Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up my car today... We'll see if I got the assist sensors. Honestly, i'm not to keen on the lane departure. I have it on my Odyssey and it's pretty much off now, as it's really too sensitive. Hopefully they'll add a pre-crash warning of some sort in the future... I like that feature for when I'm zoning out :) Also ACC will be nice, and looks like hardware is there for that feature too.

Picking up my car today... We'll see if I got the assist sensors. Honestly, i'm not to keen on the lane departure. I have it on my Odyssey and it's pretty much off now, as it's really too sensitive. Hopefully they'll add a pre-crash warning of some sort in the future... I like that feature for when I'm zoning out :) Also ACC will be nice, and looks like hardware is there for that feature too.

We have the Odyssey too. It is sensitive, but also pretty accurate. My wife and I joke that we didn't know what bad drivers we were LOL.

As of today, my SC has basically no comment on whether cars being shipped now have any new features.
He is usually forthcoming, so there must be a Corporate directive on keeping mum. Seems odd since people taking delivery can see the changes.

Agreed. I'd love to have the new stalk layout, but the lane departure and speed assist would be negative utility for me--I just don't see the need.

As for ACC, I think the last time I used cruise control on a car was in 1996, so that's not something I'd really want, either. Just more sensors to clean snow and ice off of.

So despite the obvious new ACC hardware below the nosecone, TM has only publicly acknowledged lane departure and speed assist?

It occurs to me that we have not yet seen firm evidence in this thread of the existence of sensor hardware for anything other than the camera visible above the rear view mirror, which is providing the speed asset and lane departure features. The other apparent sensors that are reported here (which I have personally seen on several vehicles, so there is no question as to that) - that appear to be an ACC radar "grill" under the nosecone and the side facing proximity detectors at all four wheel wells - may only be blank cover plates. Can someone who has just taken delivery of a car with these features investigate and let us know if there are actual sensor devices installed in these locations, or if there is evidence of wiring from these devices? Pictures would be most appreciated!

If the current cars rolling out only have provisions to install future hardware, ACC and blind spot monitoring may be a future, extra cost option. It also should be easily retrofit-able to cars with the pre-wiring and mounts installed.

Was at Rockville MD SC today. They are aware of the new features (speed assist and lane departure) but said that no cars have arrived to them with the features. As for ACC, blind spot detection and parking assist, they said not yet.

Looks like ACC knob, on my 60kwh, picked up on Monday, built 20-21st.

ErQo2Vw.jpg

Back from delivery, I do have the new radar and front camera sensors. Lane departure is much more subtle than the odyssey -- it vibrates the steering wheel as if you are driving over lane markers. Speed assist is nice, but ignored. As mentioned, there is a knob for ACC, but it's not functional yet -- I tested and verified, on the freeway. So hopefully there's more to come in the future!

Today's deliveries at the factory

I stopped at the factory store today to see if today's deliveries had the new safety features.

I counted 20 cars waiting for delivery while I was there. Of the 20 cars, 19 of them had the exterior indications of the new safety features -- lower front-center radar plate and front and rear side sensors.

I'm not sure why the one car didn't have them. I assume that it was built some time ago and that the delivery was delayed for whatever reason.

Surprisingly, every one of the 20 cars was an 85 -- no 60s and no Ps.

I'll receive my P85 on Sunday and report back if anyone is interested.

Back from delivery, I do have the new radar and front camera sensors. Lane departure is much more subtle than the odyssey -- it vibrates the steering wheel as if you are driving over lane markers. Speed assist is nice, but ignored. As mentioned, there is a knob for ACC, but it's not functional yet -- I tested and verified, on the freeway. So hopefully there's more to come in the future!

so the lane departure and speed assist are actually functional on your MS?

What are those corner and side sensors? Is that for lane switching or a v1 autopilot system? Or maybe just sockets for future hardware upgrades?

Sensors of similar size and shape are used by some cars for blind spot sensing - and for self parking I believe. They could be used for one or the other of those, or as support for a self driving system to know when lane changes are safe (or all three, perhaps.)
Walter

Picked up two new vehicles this week. White P 85 on Monday picked up at Van Nuys did not have 6.0 or the camera in the windshield. New gray P 85+ picked up at the factory on Friday and was shocked to see the camera mounted in the windshield.

So far the speed limit monitoring works perfectly, have yet to see Lane departure function properly. Neither vehicle has a 6.0, allegedly 6.0 does not conform to the new hardware in the car. Instead we are running 5.14.

Last edited: