Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Iridium Next 56-65 - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Successful launch, waiting for deployment of the 10 Iridium satellites. SpaceX has just confirmed that the first stage is upright on JRTI. Commentator John Insprucker described the landing zone as the worst conditions SpaceX has had to deal with to date and the landing would be "iffy". Also waiting on word of a possible fairing catch with Mr. Steven.

The fact that even in rough seas the landings are feeling rather anticlimactic these days is a testimony to what SpaceX has accomplished. This has become routine for them...

What I'd really like to see is a way to get a solid un-interrupted feed from the booster and ASDS during landing. They often get cut-off... and I understand why, those are some pretty extreme conditions. I hope at some point they come up with a novel solution for that.

The other thing I'd like to see is some Mr. Steven fairing catching attempt footage... even if they are failures. WE learned/enjoyed as much fromt he booster landing RUDs as we did anything else. Seems to be a great opportunity for some drone shots...

Reactions: Nikxice and mongo
What I'd really like to see is a way to get a solid un-interrupted feed from the booster and ASDS during landing. They often get cut-off... and I understand why, those are some pretty extreme conditions. I hope at some point they come up with a novel solution for that.
I think the uplink cuts off because the vibration or turbulence causes the satellite antenna to shift. I think there's an obvious solution; put a wi-fi receiver and satellite uplink onto a smaller barge, and park it 100m away from the ASDS. This one could be called "Fine Print".

Reactions: e-FTW and Matias
put a wi-fi receiver and satellite uplink onto a smaller barge, and park it 100m away from the ASDS. This one could be called "Fine Print".

If you go to the trouble of having a barge 100m away (which i think is a great idea), you might as well put some cameras in there and broadcast it. I would prefer a third persons view from a small distance away similar to footage from chase planes

Reactions: MMC-
Crew? I thought it was autonomous or at least remotely controlled.
Do you have a source for that?

It's certainly not autonomous, that would be a giant software project in itself since it has to chase down the falling fairing. I've never heard anyone suggest it was remotely controlled and I'm not even sure that's possible. There are also pictures that seem to be from the boat.

Do you have a source for that?

It's certainly not autonomous, that would be a giant software project in itself since it has to chase down the falling fairing. I've never heard anyone suggest it was remotely controlled and I'm not even sure that's possible. There are also pictures that seem to be from the boat.

Sorry, seems I was wrong, the boat does have a crew.

Anyhoo, catching the faring isn’t super dangerous as the fairing is coming down under a parachute.

You know, all those operations in orbit look so serene, and smooth. But when you take a look at the onscreen data, that last burn by the second stage was brutal! It only lasted about 4 seconds, but added north of 450 km/h (280 mph) to the speed!

You would definitely feel that if you were riding it! That is one heck of a shove, like what a top fuel dragster does to a driver on a quarter mile run.
Now, I may be forgetting some important fact about orbital mechanics, but I am impressed nonetheless.

Last edited:
You, all those operations in orbit look so serene, and smooth. But when you take a look at the onscreen data, that last burn by the second stage was brutal! It only lasted about 4 seconds, but added north of 450 km/h (280 mph) to the speed!

You would definitely feel that if you were riding it! That is one heck of a shove, like what a top fuel dragster does to a driver on a quarter mile run.
Now, I may be forgetting some important fact about orbital mechanics, but I am impressed nonetheless.

Just 0.2 G. Not too dramatic. Top fuel dragsters experience 4Gs although the launch can spike at 8 for a moment.

280mph / 4sec= 70mph/sec
* 5280 ft/mile = 369,600' /h /s
/ 3600 sec/hr = 102.7' /s /s
/ 32 ft/s/s /G = 3.2G
Is my math right? If so it's a lot more than 0.2G.
Yes I think your math is correct.

The best Tesla Roadster 2.0 can do is 0-60 in 2s. Here it is 0-60 in less than 0.5 seconds, which is 4 times more acceleration than the Roadster. And it keeps that acceleration for 4 seconds.

Reactions: e-FTW