Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spaceship like controls... hint from Model 3 Design sketches?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Change is always difficult. 'You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time". Moving towards automous vechicles requires vision and change. EM has both. I have more faith in what Tesla will come up with than any other car company in the next 2-3 years. Some level of automous driving capabilities will be standard in the M3 and most likely more $ buys increased functionality. If you are not interested in this, why are you considering a M3? I am looking forward to the next iteration in this process. The physical car, driving experience, and functionality with automous driving should "blend" to deliver a complete package and experience. To say that today's ICE layout is the optimal solution lacks vision.

IMHO

• Disagree
Reactions: zenmaster
if by "it feels like a spaceship" he meant it feels like the SpaceX steering controls, it could be something like this

PnNimg1.jpg

an example of joystick controls in the real world

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Change is always difficult. 'You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time". Moving towards automous vechicles requires vision and change. EM has both. I have more faith in what Tesla will come up with than any other car company in the next 2-3 years. Some level of automous driving capabilities will be standard in the M3 and most likely more $ buys increased functionality. If you are not interested in this, why are you considering a M3? I am looking forward to the next iteration in this process. The physical car, driving experience, and functionality with automous driving should "blend" to deliver a complete package and experience. To say that today's ICE layout is the optimal solution lacks vision.

IMHO

Because I want to move away from burning fuel within my car when I am driving. I'd also rather not burn gas. That means that currently the only appealing vehicle within my price point is the model 3 - and even that isn't available for purchase yet. I also like to drive which is why Elon's comment (maybe someone remembers where he said it and we can have source) about how they are NOT going to away people's freedom of driving reassured me a lot.

I got the feeling from your post that if someone likes to drive, they should do so in an ICE since autonomous driving is "the thing" with the model 3. I disagree. In my opinion "the thing" in the model 3 is that it brings appealing (BEV) alternative to a more reasonable price point.

Reactions: melindav
My prediction is that "spaceship" controls probably just means a bunch of extra buttons and limited information display on steering wheel. It is very unlikely a car such as Tesla Model 3 which is essentially a performance EV, will do away with the precision maneuverability offered by a conventional steering wheel.

Can you imagine driving at 80mph with your hands on that joystick - the slightest sneeze will send that car catapulting out of control.

We do get carried away in all directions sometimes but stick to first principles, common sense, and you can easily identify the impossible from what is actually possible.

Reactions: GermanMIII
There is one significant problem with a vehicle joystick control that the right-handed majority tend to be unawaRE OF: in left hand drive cars with a joystick center mounted, that's fine for right-handlers but many left-handers will face a steep learning curve for a safety critical skill. And for right hand drive cars, most right-handlers will freak out faced with the prospect of trying to control their car with their left hand. And I do not see it as feasible to design cars with dual joysticks, one in the center and one mounted on the door.

Estimates are that 5 to 30 percent of humans are left handed, depening on how that is defined, and there are disputes about that definition, see Why are more people right-handed?

I am left handed but also somewhat ambidextrous, e.g. I can easily use a computer mouse with my right hand, and swing a baseball bat and golf club in a right-handed manner. I think I could learn to use a vehicle joystick with my right hand. But many left handlers likely would find it difficult.

Bottom line for me is that Tesla is not going to offer a joystick control in the Model 3.

Note: saying that many planes offer a joystick control and it works fine is not relevant to cars, since planes require extensive specialized training to fly, whereas cars by comparison require minimal instruction to receive a license and their use is a nearly essential part of modern life but only a tiny percentage of the population has a pilot's license, which is a luxury not a necessity.
an example of joystick controls in the real world

Reactions: jkk_
I've been trying for a month to switch from a mouse to a trackball and can not make it work for one reason or another (mostly migraine related shaky hands I've decided). Seems like it should be an easy transition, but muscle memory overrides what logically should work. Think it'd be similar with the car steering.

"Note: saying that many planes offer a joystick control and it works fine is not relevant to cars, since planes require extensive specialized training to fly, whereas cars by comparison require minimal instruction to receive a license and their use is a nearly essential part of modern life but only a tiny percentage of the population has a pilot's license, which is a luxury not a necessity."
I'd prefer to call a pilot's license a privilege you keep on earning, more than a luxury.
Robin

"Note: saying that many planes offer a joystick control and it works fine is not relevant to cars, since planes require extensive specialized training to fly, whereas cars by comparison require minimal instruction to receive a license and their use is a nearly essential part of modern life but only a tiny percentage of the population has a pilot's license, which is a luxury not a necessity."
I'd prefer to call a pilot's license a privilege you keep on earning, more than a luxury.
Robin
Many would argue that a drivers license should require regular competency testing as well. Logistics nightmare but how many lives might it save?

Dan

Many would argue that a drivers license should require regular competency testing as well. Logistics nightmare but how many lives might it save?

Dan

You don't need a license to drive a car. That is, those who break the law will do so regardless whether or not they have a license.

That being said, I do think it is a good thing that we have 3-step driving school here. So please don't misunderstand my message as something that would advocate against driving schools, far from it.