Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Fog Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what should I do? Talk to Tesla sales manager and say they legally need to enable them?

really upsetting that they software lock safety features... really irresponsible
Yes absolutely do that. and show them the link to the MOT rules that I posted above.
Of course technically it they cannot or will not enable them then they might just offer to remove them which would also be legal. Make sure they give them back though ( they are yours) you can sell them on Ebay.
Technically they could also just enable one of them since the rule seem to be that at least 1/2 has to function :)
If that doesn't work tweet Elon!
The good news is you have 3 years to sort it out!

Has anyone been successful in getting front fog lights retrofitted in a SR+?

Appears some people ordered after the change in SR+ spec (around July timeframe I think) and the delivered car has front fogs but cannot be activated and SC will not wire up. How silly.

I’m still hopeful my blanking plates will be replaced with working front fogs as I ordered back in May. SC say they’ve now worked out how to do it and awaiting parts.

Reactions: mlkmade
Has anyone been successful in getting front fog lights retrofitted in a SR+?

Appears some people ordered after the change in SR+ spec (around July timeframe I think) and the delivered car has front fogs but cannot be activated and SC will not wire up. How silly.

I’m still hopeful my blanking plates will be replaced with working front fogs as I ordered back in May. SC say they’ve now worked out how to do it and awaiting parts.

I took mine in last week for a few issues and said that was one of them. I have bulbs and everything. Nothing they can do they said. Your SC said they will fix for you?

SC said they would retrofit front fogs and awaiting parts.

Did you order your SR+ before front fogs were removed from the partial premium spec? Sometime in July timeframe I think

Nope, August 10th. I know the deal...was just hoping I could get them activated. Like I said, I have the bulbs and everything, no black plates. They worked the first week along with heated rear seats, then it got taken away :(

Shoot, I would even pay to activate them!

If the front fog lights are not enabled (I.e no means to turn them on) then the car is not deemed to be equipped with them so you would not fail your MOT.

Notwithstanding they are most often used (in contradiction to the Highway Code) by many whenever they have their headlights on in the mistaken belief it improves visibility (or makes the car look cool) - but instead dazzle others and can lead to an on the spot fine. In any case front fog lights have been generally agreed to offer very little benefit even in fog - hence why not universally deployed. I drive 20k miles a year and have never encountered conditions where they were of help. As you can tell this is one of my bugbears - you could have mine if I could transfer/sell the enabling from my vehicle.

Nope, August 10th. I know the deal...was just hoping I could get them activated. Like I said, I have the bulbs and everything, no black plates. They worked the first week along with heated rear seats, then it got taken away :(

Shoot, I would even pay to activate them!

That’s frustrating, especially as you have the bulbs and were even able to use them for a bit. Unfortunately this is the Tesla way and there’s probably no easy way for the Tesla humans to circumvent/override the Tesla (ro)bots.

SC tried to enable them for me. They added the fog lights as an option on my car and the button showed up under the shortcut menu. Turning it on and off did nothing. under the lights menu no fog lights button appeared.

he also said that the fogs and the yellow parking light in the fog housing are all on the same wiring harness so it’s definitely software locked.

he reached out to someone in engineering and they said only someone in sales can activate it by adding it to my cars options but that both sales and service have been instructed not to enable for anyone post whenever they removed it from the SR+.... this is really annoying since I was told by sales originally that the main difference between SR and SR+ was fogs, 20 miles, and software locked center front speaker.

SC tried to enable them for me. They added the fog lights as an option on my car and the button showed up under the shortcut menu. Turning it on and off did nothing. under the lights menu no fog lights button appeared.

he also said that the fogs and the yellow parking light in the fog housing are all on the same wiring harness so it’s definitely software locked.

he reached out to someone in engineering and they said only someone in sales can activate it by adding it to my cars options but that both sales and service have been instructed not to enable for anyone post whenever they removed it from the SR+.... this is really annoying since I was told by sales originally that the main difference between SR and SR+ was fogs, 20 miles, and software locked center front speaker.

That’s very unfortunate indeed. The fogs were in the SR+ spec initially, at least in the UK, and sometime in July they were removed them from the spec. Not sure if they did something similar in US wrt to SR+ front fog spec change?

In the UK some folks ordered SR+ after the fogs were removed from spec but have received cars with fogs but locked by software - that’s kind of cruel as it’s a visible thing. If it’s a hidden feature (eg, heated rear seats not enabled) it’s not as bad.

I ordered before the spec change in July and have been fortunate enough to have fog lights retrofitted by mobile SC.

Having no fog lights and blanks might be for the best. I have fogs fitted as standard and both are now fogged up. I am trying to use them to heat them up and disperse the moisture, not much luck so far though. Its not a good advert for my neighbours. :confused: Anyone else suffering from this?

dd.jpg de.jpg

Meh, my rear lings get fogged too easily, just had them cancel my service because its "normal"
Slight rant :/

On this, i wish Tesla would release this "Within tolerance/Normal behaviour" guide! So we can all have a read and understand this :/

Lights fog up? No problem, read the guide... "Its normal" says Tesla......Normal to what? Every other car on the road does not have this problem?

INFN - new abbreviation for responding to Tesla (It's Not F$£%*%g Normal)
INIFT - (It's not in F$£%*%g Tolerance)

My Passanger door was slightly out, they fixed it. It was a bit better but not great and they said its now within Tolerance? .........WHAT TOLERANCE? Where is this mentioned, who wrote this tolerance guide? Does it have a British Standard (BS) against it? If its not flat its not in tolerance.

Grrrr....rrr....r

End if
End rant

Reactions: MrBadger
I think Tesla have been caught on the back foot by our cold humid climate. I understand that some issues have been escalated to engineering, but all rather a bit too late. Terrible advert for Tesla. I only once had a car that suffered from this much humidity build up in various parts and that had a hole in the floor - and the heater or component warmth would clear it - neither works on many of these issues.

I wonder how much (any?) testing they actually did in these climes? Some of the things are just basic errors that other manufacturers solved ages ago, others are new unique that other manufacturers would not have allowed themselves go get wrong in the first place.