Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard 85 uncorking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And whitex it seems you were in fact a recipient of some upgrades... Why so much hate man??
"2017 Model S 6075D, VIN 176xxx, 19", NG Seats, Premium Pkg, SubZero, AP2 HW, Uncorked"
Also looks like he sold his first car... knowing full well they aren't going to take the liability to pop off a 2013, which hurts their future sales and wastes their time understanding the ramifications and safety of it all.

Serious question. Did you buy it used or have you owned it since day 1?

I'll go into more details on a separate post and elaborate on how incredible Tesla was in helping throughout the process.

But this was my father's car, he bought it brand new in Toronto back in 2013 (VIN 21XXX), unfortunately he passed away a few months ago and left me the car. I inherited it and brought it down to Florida.

I'm looking into buying a CPO S since Tesla is being greedy and won't build my base Model 3 anytime soon, they choose to build huge profit cars instead.

60 KW Model S's in 2013-2014 (only thing in my price range) have a 0-60 of 5.9, and that's kinda slow. At the Model 3 reveal on 3/31/2016, Elon said "At Tesla we don't build slow cars". I was hoping to get it sauced up a bit, but based on the other posts here, I don't think Tesla will tune my car for a better 0-60.

You seem to be taking this very personally?

"Dear Tesla engineers,

Given the recent software updates and introduction of 'Sport' mode to a number of models, which resulted in increased 0-60 performance. Loyal owners of the standard Model S 85 (RWD) and early adopters are extremely interested in similar functionality for their vehicles.
If this is not possible, we would love to understand the reasoning behind this decision and differences which makes it possible for the other models. This brings peace of mind as well as guidance for future decisions / upgrades within the Tesla family.

- Many thanks!"

- Is that so bad? lol ;)
Not bad at all - I don't think it would do much but harmless inquiry IMO - its tone is a bit different than "I say we keep pushing this!! I see no technical reason Tesla cant uncork the older standard MS 85!! Pretty much every other Model S has at some point received a performance upgrade" and "How do we take this up the chain?", which was what I was commenting on.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyG
And whitex it seems you were in fact a recipient of some upgrades... Why so much hate man??
"2017 Model S 6075D, VIN 176xxx, 19", NG Seats, Premium Pkg, SubZero, AP2 HW, Uncorked"
No hate. Just commenting on the tone of the messages which seemed like "The other guys got something, so we should too". Yes, I got the uncorking, very happy to get it, but wouldn't be here complaining if I didn't get one (actually on my first inquiry I was declined, never came here to complain). That said, if you look at the remainder of my signature, you will also find I paid for a 691hp car and got 463hp and an excuse that the car is capable but not the battery or wiring. There I do believe Tesla owes me (and will NEVER deliver), but 75D uncork was a nice bonus I was not entitled to (still, even hp to hp it doesn't even out between P85D rip off and 75D bonus). I'm also missing 4KWh from my 85KWh battery, as it turned out later it is only 81KWh battery with 77KWh usable.

Not bad at all - I don't think it would do much but harmless inquiry IMO - its tone is a bit different than "I say we keep pushing this!! I see no technical reason Tesla cant uncork the older standard MS 85!! Pretty much every other Model S has at some point received a performance upgrade" and "How do we take this up the chain?", which was what I was commenting on.

Like others have said I'd be willing to even pay for this (although that would kinda suck considering others did not pay for their uncorking). But this is even quite normal...

Not sure how much you know about other cars but Volvo, through it's performance division, Polestar, (Think AMG for Benz and M for BMW) started offering a tune to a number of their cars like the S60 to boost horsepower and torque numbers. This tune maintained warranty and cost about $1,800. Ford did something similar as well.

I'm a little late for the discussion about drive units, but I remember well. The P model's motor was the same, but the inverter was physically larger. I cannot (of course) vouch for the innards.
That is the same argument for the new DU0x drive units. Unlike the old drive units, the new drive units are actually labelled Infineon by Tesla in their description, which is a pretty big hint that the inverters are different, even if the old units also use Infineon inverter electronics.

If you are correct about the P inverters, I am surprised that Jason Hughes wouldn't have caught the difference between P and non P large inverters in his teardown and firmware hacking, especially the temperature monitoring at load.

Last edited:
It’s very possible that @wk057 had one of the earlier drive units that shared the same hardware. I actually recall a disagreement with @Ingineer (can’t find the thread) where they argued whether it was possible to flash the performance firmware to a standard drive unit. My thought is that they were working with physically different drive units, depending on the vintage of the car they were working on.

It’s very possible that @wk057 had one of the earlier drive units that shared the same hardware. I actually recall a disagreement with @Ingineer (can’t find the thread) where they argued whether it was possible to flash the performance firmware to a standard drive unit. My thought is that they were working with physically different drive units, depending on the vintage of the car they were working on.

I am flashed to performance, but my motor was a warranty swapped P85D level rear, and my pack was a P rated pack-fuse, so at MOST i could run P level amperage between the pack and the motor. If I upgraded my packfuse (such as Ludicrous or basic p85d packfuse) I could potentially pull those amperages through to my motor.

again, some will argue I got a motor that was deemed to be of lesser performance to its sticker name, but was adequate when tuned down to normal levels, hence being "re manufactured" to that purpose.

If its that easy, Tesla should upgrade all the CPO S85 to P85 as part of the referb. Pushing updates down to legacy cars help boost resale values, and that helps the TCO comparison against ICE vehicles. That is a big parts of tesla.com's sales pitch.

It is, and isn't that easy. It all depends on the configurations etc; and what may or may not have been put in the car amongst warrant work

Like others have said I'd be willing to even pay for this (although that would kinda suck considering others did not pay for their uncorking). But this is even quite normal...

Not sure how much you know about other cars but Volvo, through it's performance division, Polestar, (Think AMG for Benz and M for BMW) started offering a tune to a number of their cars like the S60 to boost horsepower and torque numbers. This tune maintained warranty and cost about $1,800. Ford did something similar as well.

There are probably people around this forum who would gladly take your money and do this for you... Warranty will most likely void. Tesla just doesn't seem to be in the business of taking risks with their cars, especially the older ones.

consider this rare/unlikely scenario: you get tuned up to a P, you cause additional battery degradation and lose range quicker than you were before because the pack is aged, but now is being asked to do more. Now your battery only does 217 rated miles instead of 232. (maybe happened to me, maybe not)

I am flashed to performance, but my motor was a warranty swapped P85D level rear, and my pack was a P rated pack-fuse, so at MOST i could run P level amperage between the pack and the motor. If I upgraded my packfuse (such as Ludicrous or basic p85d packfuse) I could potentially pull those amperages through to my motor.

again, some will argue I got a motor that was deemed to be of lesser performance to its sticker name, but was adequate when tuned down to normal levels, hence being "re manufactured" to that purpose.

Can.... can... I get flashed to performance?

Can.... can... I get flashed to performance?
You'll have to find a willing support participant, I am not their advertising department so I feel uncomfortable handing out names for services they may not actually provide. You will have to be rooted, put on their support network, most likely pay them a fee to maintain you, and if you have the proper pack/packfuse/motor combination they might be willing to flash your inverter with the firmware needed. All this voids your warranty and Tesla will likely never help you with so much as checking your tire pressure in the future if they find out.

So I'm not sure if this has been beaten to death or what... But I couldn't find any threads on the topic so I figured I'd ask...

Why hasn't there been any news or options regarding uncorking the standard 85?

Not P or D just you standard 85?

Anyone talk to Tesla about this?

My understanding is there is no Uncorking for the standard 85...at least not yet. I don't mean to imply there might. The people I spoke to advised that no uncorking was available of the 85. They did not have any information if or when it would be available.

I emailed Tesla with that nice message I had in this thread earlier and this was the response I got:

The upgrades that you have mentioned are not just firmware, but firmware as applied to specific hardware combinations on dual drive unit vehicles with particular hardware configurations introduced at a later date than 2013. As such, the uncorking upgrade is not relevant to your vehicle.

Regards,