Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit is wrong!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone needs tweet verygreen as I'm guessing they know. Here are the stores that all seem to point to a combination of services.

Speed Limits: openstreetmap.org
Maps: MapBox
Navigation: Valhalla (Mapzen's Open Source Engine)

Is Tesla using OSM via MapBox, Valhalla? / Questions and Answers / OpenStreetMap Forum

How to update nav maps

Tesla's new 'light-years ahead' navigation and maps engine is 'almost done', says Elon Musk - Electrek

Tesla still derives part of their map data from Google. In Vancouver, the satellite imagery was update to something very recent (I believe June/July, 2019) . The map data copyright in the Model 3 maches exactly what you see on the Google Maps before and after this recent update.

No. TACC is not restricted by the manual. Autosteer is recommended to use on "highways and limited access roads".
Hmm, I wonder whether we have different editions of the manual. Mine says, on page 69,

Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is primarily intended for driving on dry, straight roads, such as highways and freeways. It should not be used on city streets.

and,

Warning: Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on city streets or on roads where traffic conditions are constantly changing.

I use the speeding chime, and it's great except for the 35mph street I have to use to enter and leave my neighborhood, where the car thinks its 25mph (only in one direction, and only on parts of it). I set the chime for 12mph over, figuring that if I get a speed limit that wrong, I want to be warned, but if the speed limit is 10mph low, I get yelled at WAY too easily.

I'll try the voice bug report mechanism.

I confirm same in Norway.The speed limits on the screen not corresponding to reality .By the way I was traveling with Garmin in parallel and confirm Garmin map was always correct and precise with speed limit and location of signs.
Tesla need to look into it...Needless to say , on top of that coming problem with automatic speed in cruise mode... and if overlook the sign can be the trouble with fines...

In my experience over about 6 years of S ownership, I find that speed limit inaccuracy becomes common in extremely rural areas.
This makes sense if Tesla has limited resources to address the issue.

I submitted speed limit bug reports for a year or two, but nothing changed, so I gave up and accepted the issue as another Tesla quirk.

So, if FSD really happens, will it use those inaccurate speed limits?
If so, your drive to Alpine Texas will be well below posted speed limits, and driving into Fort Davis will earn you a significant ticket, if not jail time. Well, maybe not jail, unless you spent too much time at one of the fine tinajas in the area.

Pretty sure this is not an isolated example. Only fix I see is speed limit sign recognition.
I suspect patent issues are why we don't already have that.

Agree on the FSD constraint.

One of the (many) things that have to be right before FSD can be deployed
- Reasonably accurate database of speed limits (better than now)
- Reading of speed limit signs to get the actual, real speed limit
- Support of shortterm speed limits, ex: around schools. Unless FSD can adjust to a well-enforced temporary 25 mph school speed limit on a 45 mph divided highway, the supposedly driver will find themselves tossed in jail for driving 50+ mph in a 25 mph school zone.
- Support of mandatory variable speed limits - very common in Europe

Where do you submit bug reports?
Did Tesla fix it so your car reads speed signs? I am really pissed that my brand new Model 3 doesnt even read speed signs - because in zones with temp reduced speed limit the cruise control accellerates up to the map defined speed :-(
Really pissed, seriously? Where on the Tesla ordering page does it say that is available? There is no reference to reading a speed sign, only stop signs and traffic lights and those will be available later.

No that was not mentioned but my 9 years old Mercedes has it so I feel like I have bought a downgrade. Sorry but now I have the Tesla I am underwhelmed with how the auto pilot functionalities works in real life. Besides the speed sign issue it regularly make small breakings as it misreads surroundings which makes it hard to develop the trust in the functionality it takes to put my life in its “hands”. Again the Distronic function in my old car is not having as many aberant behaviours and I trust it more.

There are roads near where I live where the AP thinks the speed limit is 35 when it is really 45 and everyone drives 55. So it's a real pain to have to step on the electric pedal and override the AP speed control.

We need a software update to where we can manually set the speed no matter what the signs and maps say the limit is. Or at least allow 15 over instead of 5.

You can tell the car to move to the speed limit + or - a set amount.

Really pissed, seriously? Where on the Tesla ordering page does it say that is available? There is no reference to reading a speed sign, only stop signs and traffic lights and those will be available later.
Haha. A rental car I had on vacation a few years ago could read speed signs. It’s such a basic feature for a supposedly “smart” car that it shouldn’t have to be spelled out in the feature list.

But then, I just say “dancing cars”, phantom braking, traffic cone crashes. The current Tesla camera and NN vision is a total joke.

There’s a reason why the Tesla AP/FSD team is in turmoil. They simply bit off more than they can chew.

Theres’s also a reason why Mobileye is so much better (that’s what several other cars use for basic AI vision like speed sign detection). They have several years head-start over Elon’s posse. And that field is a lot more difficult than PayPal, engineering an awesome EV or optimizing 60s rocket tech.

Oh, wasn’t there supposed to be a release of “enhanced summon” together with a price increase yesterday?!?

Reactions: totteraptor
I know this is a Model 3 thread but I cannot understand why something that is in my 2015 Model S is not available in a current Model 3.

When on Autopilot, my Model S, with AP1, automatically reduces speed when I come across a speed limit sign. Sometimes it is annoying because there is a warning sign of a roadwork limit ahead and suddenly the car is rapidly slowing down early but it works!

This applies to ALL temporary limits, roadworks, people working on the side of the road, road damage - whatever the reason, if there is a temporary speed limit the car recognises it, changes the limit on the dash and if on AP changes the current speed appropriately.

I know this is a Model 3 thread but I cannot understand why something that is in my 2015 Model S is not available in a current Model 3.

When on Autopilot, my Model S, with AP1, automatically reduces speed when I come across a speed limit sign. Sometimes it is annoying because there is a warning sign of a roadwork limit ahead and suddenly the car is rapidly slowing down early but it works!

This applies to ALL temporary limits, roadworks, people working on the side of the road, road damage - whatever the reason, if there is a temporary speed limit the car recognises it, changes the limit on the dash and if on AP changes the current speed appropriately.
Your AP1 uses Mobileye tech. Tesla had a falling out with them a few years ago and now Tesla is still trying to catch-up.

• Informative
Reactions: totteraptor
There is a street near me on which the speed limit is the standard 50 km/h. However this street is part of an urban road network and it is referred to as Route 70, and there are signs up that say Route 70, so my Model 3 tries to go 70. This is an ongoing problem, but the aspect that really annoys me is that Tesla offers no information on how I can report this.

I tried going to openstreetmap.org and found no information whatsoever regarding speed limits. What am I missing?
You will need an account with them. Sign in, then press the Edit button. Select a road, and there's a field for the speed limit. Note that most roads are split up into multiple segments, so you'll need to make sure you get them all corrected.

Note that doing this, while it will eventually fix it in the car, it may take a few months before it shows up in the car.

I tried editing at openstreetmap.org and found the speed limit for my problem street; it is correct there at 50. I guess my problem arises because my car sees the signs that say "ROUTE 70" and interprets them as overriding speed limits. I wonder what FSD does. Thanks sduck for the previous post.

Jus got off the phone with Tesla service. They claimed that the speed limits for roads are entered into some kind of database by the municipality and they are the only ones that can change it. So they are just throwing their hands up and saying its someone else’s problem (like ours, because we drive the cars). He said that I need to contact every municipality and let them know to update these speed limits. Sounds like millions of dollars and millions of days. No one is going to do this, so unless you are in a large city or on an interstate, these problems won’t be going away…ever. On the plus side, if you have fsdbeta, you can override the speed limit as much as you like, while with the regular software you are limited to 5 over what it thinks the speed limit is. Lots of other problems with FSD beta though (terrible phantom braking), long hesitation at turns, and very jarring wheel turns. But hey, less carbon, right?

I know of one case where the speed limit sign apparently fell off its pole, so it was not noticed by the car (this is the first speed limit sign on a part of the road with a changed speed limit, so the car was still showing the speed limit for the previous part of the road after passing where that sign was). Later, it looked like someone found the sign and leaned it on the ground against the pole, and the car noticed it that time.

So there are some cases where the car detects speed limit signs.