Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it was. They announced that they would no longer require it for warranty maintenance shorty after I purchased it.

EDIT: Yes, it was the Service visits that were compulsory, not the Plan. I bought the pre-paid plan because it was cheaper than a-la-carte since i was going to "have" to do it anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

I would think "necessary" hardware upgrades would be a warranty issue irrespective of the Plan.

Here's archived version

Tesla Service | Tesla Motors

Some hardware upgrades might require over 100 hours of labor and taking most of the car apart. I'm sure most people realize that buying a service plan for $1,900 didn't entitle them to free upgrades regardless of complexity over the entire for year period.

That said the way the service plan was worded was poorly done. Telsa had upgraded many hardware components in my Sig not because they were broken but because a newer, better components existed. That is hardware upgrades in a sense.

I remember we were all having a big debate about this about a year and a half ago. The service plan was poorly worded and I questioned a DS about it. I had asked if new hardware was added to say the 'tech package' would I get this as part of the service plan if I had purchased the tech package. His initial answer was 'yes'. However, about two hours later he called back to say 'No'. There was a ton of confusion about it.
As a model S owner I would like to have all hardware upgrades with the purchase of the service plan. As a TSLA stockholder I don't think it is fair or practical to include it.

I don't understand why a new headliner and windshield would be needed. To fit the camera? Why not just design a retrofit only camera like MobileEye that isn't quite as form fitting, but doesn't require a new windshield?

The camera is mounted to the windshield and is behind the black covering presently on the older cars. That covering can not be removed, and also the rain sensor is positioned on the opposite side of older cars. So if at all possible to do a new windshield rear view mirror or rear view mirror housing as well as headliner will be needed. The shape of the headliner is different in the cars with lane departure. Also needed will be any wiring to the controller and firmware update installed by Tesla to activate the feature. Can it be done depends on how the components interface with the main touchscreen and dash display. If there is an intermediate controller that plugs into the Body controller or MCU and those are capable of taking the input then it is very possible to add the feature if not then it gets even more expensive with the addition of a body controller and or MCU. I have successfully added features to my car which were NOT upgradable .....It took a lot of research, time and patience but without going into detail it was done. I think as the dust settles we will see what if any retrofit is possible and at what cost.

As a side note I have lane assist on my Lexus, found it annoying and shut it off have not used it in 4 years. Its cool to show off but annoying to me anyway.

I would think "necessary" hardware upgrades would be a warranty issue irrespective of the Plan.

The word "necessary" was definitely added later. But even before that, I remember thinking that "hardware upgrades" was so vague as to be meaningless. I took it to mean that it was totally up Tesla what hardware upgrades we would get. Though it was certainly misleading for them to suggest that "hardware upgrades" is something we would get only with prepaid service, when it seems the prepaid service gets you nothing over pay-as-you-go, other than a reduced price.

From a post on the Tesla Motors Forum under:
BREAKING - NEW CARS ARE SHIPPING WITH LANE DEPARTURE WARNING AND SPEED ASSIST! - UPDATE 2 - 9/24

"
I have a text confirmation from my OA that these features are real and being shipped out with cars manufactured beyond a certain date. Regardless of which side of the fence you are on, the pictures are not fakes and the change has happened."

I originally delayed delivery of my P85 to April hoping to get some of these features. The sales rep "hinted" that they were on their way so I moved up delivery to late December, the earliest available date. Based on this thread, seems like good advice.
:biggrin:

From a post on the Tesla Motors Forum under:
BREAKING - NEW CARS ARE SHIPPING WITH LANE DEPARTURE WARNING AND SPEED ASSIST! - UPDATE 2 - 9/24

"
I have a text confirmation from my OA that these features are real and being shipped out with cars manufactured beyond a certain date. Regardless of which side of the fence you are on, the pictures are not fakes and the change has happened."

I originally delayed delivery of my P85 to April hoping to get some of these features. The sales rep "hinted" that they were on their way so I moved up delivery to late December, the earliest available date. Based on this thread, seems like good advice.
:biggrin:

Does that include ACC?

Spoke to a VP as I wanted to know if my car was built with the new Driver Assist features in mind since I took possession of it on 09/19/14 and got this reply:
"I have just checked and it looks like your car was not built with the new features (drift lane detection and speed limit display). Please note that these features cannot be retrofitted onto existing cars, due to extensive modifications to the wiring, the windshield and the headliner. ". So it looks like they aren't putting the feature in the most recent batch of cars and it is definitely not an option to retrofit for any of us. Guess we're all out of luck on the Driver Assist stuff :( Really sucks, but just part of the deal when there is no defined release cycle so no way to know when's a good time to order... Guess just order and be happy with what you get. I'm still loving my S, but definitely a little bummed on the miss.

Jerome Guillen said during a visit in Norway in June that ACC would not be a retrofittable upgrade as it would be too complicated. I would guess that this includes the whole Drivers Assistance package they are now rolling out.

Stated multiple times already, but my local service center said THIS IS NOT A RETROFITTABLE UPGRADE. :)

- - - Updated - - -

However when I pre-paid for my Service Plan (which was compulsory to maintain your warranty at the time), it was said to include software and HARDWARE upgrades over time. I wonder if early owners who paid for the plan will ever see any of these features?

"Necessary hardware upgrades" is only mentioned on the web ordering page for the pre-paid service. Once you buy the service plan and read the actual contract, there is no mention of any hardware upgrades of any kind - just replacement of certain wear/tear items excluding battery and tires. Local service told me yesterday to ignore any information regarding Tesla lifting the mileage restriction on those pre-paid plans, saying that you must adhere to what is stated in the written contract. No email or verbal communication can amend the warranty or service contracts, unless that amendment is incorporated into those documents.

I sent service the email I received from ownership regarding lifting the mileage restriction. Service told me, in clear and exact words, that Ownership was mistaken and that email does not reflect Tesla Motors policy. Tesla appears to be walking back from some of their earlier flexibility and are now referring to the written agreements that are in place.

Spoke to a VP as I wanted to know if my car was built with the new Driver Assist features in mind since I took possession of it on 09/19/14 and got this reply:
"I have just checked and it looks like your car was not built with the new features (drift lane detection and speed limit display). Please note that these features cannot be retrofitted onto existing cars, due to extensive modifications to the wiring, the windshield and the headliner. ". So it looks like they aren't putting the feature in the most recent batch of cars and it is definitely not an option to retrofit for any of us. Guess we're all out of luck on the Driver Assist stuff :( Really sucks, but just part of the deal when there is no defined release cycle so no way to know when's a good time to order... Guess just order and be happy with what you get. I'm still loving my S, but definitely a little bummed on the miss.

I wonder why they persist in giving this clearly illogical answer? Of course it can be retrofitted. They should say "we are not offering a retrofit" or "we may offer a retrofit, but expect to cost a lot". While I don't doubt that those parts would need to be replaced, it just does not logically follow that a retrofit cannot be done.

As others have mentioned, if this doesn't include blind spot assist and ACC, I have little to no interest. Lane departure and speed assist are not desirable options for me.

The sensors for what you want will be on the car, the software will likely come later. Don't hold off because of that. There is clearly a radar sensor in the front lower grill area and that will be used for ACC and collision avoidance once the software is ready.

I wonder why they persist in giving this clearly illogical answer? Of course it can be retrofitted. They should say "we are not offering a retrofit" or "we may offer a retrofit, but expect to cost a lot". While I don't doubt that those parts would need to be replaced, it just does not logically follow that a retrofit cannot be done.

I was told that parking sensors were not a retrofittable item, yet owners are retrofitting them at the Tesla service centers. It all comes down to paying for the labor and parts. It's too early right now, but give it six months and we may start hearing reports of owners finding ways to retrofit.

- - - Updated - - -

And that, right there, sums up Tesla's biggest flaw in a nutshell. Their communication internally and externally is utterly terrible, and it is apparently not getting better.

Agreed. I just happened to have 13,000 miles on my ODO when I did my annual service. But at the time, I was basing my understanding on the email from Ownership that I only had to bring it once a year regardless of miles. I'm curious about how a legal professional would interpret something like this. I would think that an email advice from Ownership would be binding on Tesla, even though it may contradict the contract. After all, wouldn't the email supersede the contract because it was a later communication? And even if it didn't, wouldn't Tesla share some culpability because it offered incorrect information that contradicted its own policies?

Anyway, I just shared that aspect because I was told to "read your contract" which is not the response that I'm accustomed to hearing from Tesla. Something has changed.

I was told that parking sensors were not a retrofittable item, yet owners are retrofitting them at the Tesla service centers. It all comes down to paying for the labor and parts. It's too early right now, but give it six months and we may start hearing reports of owners finding ways to retrofit.

Exactly.

What I was told at the service center early this year was that they will try to piece together a parking sensor retrofit on a case by case basis, but it will be expensive. Basically, the service centers will try to accommodate just about any request, as long as they haven't been told otherwise by corporate.