Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed cameras on maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been past a mobile camera that wasn't on it. There have been a number of "Possible mobile camera" that weren't there.

Just by-the-by on Waze : mobile cameras are not announced with much warning, its a frequently requested improvement, so risk that announcement is after you've been detected.

In Waze you can display a "Journey hazards" screen - a single strip with "Pins" for each Hazard indicating relative distance to/between them - significant-delay, accident, camera, etc. ... so keeping an eye on that does allow knowing if there is something coming up ... but its not exactly ideal :)

TeslaWaze allows display of Waze data on Big Screen, but personally I've never found it useful to know everything going on around me, but it seems to be popular with aficionados. I believe that also has "heat map" for mobile camera locations, so could help even if you are first to arrive.

That is sinister to me. No thanks.

Not sure they are going to learn much more about you from something like that ... that they don't already know.

Even if you don't use Google search engine, nor Chrome browser, nor YouTube, nor any other Google-owned-sites .. then the Google Adverts displayed on web pages and other "widgets" (e.g. websites using Google Analytics), will probably enable Google to gather almost as much information about you ... sadly.

You're confused with the rules in some European countries. In them the detector are forbiden, but a detector is the electronic device that using an antenna detects the signal that the speed trap sends to measure the speed. For example is Spain if you have the equipment, a detector, in your car although is off you will receive a huge penalty. The use of maps with the fixed speed cameras on them are allowed.

You could leave waze running in the background on your phone, no need to have a route active, and it will alert you of "speed camera reported ahead" and "average speed check zone ahead", "Entering average speed check zone", "Police reported ahead".
I am doing the same with tomtom amigo and it is automatically coming up with the Bluetooth connection. You can use the phone speaker as well as the Bluetooth connection. Then when you entered in your car the apps will open automatically on the phone and give you all the warning you need for the speed cam, overspeed, road work, etc, via the Bluetooth and via the phone speaker.

Last edited:
You're confused with the rules in some European countries. In them the detector are forbiden, but a detector is the electronic device that using an antenna detects the signal that the speed trap sends to measure the speed. For example is Spain if you have the equipment, a detector, in your car although is off you will receive a huge penalty. The use of maps with the fixed speed cameras on them are allowed.
I believe that in France, map-based speed camera alerts are now forbidden, too. Car manufacturers have been removing them from their French maps, although I believe some satnav systems are skirting the law by highlighting larger areas in which speed cameras are present, rather than the actual camera locations.

Reactions: M3noob
I believe that in France, map-based speed camera alerts are now forbidden, too. Car manufacturers have been removing them from their French maps, although I believe some satnav systems are skirting the law by highlighting larger areas in which speed cameras are present, rather than the actual camera locations.
Surely Waze's POI method would bypass this french rule?

Not sure they are going to learn much more about you from something like that ... that they don't already know.

Even if you don't use Google search engine, nor Chrome browser, nor YouTube, nor any other Google-owned-sites .. then the Google Adverts displayed on web pages and other "widgets" (e.g. websites using Google Analytics), will probably enable Google to gather almost as much information about you ... sadly.

Every car in the last few years collects huge amount of data on how the car is used. I checked the forms that I had to sign for a VW that I bought in 2020. It basically said that if I didn’t sign I couldn’t buy the car if I didn’t allow data to be shared with them.

I’m pretty sure that Tesla is the most connected car in the world right now. So we’re already giving them huge amounts of data. If you check Apples latest earnings report you’ll see that they are making billions off of Apple user data. They started out ‘providing anonymity’ features, removed billions from the likes of FB but they hold huge amounts of data on them and use it. The irony.

The U.K. and US governments holds even more data on us and has been tracking our usage online for years. Why we're taking the UK government to court over mass spying

We were never given any choice on our right to privacy.

I sleep alright about it as there isn’t anything I can really do and I just don’t care if they’re interested in my boring life.

Used to love Google maps on my old car as that has things like speed cameras but I can't see that option on my model 3.
Also it was good to see alternative routes automatically show up with how much time/distance different they were.
Thought that Tesla used Google maps so are these missing on purpose?
May be because it’s illegal to show speed cameras in some countries on the continent🤷🏼‍♂️.
Personally my biggest miss is showing traffic congestion on roads on the display. I could route myself around most without actually setting a route in my BMW.

I really don't get why people want to know where the speed cameras are. You are not supposed to drive over the speed limit either way.. Limits are there for a reason..
Thats a whole different debate and maybe one thats different in different countries. From my own experience I've been done for entering a 30mph limit at 38mph while slowing from a 60 limit. If I'd been zapped by the person in the van a further 40 metres along I'd have been doing 30, I can't help feeling that I may even have been still in the 60 zone but risk contesting it rather than take a speed awareness course? Hard to prove. If'd known it was a potential camera location I'd have slowed even sooner

There's another argument that "if" speed cameras are only placed at dangerous spots on the road which is what they claim, and some even call them safety cameras, then it's an extra signal to be more cautious in that area. A case of the limit is 30mph but that particular stretch is statistically quite dangerous. That could be argued as an advantage for the well informed. Not sure I completely buy the theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.