Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Spoiler Alert + Mild Speculation] Tesla has created a monster!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting data ... Can someone help interpret the key conclusions from pages 6-7 :cool:

upload_2017-8-6_8-47-55.png

Page 3 of that report says th motor is AC 3 Phase Permanent Magnet. I don't believe the old motors were permanent magnet.
Indeed if this is a PM motor, then it is unlike other Teslas. The report incorrectly spelled the word permanent which, with the PM motor change and various factors a bit better then Tesla published specs colors me a bit skeptical of the document authenticity.

Edit: finishing the thread, I see it is available from epa.gov, so it probably is real. I'm surprised that Tesla shifted to PM motors.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
Where's the battery capacity in this report?
There ain't.
There is average voltage of 351V during testing and integrated AmpHours of 222Ah.
222 x 351 = 77,9 kWh used during the test.
I'm guessing (could be wrong) it's total voltage times energy capacity on page 3.
Are there documents for Model S, Model X or Roadster?
If they state the same, we would not it does not mean anything, on the other hand if ...
Here's the certification records for Tesla's other test groups from this year.

https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/datafiles/CSI-HTSLV00.0L1S.PDF
https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/datafiles/CSI-HTSLV00.0L2SV2.PDF
https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/datafiles/CSI-HTSLV00.0L2XV3.PDF

Indeed if this is a PM motor, then it is unlike other Tesla's. The report incorrectly spelled the word Permanent which, with the PM motor change and various factors a bit better then Tesla published specs colors me a bit skeptical of the document authenticity.
It could be a fake, but that means someone managed to fool the EPA into thinking they were Tesla.

Most PM motors are DC (Bolt).

No.
Actually ALL electric motors are AC, magnetic fields must switch or there is no rotation.
There is only one type of electrics motor called DC motors that take direct DC current. They can do that because they have internal mechanical inverter (called commutator) that switches the poles as rotor rotates.
No such DC motors in a production EVs. Where EV motors differ is how they "generate the opposing" magnetic field. AC induction uses induced current that opposes the 'primary' stator field, PM AC motors have permanent magnets.

This goes against scarcity of rare earths... interesting.

Ok.....what's going on here?? English please, no hablo "electric engineering". :D

The motor technology in the Model 3 is like nothing else Tesla has done.

And it is very good (efficient).

This is consistent with what the designer said on the Motor Trend test drive (to fill up the conversation as the journalist was speechless - did not know what to say as his senses discovered gold)

This is the most informative document ever, and here is the mother lode:

Screenshot 2017-08-06 at 11.19.06 AM.png

Explanation and use courtesy of a Bob Wilson post at PriusChat
The EPA requires a set of roll-down tests that are reduced to three coefficients. There is a simple formula that converts them into the power required at any given speed:
  • Target Coef A (lbf)
  • Target Coef B (lbf/mph)
  • Target Coef C (lbf/mph**2)
  • v - mph
  • Drag_HP = (v*(Coef_A+(v*Coef_B)+(v*v*Coef_C)))/375
The vehicle drag is the sum of aerodynamic, linear, and a static drag force which is why getting them from the USA "Test Car Database" is so useful. All of the forces must be accounted for and the roll-down coefficients have been very useful in predicting vehicle efficiency.

Last edited:
There ain't.
The EPA sheet reports energy used from the wall to fill the battery from empty.
From there, IIRC EPA presumes 12% charging losses

Tesla reported 78.27 kWh consumption from the battery in a comment at the bottom of page #7. That works out to a 12.5% charging loss to get to the EPA number. Close enough for government work ;-)

Last edited:
Something interesting discovered in the reddit thread by Bob042:

On Page 3, for the RWD S it says Regenerative Braking Source: Rear Wheels.

For the AWD S and RWD 3, it says Regenerative Braking Source: Both

I don't know how you get regen from the front axle without a motor there, though, so I wonder if that's actually right? Or maybe Tesla has some tricks up their sleeve for the 3 still...

So is there a secret front motor/generator in RWD cars, or a typo?

I can now take a better guess at the SR Model 3 range at 70 mph
No more than 220 Wh at 70 mph (since it will be a tad better than the LR)
A bit less than 78*220/330 Usable battery, say 54 kWh

Then range at 70 mph w/o AC is 54/0.22 = 245 miles.

As OP stated, Tesla hit it out of the park.
Since my 257 mile drive is at 6000 feet elevation (80% air density of sea level), I'm increasingly confident the SR Model 3 can make the drive on a nice day without head-wind without any SC use. Damn