Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ with FSD or LR AWD without FSD ?

What should i do ?

• Keep SR+ with FSD

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Change to LR without FSD

Votes: 42 89.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a SR+ with FSD 4 weeks ago. While i'm still waiting for delivery, i'm start to question myself.
Maybe should i've picked the LR, for the extra power, range and interior ?
Would I regret not buying the FSD ?
If i change my order now, i guess i need to restart the waiting for delivery from the beginning, which hurts as well.

What would you guy do ?

I was faced with the same question and after originally convincing myself that the SR+ with FSD was the way to go, I changed my mind and got the LR AWD without FSD.

The SR+ is more than enough for my current commute and use, but I thought it was better to future-proof myself with the bigger battery. I want to keep this car for a long time. My job may change. I'd like to be able to take it on some road trips. And although the price is going up, I can always add FSD in the future if I decide it's really worth it. I can't add a bigger battery. AWD didn't really enter into it, but it's a nice addition, too.

It'll delay you some, but I'll bet even if you order now you'll get your car in the Q4 push.

I ordered 10/28 and don't have a VIN yet, FYI.

This question comes up at least once a week and inevitably about 99% of the forum members will respond saying go with the LR AWD. It’s an easy decision because you can always add FSD later but you will get a huge benefit from the longer range battery and improved acceleration. FSD may be of use to you but a lot of members here think it’s not ready for prime time so they don’t tend to use it unless driving conditions are ideal.

You will still get autopilot either way so you have to decide how important summon, lane change and navigate on autopilot are to you. Personally I don’t think they are worth $7K.

Just like they all said before me, go with the LR. For road trip duty, my SR+ cannot go more than 150-190 miles when charged to 100%. I have less than 3k miles on the car, so its not a battery degradation thing. Wish I had the LR. Not willing to take a loss to trade up, so SR+ it is.
(It still shows 240 mile range @ 100% SOC, but that is BS when travelling at actual highway speeds, with passengers, gear, and using A/C, etc.)

Others on here seem to like the TACC & AP. I do not like them, so I definitely would not pay for FSD. If I had it all to do over, I would go with an LR, and then try to get them to leave out and/or refund the cost of the AP so I could have real cruise control that actually worked to maintain a set speed. If Tesla would even let one have an LR w/out AP...

Full disclosure- I don't drive in long stretches of terrible stop-and-go traffic, and that is where the TACC & AP shine. If I did, I may have a better opinion of TACC & AP.

1.) Listed range is quite different than real world range (much more dramatic difference than EPA ratings on a gas car vs. actual reading) so typical answer is buy the most range you can afford to cover yourself.

2.) LR is more future protected from being outdated by new battery technology than the SR is, Ranges for EV's is only going to increase in the coming years and small battery EV's are tough to sell.

3.) FSD you can add later (if you never think you would have the funds to do so then take that into counter consideration). You don't want to go into extra revolving interest debt over FSD.

4.) At least today you will feel and enjoy the benefits of LR AWD upgrade MUCH more so than the FSD upgrade. Maybe in 2 years that will be different and FSD will be truly mind-blowing but as of today FSD is only a minor improvement over the current included AP technology.

Lastly if you live in Montreal I have to think AWD would be useful / better than RWD.

One of the main reasons I chose this car was the long range. Range anxiety is real lol.
Personally I chose to not get the FSD. The current features are certainly not worth it, and I find it hard to believe that anything close to full use of the $6/7k will come into play while I own the car. It is going to be a LONG time before FSD will be worth it.
To put it another way, if the $6k FSD feature was a mandatory line item in order to own a Tesla, I would not be driving a Tesla today. What a waste of money.

I see you live in Montreal.
The first time you crank the heat, while your battery is cold as ice, and you then watch your battery drain double digit % faster than during the warmer months, you’ll know you made the right choice.
People well tell you to use seat heaters as they are more efficient. I say try telling that to your significant other (or EV newbies) when they ride with you.

Reactions: tarballqc
I see you live in Montreal.
The first time you crank the heat, while your battery is cold as ice, and you then watch your battery drain double digit % faster than during the warmer months, you’ll know you made the right choice.
People well tell you to use seat heaters as they are more efficient. I say try telling that to your significant other (or EV newbies) when they ride with you.

Yes exactly. I find the windshield to be way too foggy to just use the seat heaters anyway.
For $7k I think I can manage to get out of a parking spot. Amazing what becomes a "need" as times goes on!

Just like they all said before me, go with the LR. For road trip duty, my SR+ cannot go more than 150-190 miles when charged to 100%. I have less than 3k miles on the car, so its not a battery degradation thing. Wish I had the LR. Not willing to take a loss to trade up, so SR+ it is.
(It still shows 240 mile range @ 100% SOC, but that is BS when travelling at actual highway speeds, with passengers, gear, and using A/C, etc.)

Others on here seem to like the TACC & AP. I do not like them, so I definitely would not pay for FSD. If I had it all to do over, I would go with an LR, and then try to get them to leave out and/or refund the cost of the AP so I could have real cruise control that actually worked to maintain a set speed. If Tesla would even let one have an LR w/out AP...

Full disclosure- I don't drive in long stretches of terrible stop-and-go traffic, and that is where the TACC & AP shine. If I did, I may have a better opinion of TACC & AP.
I have both. There is no doubt in my mind that the extra money I spent on LR was better spent than the speculative play I made on FSD, which -- especially in Europe -- is a long way from being redeemed.