Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR or SR+ standard maps and navigation upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys I think there is a fundamental flaw in our thinking process, the aforementioned website

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

Discusses the premium connectivity options for Teslas before the Standard and Standard Partial Premium models were released. I just chatted with a Tesla support person online and they said that the live traffic navigation routing is not included on the Standard and Standard Partial Premium models:

"So it doesn't look like the maps will re-route you through a varying street or back-road but it should still display the live forecast for the traffic itself."

When I asked if he could clarify what that display would be, he said he didn't know. Also I asked about climate control, I was confused because if there is no OTA updates through a cell connection, I wanted to make sure that Standard and Standard Partial Premium models would still have a cell connection so that I could control the car with my phone:

"That is a great question, the updates most certainly require WiFi updates but if you're hoping to pre-condition the vehicle the app can still communicate to the vehicle over an internet network and does not have to be within Bluetooth range."

Actually now that I re-read this, I'm assuming he meant that the app can still communicate to the vehicle over an internet network AND the car can connect to the internet over its own cell data / 4G connection.

He is confused.

SR and SR+ still receive traffic data and use it to reroute around traffic jams when possible. They just don’t display the red and yellow lines on the maps to save on cellular data.

And both SR and SR+ have full LTE connectivity for maps and for remote access via the app. They just don’t use the cellular connection for music streaming.

Most of the stuff that the sales and support teams say is just plain wrong.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
Okay just got off the phone with a Tesla rep. She said that the SR and SR+ do have live traffic navigation / re-routing, you just won't see the traffic on the map. So that is the complete opposite of what they told me on chat... it seems like a lot of people on Twitter and other forums are saying that live traffic navigation is included on SR and SR+. I also asked about the auto climate control, would I be able to turn on A/C from far away, and she said it wouldn't work over a mile away... so I'm not sure what that means. Thank you OCR1 !

Okay just got off the phone with a Tesla rep. She said that the SR and SR+ do have live traffic navigation / re-routing, you just won't see the traffic on the map. So that is the complete opposite of what they told me on chat... it seems like a lot of people on Twitter and other forums are saying that live traffic navigation is included on SR and SR+. I also asked about the auto climate control, would I be able to turn on A/C from far away, and she said it wouldn't work over a mile away... so I'm not sure what that means. Thank you OCR1 !

Well hey they got it half right this time. They are getting closer!

You can remotely control the climate using your Tesla app on your phone as long as you have a cellular connection available wherever your car is parked. Distance has nothing do with it. The SR/SR+ has the exact same cellular hardware as all other Model 3s. Only the music streaming and live traffic visualization has been disabled. Everything else functions exactly the same.

Reactions: atlg8or
Google Maps shows red lines for congested streets/highways. Not knowing exactly what M3 SR navigation/maps are like, does live traffic without visualization mean only the AI routing knows the traffic, and I don't get to manually avoid a traffic jam when I'm not using auto-navigation?

Hey guys I took delivery of my SR+. The only map tiles are satellite maps believe it or not. There is no live traffic visualization. I would have preferred regular maps instead of satellite maps to be honest. It's really difficult seeing street names in the satellite maps. Overall I really wish I could have gotten the mid range premium but the option was deleted the day I placed my order. Hope this helps anyone making a decision.

Hey guys I took delivery of my SR+. The only map tiles are satellite maps believe it or not. There is no live traffic visualization. I would have preferred regular maps instead of satellite maps to be honest. It's really difficult seeing street names in the satellite maps. Overall I really wish I could have gotten the mid range premium but the option was deleted the day I placed my order. Hope this helps anyone making a decision.

You will lose the sat maps when 8.3 pushes to your car.

I agree - no internet for SR models. No option to buy later. Nothing. (Very possible that you can later but not for $100 a year)
It is such a great feature that it will encourage lots of folks to pony up to the MR but creates very little (even possibly zero) manufacturing headaches.

The modem might actually cost them something. It was like a $300 part for upgrades on the S.

there is a modem in SR+ per a rep..... just not activated?

Both models - SR, SR+ - have fully working modems. They are both capable of OTA updates for safety fixes, which requires having a cell modem. It appears that as a cost savings method the standard and partial premium interiors do not get streaming services (music, sat maps, web browser, etc) which would save Tesla money on bandwidth fees. There wouldn't be any hardware savings for them, which is why it's possible we'll get the option to add those services in at a later date for some monthly/annual fee. My guess for when would be near the end of next quarter (late June) when they have another revenue push.

Reactions: vickh and OCR1
Since my SR+ was delivered in March with satellite maps in 2019.5.15, I was disappointed but not surprised when it went away after the being updated to 2019.8.4. I assume basic LTE supports it so I would happily pay a one time fee just for the addition of satellite maps. I really hope it’s offered one day.