Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit is wrong!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a thread on here a while ago purporting to have the database that Tesla used. I went to that website and reported the speed limit for a road I drive on that didn't have a listed limit in the Tesla and a couple weeks later the car had the correct speed limit!

Unfortunately, I cant' find the thread or that website, so this post isn't terribly useful. :(

There are roads near where I live where the AP thinks the speed limit is 35 when it is really 45 and everyone drives 55. So it's a real pain to have to step on the electric pedal and override the AP speed control.

We need a software update to where we can manually set the speed no matter what the signs and maps say the limit is. Or at least allow 15 over instead of 5.

Just use the right scroller, spin it to to go up or down by 5mph, spin it twice for 10 mph.
Do you even have a car?

Just use the right scroller, spin it to to go up or down by 5mph, spin it twice for 10 mph.
Do you even have a car?

Do I have a car?

Yes I do have a 3, for 15 months now. On these speed limited roads it'll only allow me to go 5 over and that's not enough, especially when it thinks the limit is lower than it really is.

Do I have a car?

Yes I do have a 3, for 15 months now. On these speed limited roads it'll only allow me to go 5 over and that's not enough, especially when it thinks the limit is lower than it really is.

TACC, by itself, doesn't have that limitation, which is what we were referring to.
When you add AutoSteer and the car doesn't like the road markings, it'll limit you to 5mph over the limit.

My car is set to default to 10mph over the speed limit. On residential streets I often back this off by 5mph (one downward spin). On some other roads I might add 2 or 3 mph, but that's rare. Other roads I might back it off by 1 or 2 mph.

Also remember this is a maximum speed, as the car is usually driving a bit slower (sometimes a lot slower) because of the traffic in front of me.

To bring this back to the initial topic...

I submitted a request to [email protected] about the bad speed limits.

First answer was "reboot". Grrrr... Once I convinced them that both our model 3 and model s have the same issue...

I was asked to submit -

• Road name/number
  • Location (down to the intersection)
  • nearest town/village/exit/feature/service station
  • Direction of travel
  • If it is an of-ramp of other interchange
  • Also, could you provide a drop-pin location on Google Maps or similar?
Ideally, in addition submit a bug report on the car and let us know the date/time it was submitted.

Disclaimer - it may take months to make it through the loop and back out to the car database.

So you guys will stop arguing, go to openstreetmap.org and edit the limits. As of early last year Tesla used open source services such as MapBox, Valhalla and openstreetmap.org Can someone prove this wrong?

In my experience over about 6 years of S ownership, I find that speed limit inaccuracy becomes common in extremely rural areas.
This makes sense if Tesla has limited resources to address the issue.

I submitted speed limit bug reports for a year or two, but nothing changed, so I gave up and accepted the issue as another Tesla quirk.

So, if FSD really happens, will it use those inaccurate speed limits?
If so, your drive to Alpine Texas will be well below posted speed limits, and driving into Fort Davis will earn you a significant ticket, if not jail time. Well, maybe not jail, unless you spent too much time at one of the fine tinajas in the area.

Pretty sure this is not an isolated example. Only fix I see is speed limit sign recognition.
I suspect patent issues are why we don't already have that.

I can imagine the conversation and how it has gone.

Tesla to Mobileye - YOU'RE FIRED!!!

Years later.....

Tesla says "Hey Mobileye, we need to be able to read signs like it says in your patent".

Mobileye - "Oh Reeeeeeaaaaaallllllllyyyyy? Let's talk $$$$$ then, we are still a bit butthurt over that whole "You're Fired!" thing from a couple years ago".....

:D

Here is the coding from from Green - @greentheonly on Twitter

I don't know where specifically they pull from.

NA-2019.20-10487
valhalla_allagash_nam_schema_0305_03_05_2019_a665978_10487_03_05_2019_a665978_10487.pbf-tiles-1ee14c0.tar
import a665978
export a665978
build 1ee14c0
VE-3.0.0 common high/enu high/spm high/frc

Here is the coding from from Green - @greentheonly on Twitter

I don't know where specifically they pull from.

NA-2019.20-10487
valhalla_allagash_nam_schema_0305_03_05_2019_a665978_10487_03_05_2019_a665978_10487.pbf-tiles-1ee14c0.tar
import a665978
export a665978
build 1ee14c0
VE-3.0.0 common high/enu high/spm high/frc

From Github on 1-19-2018 valhalla/valhalla-docs

The speed is assigned based on tags within the OpenStreetMap data as follows:
  • max_speed: If a maxspeed tag is available from OSM, that speed is used as the routing speed and the speed_limit is set to that value.
  • highway: If there is no maxspeed tag, then speed is based on the OSM highway tag. There are a default set of speeds for each highway tag. Note that future work involves implementing country-specific default speeds for highway tags.
  • road density: The road density (the length of drivable roads in kilometers per square kilometer) at each node in the routing graph is estimated during Valhalla data import. The road density is used to determine if a road is in a rural or urban area. Roads in urban areas have their speed reduced if there is no maxspeed tag. In the future, this method may be replaced with a more accurate measure of rural versus urban regions, but density produces adequate results for now.