Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squares on Model 3 Glass Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a rainy day yesterday and I noticed the raindrops on certain parts of the roof looked different than others. Upon closer inspection, it turns out that I have 6 squares of "different" raindrops on the roof that are in a symmetrical shape and can't be washed out. I've already tried wiping it down with a soft rag from inside, then outside, issue persists.

My theory is these squares are a coating that should have been applied to the entirety of the glass roof, but somehow is only applied in these strange squares.

I'll post some pictures below, with rain, and without. Does anyone else have this on their Model 3, or should I contact Tesla about this?

Without rain, easily seen:
IMG_20181002_104502.jpg

Without rain, harder to see in pictures, but noticeable in real life:
IMG_20181001_155052.jpg IMG_20181001_155150.jpg IMG_20181001_160904.jpg IMG_20181001_155202.jpg

Same here. Figured it was some residue from tape used in either shipping or installation. I don't think they would use tape in a factory installation, so it's either during transit, or my car had a damaged roof and went through re-work (it was manufactured in June, and I didn't get it until September). If it's this common, I'm guessing it's not the result of re-work.

Had a rainy day yesterday and I noticed the raindrops on certain parts of the roof looked different than others. Upon closer inspection, it turns out that I have 6 squares of "different" raindrops on the roof that are in a symmetrical shape and can't be washed out. I've already tried wiping it down with a soft rag from inside, then outside, issue persists.

My theory is these squares are a coating that should have been applied to the entirety of the glass roof, but somehow is only applied in these strange squares.

I'll post some pictures below, with rain, and without. Does anyone else have this on their Model 3, or should I contact Tesla about this?

Without rain, easily seen:
View attachment 340182

Without rain, harder to see in pictures, but noticeable in real life:
View attachment 340178 View attachment 340179 View attachment 340181 View attachment 340184

The fact that your roof glass is a uniform color tint indicates to me that the IR coating was evenly applied. if not, that would be something I would be concerned about. I did see one photo from an owner a while back where he had an area in his glass roof where there was no orangy coloring visible at all and the forum felt the glass was defective. I tend to agree in your case it’s likely a label issue. After more time and cleaning are the square rainpatch areas still visible? Wouldn’t hurt to send a photo into your service center and ask. Do let us know what they say.

On the inside of my front windshield a mist or fog of the window exposes a half dozen 2x2” squares that nothing will remove. Not in a pattern, seemingly random positions. Tesla service just tried and failed too. It isn’t sticky as sticker glue would be, more like an intentional polymer coating that maybe was masked off of some other spray finish somewhere. Plan was to have them replace the windshield next. But I’d like to know what it is first. Also will have to re c-bond it if they do and their replacement of my rear windshield due to cracking has left circular marks from the suctioning cups that also won’t come off now either.

On the inside of my front windshield a mist or fog of the window exposes a half dozen 2x2” squares that nothing will remove. Not in a pattern, seemingly random positions. Tesla service just tried and failed too. It isn’t sticky as sticker glue would be, more like an intentional polymer coating that maybe was masked off of some other spray finish somewhere. Plan was to have them replace the windshield next. But I’d like to know what it is first. Also will have to re c-bond it if they do and their replacement of my rear windshield due to cracking has left circular marks from the suctioning cups that also won’t come off now either.

I have it too but what’s the big deal that you have to replace the windshield? Only shows up when fogged up.

I have three of them too and they bother me. Will they really replace the glass for that?

I had something similar on my old Audi. It was a large area with numbers that would show up when the windshield would fog up. Nothing I did would remove it. I have the same thing with my M3. Four squares on the windshield and a few on the back window. They drive me insane.

I read in another forum that someone used a very fine grit (I think 0.5 micron) diamond paste and was able to polish out the etching.

I do not know what the squares truly are, a guess is they are bumpers or spacers placed on the glass as they are racked to keep them from breaking. Probably too soon after manufacture due to the speed the glass is needed???? In the case Model 3 ramp.

Tesla glass is weird. The glass on my S (Back, top and windshield only) has rain spots permanently imbedded in it under certain conditions is viewable.

I have clay barred the glass with detail liquid as well to no avail. Of course we all have that UV orange glow under rare conditions of dew and sunlight evening and mornings Thats normal.

I had 3 of these patches on my roof, the front one extending onto the windshield. I only first noticed when I got some condensation film on it. I got the windshield part off myself, with Goof Off, a microfibre rag, and a little elbow grease. The roof was more stubborn and I didn't want to risk damaging the finish/coating so I had the Service Center do it while I was in for something else.

They used one of those little circular polishing pads by hand, or maybe it was one of those "clay bar" pads not sure, and lots of rubbing. I brought a can of windshield cleaner with me to help show there where it was, and confirm it was removed, since it only shows up under certain conditions. Good thing I did as it took them a few tries to get them all removed, these spots were quite stubborn.

P.S. When the interior fogged up recently I noticed there's a small square on the inside of my windshield on the passenger side. :/ I'll probably detail that out myself.