. The cut steering wheel also makes it necessary to place both hands on the wheel instead of driving with one hand on the top. I know driving with hands placed in the 10 and 2 position is not something I regularly do, but this steering wheel seems to make it necessary to do so. With all that said, I do not think the cut steering wheel will be in the standard production model because it is too race-y and sport-ish, but it could be an option. Certainly it would fit with the spaceship feel comment.

The pressure-sensitive sidestick of an F-16 moves nearly not at all, yet the jet is the very definition of nimble. It accomplishes this (and has for a long time) through fly by wire. There's no "killing snakes" stick motion needed in the cockpit, just pressure.
In that way, the steering wheel in a car with drive by wire could remain nearly fixed, yet offer a full range of wheel lock to lock motion. It could even offer a center display that wouldn't have to be engineered to remain stable and readable. It would basically never move.
Robin

The cut steering wheel could suggest Tesla was aiming for maximum windshield visibility.

Seems like from the demo cars at the reveal, the top of the dash is very low, which would increase visibility, and the cut steering wheel would certainly help that.

The other factor I was thinking of is airbags. If you keep your hands at the top of the wheel then you put your self at risk for air bag related injuries. Putting your hands at the top of the wheel positions your hand and arms between your head and the airbag. If the air bag goes off, your hand and arm can be shoved into your face leading to broken bones/fingers/teeth/nose,etc. Cutting the top off would force people to hold the wheel correctly, and not obstruct the airbag.

Seems like from the demo cars at the reveal, the top of the dash is very low, which would increase visibility, and the cut steering wheel would certainly help that.

The other factor I was thinking of is airbags. If you keep your hands at the top of the wheel then you put your self at risk for air bag related injuries. Putting your hands at the top of the wheel positions your hand and arms between your head and the airbag. If the air bag goes off, your hand and arm can be shoved into your face leading to broken bones/fingers/teeth/nose,etc. Cutting the top off would force people to hold the wheel correctly, and not obstruct the airbag.

So let's create more trouble than it's worth just so we can try to force people to do something. The dash is very low because, like they stated in the demo rides, so they could bring the front seats as close as the front as possible.

I hope this would be optional if it is the case. I can see this being a deal breaker for people since it's too much of a departure (esp. the idea of a F1 style steering). The screen is already in the border for acceptance, but this involves something people are even more used to.

I hope this would be optional if it is the case. I can see this being a deal breaker for people since it's too much of a departure (esp. the idea of a F1 style steering). The screen is already in the border for acceptance, but involves something people are even more used to.
They'll only do it if it improves the driving experience, and if that is the case, I can't wait. I will say that I often feel (especially in a straight line) that the top 25% of the steering wheel does nothing except get in the way. I know it's a big change, but I'm excited about this.