Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky front suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drivers side front suspension speaks as I drive. If I get out and lean on the wing it squeaks as it goes up and down. Just became noticeable over the last couple of weeks. Anyone had this? Can’t see anything caught but thought I would ask in case anything obvious to check before making a ranger appointment.

On a 18months old model 3

It could be the ball joints on the suspension arms. I had a similar problem and booked it into the SC. The problem arose when it was cold and wet and then was dry for a week before I took it in and unluckily for me the problem disappeared the day I took it in! No fix as they said there was no problem :/

It can be caused by dirt/grit getting into the ball joints of the suspension arms under the rubber enclosure.

Some people on here have cleaned them out themselves. Think there is a YouTube video showing how to do it.

Interesting that I put in the service request and all I said is I have squeaking in the wheel arch. This is what they then booked in - reseal upper ball joints. So I assume this is a know issue.

Attachments

• CB15A1E6-91B9-472E-91BE-2315B6CBAA85.png
    CB15A1E6-91B9-472E-91BE-2315B6CBAA85.png
    169.4 KB · Views: 278
I had a "black-screen event" a week or so ago combined with an "eCall" failure message.
Put in a service request at Winchester for a fix then closer to the date I'd chosen they said it was a known problem and would be part of some other software fix however they did mention there was an outstanding service bulletin task due on my car so I asked if it could be done at my already pre-arranged service slot as a "while-U-wait" task - it was accepted.
They are no longer using their key-safe thing and in fact now say they no longer need your key at all for their access.
They suggested 90 minutes for the task but were done in 45 minutes.
The task? Reseal Front Upper Control Arm Ball Joints.
(dunno if it was making noises as I'm deaf to squeaks and high pitch noises)

Drivers side front suspension speaks as I drive. If I get out and lean on the wing it squeaks as it goes up and down. Just became noticeable over the last couple of weeks. Anyone had this? Can’t see anything caught but thought I would ask in case anything obvious to check before making a ranger appointment.

On a 18months old model 3
My car did this and it was covered under warranty. Its a known issue of the upper control arm.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Basically any car in 2019 needs the upper ball joints replacing/resealed at some point and seems to now have been added as a service bulletin, I did several hundred miles on it without issue apart from the noise incase anyone is worried about not driving theirs

Basically any car in 2019 needs the upper ball joints replacing/resealed at some point and seems to now have been added as a service bulletin, I did several hundred miles on it without issue apart from the noise incase anyone is worried about not driving theirs

I'm thinking it's a mileage as well as a time thing. Mine are still OK but then I've only done 15,000 miles in the 2 yrs ... rather less than otherwise, due to the obvious ..