Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have taken delivery recently, can you verify the 6th digit of your full VIN?
Is it possible that it is a 6 for those that have received the new sensors?
And can those that have just missed the new features confirm that they don't have a 6 at the 6th position in their VIN?
We might be onto something if this assumption is correct.

My full VIN is 5YJSA6H14EFP58003 and my Model S is waiting in the production queue.

Ours has a 1 as the 6th digit. And we just missed it by days. But I don't know if they would have determined who would receive the upgrades a few months back. Unless they changed vin numbers as production began.

I'm in the same boat as you. No new sensor hardware from the outside of the car, reversed stalks without ACC label, and 5.14. I suspect that we could do the hardware upgrade. Wouldn't be surprised if the wiring is already there for us and the sensors are not. But beyond the sensors I suspect the car needs at least the following additional parts swapped:

* Windshield (to have the right cutouts for the camera)
* Rear-view mirror assembly (for the camera and whatever is behind the slits)
* Headliner (to accommodate the new rear-view mirror assembly)

We know the windshield is about $1200. I doubt the rear-view mirror is super expensive. The headliner change is probably not terribly inexpensive. No idea on the sensor costs. I kinda doubt the steering wheel has all the feedback bits in it (though maybe it supports it). So I'd bet on something like $5k to retrofit it to one of these inbetween cars, assuming it has the wiring. If it lacks the wiring the costs grow dramatically from there. Not only do you need to have the wiring and the sensors but you need to have something to plug it into. Which means almost certainly upgraded boards for the computer system. I'm assuming if you have the wiring you have the computer system changes.

If it's possible to retrofit to my car without being terribly cost prohibitive then I'll probably do it since not having this is somewhat eating at me. I'm not even the slightest bit bothered if they announce an AWD S because I don't have any reason to need an AWD car. But lacking these sensors probably means missing out on a ton of features that I suspect upcoming software updates will add.

We were on another road trip for the weekend and missed the live feed. But got tweets on the car console. Sounds amazing what the car will be able to do. The only thing that makes me think we can't retrofit is the article in USA Today. Last line says no retrofits for older cars. I think the guy who showed us our car had shown others that had the new features that day and assumed we had them too. So it may not be in the cards. I would have liked ACC and the speed indicator. Sort of like Garmin is able to indicate on their systems, but the latter should be something they could do with an update. No need for cameras.

During the drive, we noticed some signs said 65mph while for trucks it said 55mph. I wonder if the new system would be able to recognize the difference and not slow the car down based on the speed limit for trucks. That is if this feature works that way.

i did look at the new pricing. They have grouped parking sensors into the tech package. The price for tech went up $500 which is the price of the parking sensors. Except now, it has more sensors and cameras. Our build price round have remained the same.

Because we still don't know if wiring in our cars were different than prior cars, I'm going to wait and see if any additional news comes out about possible retrofits.

It hurts to have just missed out, but it's a fun car to drive. And there's always the addition of MobilEye if we really want it.

A '1' in position six. Picked up the car this week with all the new hardware and V5.14. Awaiting the next download...

Thanks @techiesjc and @Logical1. Seems that the 6th digit is not an indicator after all, at least not in the US. Anyways, we now know that all cars coming of the production line will be equipped with the new sensors. For those in transit it will depend on the production date. Cars produced starting around September 17 have a good chance of having the new safety features.

Thanks @techiesjc and @Logical1. Seems that the 6th digit is not an indicator after all, at least not in the US. Anyways, we now know that all cars coming of the production line will be equipped with the new sensors. For those in transit it will depend on the production date. Cars produced starting around September 17 have a good chance of having the new safety features.

The cut off date is September 18th. If your car started production before that date you don't get it. That's been repeatedly proven in this thread.

New 6.0 software is going out to folks that were on 5.14 with new hardware - the new 6.0 release is 1.67.42 (at least). I was in the Fremont SC yesterday and got that update. Other than the 6.0 changes, nothing new to the Lane Departure or Speed Limit Assist features. Also, no ACC features - just standard cruse.

Hi,

My car is in production queue and VIN also just changed on the dashboard portal:

5YJSA3H13EFP58XXX < Previous
5YJSA6H11EFP58XXX < Actual

I got a confirmation from my DS than my car will be equipped with all the new hardware :)

I'm wondering if autopilot features will be usable as soon as delivery (planned mid-december) of a futurs software update will be required?

I'm also interested to see a video of autopilot features in action..

Mat

Just FYI - the specific date it started was 9/18. So far MS started before that date do not seem to have the HW and MS after that date DO. I will let you all know as I pick up mine tonight from the factory (9/29) and it was produced starting on 9/24 and completed yesterday on 9/28.

i know this thread is really old by now but I was rereading it to see if I could figure out a definitive date on when production started for autopilot features. I see a number of posts for builds started on the 16th that don't have it and ones starting on the 17th that do. Mine started on the 16th, and the status changed to "being built" on the evening of the 16th. Mine has the features. So it seems as if the cutoff was on the 16th, unless there are any posts out there that I missed. I haven't seen any for builds started on the 17th or later that lack it, except for one that said "around the 17th." It's hard to go through every post out there, but I went through my email logs from the 16th, and the ones from my DS earlier in the day show the status as not yet being built and the email at the end of the day is the one that said it hit production.

i am curious whether there are exceptions to this or if I got it right.