Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify finally coming to US Tesla vehicles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what the fascination with Spotify is.
Exactly iPhoney cult - like.

I just want more streaming music options. I’ve never used Spotify before but from what I’ve read it’s much better than the current Slacker offering. I’m paying for a premium Slacker account for my Model 3 which gives me greater functionality than the included Tesla Slacker account. With my premium Slacker account I can play entire albums, request the same song more than once in a single 24 hour window and I can tell it to “play Alice in Chains” and all it will play is Alice in Chains songs and not an AiC song followed by 3 songs from similar artists before the next AiC song. This makes Slacker tolerable for me but I still get the same songs coming up multiple times during a single drive. I’ve read that this likely wouldn’t happen with Spotify.

Reactions: bijan
I just want more streaming music options. I’ve never used Spotify before but from what I’ve read it’s much better than the current Slacker offering. I’m paying for a premium Slacker account for my Model 3 which gives me greater functionality than the included Tesla Slacker account. With my premium Slacker account I can play entire albums, request the same song more than once in a single 24 hour window and I can tell it to “play Alice in Chains” and all it will play is Alice in Chains songs and not an AiC song followed by 3 songs from similar artists before the next AiC song. This makes Slacker tolerable for me but I still get the same songs coming up multiple times during a single drive. I’ve read that this likely wouldn’t happen with Spotify.

It does. esp. if you drive long enough on certain playlists.
I just don't get that Spotify is that great of an app nor product esp. when their app is buggy with any of their integration from my experience.

Dumbing it down through AA or CP is not a reason to want Spotify.
& for music enthusiasts - which I am not - I can see searching & getting new stuff suggested maybe valuable but their AI give suggestions to me that is un-relatable & I am in the fat part of the bell curve.

Slacker is free. & I stream my other music apps - such as Spotify/XM/Google/Prime/Podcasts to the M.3 just like I do in my GTI with no problems & full control + with voice control also.

So using the panel, scroll wheels or voice of the Tesla is walk down for me.

Last edited:
this vague “ok” from Elon is a bit puzzling

"Ok" is just an acknowledgement of receipt of message. As much as I'd love to have Spotify integrated (premium subscriber here), I wouldn't hold my breath for this.

So odd that he focuses on updating the sketchpad, but can't add real functionality like Spotify. Ugh. I wish I had it, bad.

Yeah, seriously.. how about a workable browser?

I just don't get that Spotify is that great of an app nor product esp. when their app is buggy with any of their integration from my experience.
I think Spotify has by far the best generated playlists of all the streaming services, particularly the "Discover Weekly" playlist. After "training" the system for a few weeks, it's almost uncanny how it finds new music that's exactly my taste.

I think the main reason why people want Spotify is simply that many already have a subscription that they want to use in the car, and many have a large amount of custom playlists that they want to access. The other popular service in the US is Apple Music. Slacker is a tiny player by comparison. I don't know anyone who has a subscription (unless it's specifically for the Tesla).

My first car had AM/FM radio (single mono speaker in the dash) and a user-installed four-track cassette player. I was thrilled. Fast forward through eight-tracks, cassettes, CDs, USBs, and Android Auto.

Now my Model 3 will play anything from my phone, plus an amazing array of streaming music, podcasts, web-based stations, and more. I especially love listening to several Tesla podcasts! Perhaps I'm old-school, but I live in gratitude for all the incredible choices at my fingertips. Thank you Tesla!

Slacker is fine with me. I also subscribe to Google Play Music and can play just about anything via my phone. Anyone driving a Tesla has much to be thankful for.

Reactions: VQTRVA
So odd that he focuses on updating the sketchpad, but can't add real functionality like Spotify. Ugh. I wish I had it, bad.
Exactly.

Sketchpad............................Check
Fart App...............................Check
Romance Mode....................Check
Chargeport lightshow............Check
Psychedelic Cowbell Road...Check
Mars UI.................................Check
Santas Sleigh in UI...............Check
Submarine Car in UI.............Check
Simply enable Spotify in US cars (app already exists)....... Not a priority

Spotify code is already in place on the car. It is just a setting within the car's configuration. I have both Spotify and Slacker enabled on my S. I use my personal accounts for both.
That's true. In that case I revise my list. Work on APIs after flipping the Spotify "on" parameter for the US. Seriously there's no reason for them to not do this other than contractual obligations

Exactly.

Sketchpad............................Check
Fart App...............................Check
Romance Mode....................Check
Chargeport lightshow............Check
Psychedelic Cowbell Road...Check
Mars UI.................................Check
Santas Sleigh in UI...............Check
Submarine Car in UI.............Check
Simply enable Spotify in US cars (app already exists)....... Not a priority

It’s simple ...

“Not a priority” is code for “We have an exclusive deal with Slacker in the US so can’t do a damn thing about it right now.”

Because he can’t say “Yeah we know slacker sucks but we’ve gotta wait this thing out.”... that’d get the SEC riled up. Again.