Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spontaneously Cracked Windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A neighbor of mine bought a MXLR and took delivery three days ago. When she came out to her car in the driveway yesterday, she had a huge crescent shaped crack in her windshield which looped around where the rearview mirror and front camera is. There are not pits or chips in her windshield (she took delivery 3 days ago and has less than 500 miles). When feeling the glass you can feel the ridge of the crack in the inner layer of the glass and not the outer layer of the laminated windshield so it could not have been from a rock or object impact when driving. The plastic trim of her front camera cover is also a bit dislodged like it was not installed correctly.

Has anyone else experienced that? What did Tesla do about it? They are telling her to file a claim with her insurance but the details of the crack and the timing of it really point to a manufacturing or material flaw.

A neighbor of mine bought a MXLR and took delivery three days ago. When she came out to her car in the driveway yesterday, she had a huge crescent shaped crack in her windshield which looped around where the rearview mirror and front camera is. There are not pits or chips in her windshield (she took delivery 3 days ago and has less than 500 miles). When feeling the glass you can feel the ridge of the crack in the inner layer of the glass and not the outer layer of the laminated windshield so it could not have been from a rock or object impact when driving. The plastic trim of her front camera cover is also a bit dislodged like it was not installed correctly.

Has anyone else experienced that? What did Tesla do about it? They are telling her to file a claim with her insurance but the details of the crack and the timing of it really point to a manufacturing or material flaw.
With your description (crack on the inside) it should be a warranty repair. Especially if the camera housing is not right.

Reactions: zoomer0056

Tesla will look at it and then make a determination of what they believe the cause is. Let them do their thing first.

Reactions: walla2
Yea, she was just frustrated because when she initially reached out to them, they told her regardless of the cause, she needs to file a claim with her insurance. I told her to make an appointment and bring to them and show them the details that do not suggest a rock/object impact while driving.

• Funny
Reactions: rpo
Yea, she was just frustrated because when she initially reached out to them, they told her regardless of the cause, she needs to file a claim with her insurance. I told her to make an appointment and bring to them and show them the details that do not suggest a rock/object impact while driving.
I would not file a claim anyway. For $2,000 it's not worth the hit to my insurance. Claim free discount is worth hanging on to, IMO.

I have had 2 in 4 months, today the Tesla tech was working on the driver side pillar that she was replacing under warranty. She called me and said the windshield broke while she was working the pillar. This will be number 3. The 1st and 3rd started at the same point (near the visor pivot), the 2nd was while in the dealership when they installed it, it cracked (they claimed it was defective). The tech. is talking to her manager to see if the SC can look into a possible defect of the pillar This one has ridges on the outside like a tectonic plate moved, inside slight ridge. I am afraid to drive it.

I have had 2 in 4 months, today the Tesla tech was working on the driver side pillar that she was replacing under warranty. She called me and said the windshield broke while she was working the pillar. This will be number 3. The 1st and 3rd started at the same point (near the visor pivot), the 2nd was while in the dealership when they installed it, it cracked (they claimed it was defective). The tech. is talking to her manager to see if the SC can look into a possible defect of the pillar This one has ridges on the outside like a tectonic plate moved, inside slight ridge. I am afraid to drive it.
Here is pic.
IMG_3084.jpg

If it's a refresh X. I would not be surprised it cracked. The refresh X is soft compared to older X. They have skipped lots of welding spots to save time in production. It's ridiculous how soft the car is. The rear doors pops up on different places if you don't park on a straight spot. Can feel it while driving also. Or jacking the car up in a corner.

Don't make a problem when you might not have one. Take it to Tesla and see if they will replace it. If they do...good. If they refuse, then you have the choice to pay for it yourself or through any insurance coverage you might have.
Imagine if it is a freshly delivered car, and they cannot locate a point of impact, they probably will replace it for you.

I don't understand why more people don't notice this kind of stuff on the refresh cars. I picked up my plaid. And hated everything about it after 10 seconds. The only good thing was how quiet it was. The first months.. Until the soft body made everything squeeze.. It's more noise in the plaid now than our 2019. "That's normal" Tesla says 😂
They saved money on everything single piece on this car. But took premium money.
I don't understand why the team let this happen. Just swapping the tiny hepa filter is awfull. And you need to do it twise as much as the older cars. Worst awd ever.. The seat is awfully hard. "Missing" plastic covers on the insides.. No cower under the seat.
The seat beltholder eating up the seat. And why did they put the worst looking seat belt ever made. I this car? Have you ever seen a uglyer belt? I actually want to cut them of and just drive without.

Reactions: Smh2210
Don't make a problem when you might not have one. Take it to Tesla and see if they will replace it. If they do...good. If they refuse, then you have the choice to pay for it yourself or through any insurance coverage you might have.
Imagine if it is a freshly delivered car, and they cannot locate a point of impact, they probably will replace it for you.
They will replace it. I don't think you understand my point. The windshield cracks have begin at the same point and the fractures show it is stress from that exact point (yes, I am an engineer). It is about repeatedly replacing the windshield. This will be #4 on a car bought Sept. 2023 new.

They will replace it. I don't think you understand my point. The windshield cracks have begin at the same point and the fractures show it is stress from that exact point (yes, I am an engineer). It is about repeatedly replacing the windshield. This will be #4 on a car bought Sept. 2023 new.
Time to lemon it. This a serious safety issue I would not want to own a car that does that

My 2016 X developed a crack centered right through the camera / sensor point in the middle of the windshield about 3 weeks ago.

There was no impact, this seems to have happened spontaneously while parked at home in CT and there is nothing to feel on the outside of the glass. Can't feel it on the inside either b/c I have a tinted windshield but that's not a new feature. The windshield has been tinted for several years now.

Is there a heater or something on the camera mount? That's about the only thing I can think of that could have caused this. It was cold outside when it happened.

Most every auto manufacturer needs to deal with cracked windshield, rear and side windows as well.
Auto glass is molded and tempered. The glass is under compression all the time. When something released that tension, the window needs to be replaced.
Safelite is a huge company, doing thousands of glass replacements every month.