Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed cameras on maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sleep alright about it as there isn’t anything I can really do and I just don’t care if they’re interested in my boring life.

Very much this. I've never really understood the mindset of those who object so vehemently to the collection of data by services they use. If you're not doing anything nefarious, why does it matter if you're "tracked" mostly anonymously. No human is looking at your data or cares what you are doing unless you've done something illegal.

If this type of data wasn't collected there would be no services such as live traffic on navigation systems (to move slightly back to topic) and countless other things people rely on to give them general information.

I'd rather see targeted ads for things I've browsed for or interacted with in the past than completely random irrelevant things. There's no getting away from advertising in most cases, why not let it be at least somewhat relevant?

Very much this. I've never really understood the mindset of those who object so vehemently to the collection of data by services they use. If you're not doing anything nefarious, why does it matter if you're "tracked" mostly anonymously. No human is looking at your data or cares what you are doing unless you've done something illegal.

If this type of data wasn't collected there would be no services such as live traffic on navigation systems (to move slightly back to topic) and countless other things people rely on to give them general information.

I'd rather see targeted ads for things I've browsed for or interacted with in the past than completely random irrelevant things. There's no getting away from advertising in most cases, why not let it be at least somewhat relevant?
except it becomes spooky when you never ever browsed for some stuff but talked about it in the car while driving, and then suddenly you get recommended ads while browsing :D

Reactions: M3noob
except it becomes spooky when you never ever browsed for some stuff but talked about it in the car while driving, and then suddenly you get recommended ads while browsing :D
Or had your subconscious already seen some subliminal advertising which made you think of said stuff, which you then talked about in the car, then subsequently started actually noticing the ads you'd already been seeing?

Thats a whole different debate and maybe one thats different in different countries. From my own experience I've been done for entering a 30mph limit at 38mph while slowing from a 60 limit. If I'd been zapped by the person in the van a further 40 metres along I'd have been doing 30, I can't help feeling that I may even have been still in the 60 zone but risk contesting it rather than take a speed awareness course? Hard to prove. If'd known it was a potential camera location I'd have slowed even sooner

There's another argument that "if" speed cameras are only placed at dangerous spots on the road which is what they claim, and some even call them safety cameras, then it's an extra signal to be more cautious in that area. A case of the limit is 30mph but that particular stretch is statistically quite dangerous. That could be argued as an advantage for the well informed. Not sure I completely buy the theory.
That is a very valid point. I think it, as you say, also depends very much on the country. Never thought about the "signal to be more cautious part" that is also a very interesting point. Consider me a little more enlightned.

Reactions: Xdama
I am doing the same with tomtom amigo and it is automatically coming up with the Bluetooth connection. You can use the phone speaker as well as the Bluetooth connection. Then when you entered in your car the apps will open automatically on the phone and give you all the warning you need for the speed cam, overspeed, road work, etc, via the Bluetooth and via the phone speaker.
Do you have to set up you route in Tomtom Amigo, or do you get alerts wherever you drive?

Reactions: RichardTheKing
Moderator comment:
The threads gone off topic and I hold my hand up as a sinner on this too.

There's nowhere to move "big brother is watching you" posts to get it back on topic and I'm loathed to delete anything if I don't have to, and with tomtom speed camera info as likely as waze to appear in our cars any time soon I think it's time to retire this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.