Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation on the reason for the refresh delay

What's the reason for the S refresh delay?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People tend to make up all sorts of reasons for delays.

It could simply be that Tesla has some late breaking features they want to include with the refresh and that it is not yet ready.

Maybe some charging or battery technology, or things that could increase range and performance.
Or maybe Technoking is just incompetent when it comes to execution

Reactions: Flekoun and DanCar
It's very possible that Musk truly believes it is possible to hit the aggressive schedules he publicizes.

Those announcements may partly be intended to keep pressure on the Tesla staff - though over time, the effectiveness of that strategy diminishes to the point where the staff is likely now ignoring him when he announces aggressive (and overly optimistic) schedules.

While Tesla has a huge market valuation, compared to their large and long-established competitors, Tesla is still a "startup" - and after working with hundreds of startup companies, Musk isn't the only "startup" CEO to push their teams on aggressive schedules (and then fail to meet them...).

Reactions: RMG007
It is possible they've been producing S/X - but not delivering them - especially if they are waiting for government (EPA) approval for the re-design.
If they're producing them where are they? They're not in any flyover. EPA doesn't approve car designs?? Lol manufacturers mostly self certify until there's an issue

My first post here, and I know this will definitely be a minority opinion, but with a potential $10,000 federal rebate at time of sale in the federal budget for US made BEVs I don't mind the delay with the S. I ordered a Model S LR a few weeks ago, just before the proposed rebate was announced.

Reactions: HuntsHeating
My first post here, and I know this will definitely be a minority opinion, but with a potential $10,000 federal rebate at time of sale in the federal budget for US made BEVs I don't mind the delay with the S. I ordered a Model S LR a few weeks ago, just before the proposed rebate was announced.

I have doubts the biden harris administration are going to let "rich people" get tax credits for cars at this price point given the current political environment.

For that reason I'm not holding out for anything, not to mention it's going to take a year or more to pass.

Reactions: X Fan
Sounds like Battery design issues was the winner from what Elon said!

in true Tesla fashion...numbers/timing/answers don’t line up, the poll percentages don’t add to 100% and, in fact, greatly exceed 100%. Bravo if the OP somehow intended/controlled that!
Obviously letting people vote for more than one option was done intentionally, because there are likely multiple reasons for the delay.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS